Ladies LP | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Ladies LP

shine

Record Breaker
I'm so, so happy for Joannie. I can't believe how relaxed, confident she looked throughout the entire competition. The security of her jumps, the speed and flow she was skating with, the freedom she has in her interpretation, and not to mention two programs that are her best ever. It's like watching a different skater.
For years I've wanted to see a Joannie that is totally free and express music that I knew she could, and she finally did it.
Well deserved marks and all she needs to do from now on is just get that 3-3 and keep the momentum going! :love:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Every medalist has been over 18 so far. Can this be real?
So many have been complaining little girls are taking over.. Well, not quite.
Alissa looks so happy and proud. I feel for her:love:

I think that rings true more on the national (US) stage than on the world stage, though. I mean, 3 of our top 4 ladies were too young for the world champs. That says something...

That's the way it should be, at least for me. Nice to see the emotionless teeny boppers sit this out and let the women with real feelings show them how it is done.

hehe :cool:

:laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

skatingfan04

Final Flight
:rock::bow::bow:YES!!:bow::bow:

This is the type of skate that I have been waiting for from Joannie since she won Nats in 05 with Firebird. The choireo and music rocked, as did her performance. Whether or not her score was inflated, I can't say, since I'm not a judge, But i think that everyone can agree that she deserved to win ba a lindslide, and she did. I know there were little mistakes, even in the SP, but she just seems to have IT this year. She's oozing confidence and expression. I really REALLY hope that she keeps this up all season. If she does, watch out Mao and Yu-Na. Those two are not without weaknesses, and Rochette has really upped the anti this year. Yay Joannie!!!

shine

Record Breaker
Now, I really like Joannie, but I would wait until she can skate similar programs outside of Canada. Skate Canada scoring usually is very generous toward the Canadian skaters, and has been throughout the years.

That said, Joannie rocked tonight :rock:
Joannie has been at Skate Canada before and the marks were never that "inflated". I feet it's unfair for people to jump into conclusion and say that she got these scores just because she is at Skate Canada, while neglecting the improvements she has ACTUALLY made this season from last, and that her first competition happened to be at Skate Canada.
If anything helped, I think it was the lackluster performance level of the entire field relative to her, rather than home field advantage.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Honestly? I think that the difference is that Zhang, Mirai, and Flatt are not the skaters Mao, Yu-na, Rochette, Nakano are.

The reason Mao and Yu-na and Miki were able to make the transition seemless to Seniors (and Miki finished fourth in Worlds at her debut) is that all of them had solid Jumping technique...

This is something that the current crop of Juniors turned Seniors don't really have EXCEPT maybe for Flatt. Neither Mao nor Yu-na had spectacular debut skaters, nerves and everything on the GP, so I'd like to see how Flatt skates in Russia. I actually think she'd have a shot at winning the competition there.

With the new age rules, forcing people to stay through puberty, I think it's those with the solid technique that are more likely to get past the puberty monster.

It's why I was never on the Zhang train.

fiercemao

Match Penalty
Caroline Zhang didn't have the power, still does not have it. Without mule kick technique, I don't believe she can manage doing 3flip, 3lutz, let alone 3+3. I think the growth has a huge impact on her jumps.

Andalusia

Final Flight
If anything helped, I think it was the lackluster performance level of the entire field relative to her, rather than home field advantage.

That probably helped, but there's no way she'll score close to what Mao and Yu-Na are capable of getting unless the judges start favouring her ala Kostner. Maybe there's an advantage for her in that the Olympics are being held in Canada, I don't know.

Her programs, to me, were still nowhere near what Yu-Na showed us at SA. Both Mao and Yu-Na are fairly consistent at the most important competitions, and with Mao probably having fixed her flutz and steadied the 3A, Joannie will be lucky if she can hang onto the bronze medal position.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Joannie picks up her 3rd Grand Prix gold medal and her 8th medal overall, Fumie picks up her 11th Grand Prix medal, and Alissa picks up her 3rd Grand Prix medal.

emma

Record Breaker
I can't wait to see Rochette's program - basically she and Yu-Na have the same LP score - WOW (yes, I know you can't really compare across events...but, this is exciting news).

Plus, had this been the same event, Rochette would still have won silver - so she is definitely contending so far. makes me happy.

turtle

On the Ice
Caroline Zhang didn't have the power, still does not have it. Without mule kick technique, I don't believe she can manage doing 3flip, 3lutz, let alone 3+3. I think the growth has a huge impact on her jumps.

Caroline's 3-3 was ratified and she received 9.5 for that combo. I don't think anyone else tried 3-3 today.

Andalusia

Final Flight
Caroline's 3-3 was ratified and she received 9.5 for that combo. I don't think anyone else tried 3-3 today.

Could you share the link to the protocols please?

If she received 9.5 for that combo, I'm thinking she didn't have many negative GOEs...that surprises me, as I actually cringed when watching her do the 3F in slow-mo. I notice she's not just coming to a standstill on her 2A this time, she does the same to the other jumps as well, e.g. the loop. Her LP was just bad tonight, and I say that as a major CZ fan. I find her the most captivating out of the new American crop.

fiercemao

Match Penalty

I was referring to the critism she received regarding her unique jump technique. Without that technique, I doubt she can do 3+3. For all the whining about 'overhauling' her technique, I don't believe it's realistic at all. She just needs to get over the puberty period.

oleada

Record Breaker
Honestly? I think that the difference is that Zhang, Mirai, and Flatt are not the skaters Mao, Yu-na, Rochette, Nakano are.

The reason Mao and Yu-na and Miki were able to make the transition seemless to Seniors (and Miki finished fourth in Worlds at her debut) is that all of them had solid Jumping technique...

This is something that the current crop of Juniors turned Seniors don't really have EXCEPT maybe for Flatt. Neither Mao nor Yu-na had spectacular debut skaters, nerves and everything on the GP, so I'd like to see how Flatt skates in Russia. I actually think she'd have a shot at winning the competition there.

With the new age rules, forcing people to stay through puberty, I think it's those with the solid technique that are more likely to get past the puberty monster.

It's why I was never on the Zhang train.

I'd have to agree. All of the top three Asian girls have great jumping technique and they've shown that they are more than willing to work hard to fix their jumping flaws. Mao has fixed her 3Toe and now supposedly her 3Lz, Yu-Na has added the 3Lo back to her program and her 2A is magnificent now, compared to her junior days and Miki's jumps have more height than ever and she fixed her lip in one off-season. That's something that extremely hard to do do, so major kudos to her and Morozov. I think the young American girls really need to follow their example and retool their jumps if at all possible. Joannie was another one who fixed her flutz, so it CAN be done.

And I'd say that finishing second behind Irina Slutskaya and beating Shizuka Arakawa in your Senior debut is pretty fabulous.

Re: Rachael and Cup of Russia - I think she can win it if she skates really well, but she needs to show some major improvement over SA. Her programs are real snoozers and she skates so slowly. I think her posture has gotten worse this season as well.

Last edited:

turtle

On the Ice
The ISU site has crashed again but here is what Caroline received today.

3F+3T (0) 9.50
1 Lz (-0.08) 0.52 (received ! not e)
2A (0) 3.50
CCoSp4
SpSq3
3F (-3) 2.50
3L (-0.2) 5.30
SiSt2
3S+2T (0) 6.38
3R2T2R (-0.2) 8.38
FSSp3
LSp3

emma

Record Breaker
Thank you so much for the link! I'm a real softy for this music (and yes, I like MK's music cuts a little better - and yes cried a little harder when she skated it but...), I have to say that I really, really love this program, and yes, I cried a little too...finally, I might add as I was worried that figure skating wouldn't make me cry any more. Wrong. This was great (imo). I am so happy for Rochette and really hope she can build on this and keep skating both programs great all season.

Seriously, as other said, she looked so relaxed - wow, fantastic.

turtle

On the Ice
If she received 9.5 for that combo, I'm thinking she didn't have many negative GOEs....

Only one judge gave -1 and one judge +1. Everyone else 0 GOE for that combo. If I'm not mistaken, she's the second lady so far this season whose 3-3 was ratified.

magicalwords

On the Ice
Wow.

Good program for Joannie. Very nice program, except for minor mistakes.
Also, great comeback for Fumie! I love her costumes. :love:
Czisny, I'm so happy for her. I didn't even expect her to make it! But great job :agree:
Caroline needs to fix her mule kick. Also, she has no speed going into 2A. I hope she doesn't feel too bad about this result.
Carolina.. sigh.. but I liked her SP more than LP and her LP was actually okay.

And another Wow. Some bizarre judging.
Joannie, she was nice, but her LP score higher than Yu-Na's LP at Skate America? This is a different competition and stuff, but Joannie was "gifted" like Chan. This time, the only difference, is that the result was unaffected. Some really high GoE's for Joannie.

I'm so disappointed by tech caller and judges.
IIRC, Fumie flutzes, right? I'm so surprised that she didn't get 'e' mark, not even '!' and she received +1 GoE for her lutz. I wonder what's going on with their mind.

I already feel so sorry for skaters that went through all that trouble to fix their wrong edge.