Ladies figure skating is now women’s figure skating | Golden Skate

Ladies figure skating is now women’s figure skating

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The proposal below was approved by the ISU Congress.

Reason:
The proposed change in terminology from ‘Ladies’ to ‘Women’ throughout the Special Regulations and Technical Rules of all ISU sports is in accord with the recommendation of the IOC Gender Equality Review Project that there be a fair and balanced portrayal (i.e. how women and men are presented and described) in all forms of communication and official documents, including rules and regulations. It should be noted that in the Qualification System for the 2022 Olympic Winter Games, the terms ‘Women’ and ‘Women’s’ are used to identify the events in which female athletes compete (e.g. ‘Women’s Events’ / ‘Women Single Skating’).
If the Proposal is accepted, the change shall be applied throughout the ISU Constitution, General Regulations, Special Regulations and Technical Rules.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I read about that. I seem to recall a proposal to make this change was put forward by the Canadian federation (who have been using 'women' instead of 'ladies' in their own country in any case).

I am quite happy about this change. In other sports it's also men and women, and not men and ladies.

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
I think this decision means a loss for the sport and its culture. Figure skating always stood out a little by placing more emphasis on things like artistry, style and aesthetics than other sports. It's what makes it special and gives it an urgently needed edge in the competition with other, more "modern" sports. Addressing the female skaters with the more honorable "ladies" than just "women" was part of it. Why they think it adds to the appeal of the sport by taking it away I have no clue.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
About darn time!:clap:

It's not useless to me. And I started watching in the early 70's grew up calling it "ladies", so I will need to learn a new trick, but that's cool. Never too old to learn:cool:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I believe Wimbledon used Ladies and still might. Will this be for senior skaters only? I think it would be weird to see Novice and Junior skaters referred to as Women. I guess it's because I'm older that I still call the young skaters girls and boys. If it makes people feel better, I'm all for it.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So no gentlemen skating then?

If it had been ladies and gentlemen, I would have no problem. :biggrin:

But "ladies" and "men" is unfair. And the fact is that no other Olympic sport refers to ladies is conclusive to me.

I don't care if it's the most important item on the ISU agenda or not, I still like the change:)

cto888

Rinkside
Country
Spain
If it had been ladies and gentlemen, I would have no problem. :biggrin:

But "ladies" and "men" is unfair. And the fact is that no other Olympic sport refers to ladies is conclusive to me.

I don't care if it's the most important item on the ISU agenda or not, I still like the change:)
Agree, I think gentlemen and ladies would have been fun and reflects a part of fs that men/women dont. But "ladies" to "women" is a nice change!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Will this be for senior skaters only? I think it would be weird to see Novice and Junior skaters referred to as Women. I guess it's because I'm older that I still call the young skaters girls and boys. If it makes people feel better, I'm all for it.

ISU terminology up until now has been Junior Men and Junior Ladies -- and Novice Boys and Junior Girls.
In accordance with the new ISU policy, its counterpart to Junior Men presumably will be Junior Women.

fwiw, USFS terminology up until now has been Junior Men and Junior Ladies; Novice Men and Novice Ladies; Intermediate Men and Intermediate Ladies -- and Juvenile Boys and Juvenile Girls.

JustSomeGuy

On the Ice
Honestly, more than anything the term just makes the sport sound old-fashioned and outdated, which isn't going to help with bringing in new fans or new potential athletes. The whole women's-vs-ladies' debate is really quite English-language specific anyway, at least so far as I'm aware.

Amei

Record Breaker
Honestly, more than anything the term just makes the sport sound old-fashioned and outdated, which isn't going to help with bringing in new fans or new potential athletes. The whole women's-vs-ladies' debate is really quite English-language specific anyway, at least so far as I'm aware.

I doubt that it was called ladies figure skating as what turns away fans and that suddenly calling it women's skating is going to bring in fans.