Ladies Qualifying Round | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Ladies Qualifying Round

alain707

Rinkside
dancindiva03 said:
Can someone PLEASE explain how Sasha falls twice, lands only three triples, and still is in third place? And how the heck does she have the highest PCS of the night? I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous.

This is CoP / NJS or whatever you want to call it :laugh: ! Just like in ice dancing, results in singles are becoming more and more predictable before the competition even begins. Two falls used to hinder a skater to the point of making a podium impossible. Well not anymore it seems. Lucky Sasha! How could she feel pressure now? Even falling twice leaves her in contention for the gold.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
so are top 30 are:
1. Joannie ROCHETTE (CAN) 29.28
2. Fumie SUGURI (JPN) 28.47
3. Kimmie MEISSNER (USA) 28.46
4. Yukari NAKANO (JPN) 27.79
5. Sasha COHEN (USA) 27.59
6. Emily HUGHES (USA) 25.68
7. Carolina KOSTNER (ITA) 25.64
8. Kiira KORPI (FIN) 25.44
9. Mira LEUNG (CAN) 24.77
10. Sarah MEIER (SUI) 24.64
11. Elena SOKOLOVA (RUS) 24.42
12. Yoshie ONDA (JPN) 23.39
13. Idora HEGEL (CRO) 23.26
14. Susanna POYKIO (FIN) 23.13
15. Viktoria PAVUK (HUN) 21.31
16. Yan LIU (CHN) 21.16
17. Elene GEDEVANISHVILI (GEO) 20.72
18. Nadege BOBILLIER (FRA) 19.89
19. Amanda NYLANDER (SWE) 19.79
20. Julia SEBESTYEN (HUN) 19.77
21. Annette DYTRT (GER) 19.47
22. Valentina MARCHEI (ITA) 19.12
23. Anastasia GIMAZETDINOVA (UZB) 19.00
24. Teodora POSTIC (SLO) 18.96
25. Arina MARTINOVA (RUS) 18.95
26. Tugba KARADEMIR (TUR) 18.94
27. Katarina GERBOLDT (RUS) 17.58
28. Galina EFREMENKO (UKR) 16.22
29. Michelle CANTU (MEX) 15.98
30. Andrea KREUZER (AUT) 15.89

i'm surprised gedevanishvili (sp?) came in so low... kimmie must be in seventh heaven beating out sasha... but i still wouldn't count sasha out, she can make up those points, but it does make me wonder if she has some sort of medical injury but wants to hang on for the rest of this season and then retire (my gut instinct)... canada is looking good with rochette and mira leung is promising too.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
What has happened to Susanna Poykio? I was really disappointed in her performances at the Olympics and now she does not seem to do any better. I have gotten the feeling that after winning the silver medal at 2005 Europeans she kind of has rested on her laurels. There are some very specific areas where she she should have worked to become better: her physical condition, speed on the ice, transitions and footwork. I have gotten the impression from her performances that she pratctically has done nothing.

Last edited:

alain707

Rinkside
Happy for Yukari!

I am happy for Yukari :clap: . She has become one of my top favorite skaters this year and really deserves a very high ranking for her consistency throughout the season ... and the fact she was not picked up for th Olys. She has really blossomed as an artistic skater ... look at her spiral sequence! She would be even better with more musicality ... and a smile on her face even when pressure is on her.
I am happy for Joannie too. I still remember that wonderful performance she did last year at TEB (Paris) on Firebird. I am just a little ticked off because that sudden rise in her marks just happens now when the World Champs are held in her home country. Why not last year? Why not at the olympics? IMO the home- soil advantage is becoming too visible.

CDMM1991

Medalist
She was also the skater that made the fewes mistakes. Don't people think she should be rewarded for that?

flying camel

Medalist
dancindiva03 said:
Can someone PLEASE explain how Sasha falls twice, lands only three triples, and still is in third place? And how the heck does she have the highest PCS of the night? I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous.

Well most of the other ladies just don't have much of a presentation IMO.

flying camel

Medalist
Rgirl said:
Wow! I am so psyched for Joannie! Ye

Too early for me to tell, though my heart is with Joannie and Sasha. Joannie because I think she's been undermarked all season; Cohen because I think her body is the most beat up and IMO this is her last chance to win World gold, or perhaps any kind of gold. Sasha made me think of Jill Trenary the other day. Well-trained and gorgeous, but she was a hairball of nerves on the ice. A real shame.

Of course I want all medalists to deserve them with their skating. The above is just sentiment.

Rgirl

Funny you should mention Jill. I was also compairing her to Jill. If you remember Jill could never skate well when she was first after the short just like Sasha. She skated well when she had to come from behind. Maybe Sasha will be the same way.

MsLutzy

Rinkside
flying camel said:
Well most of the other ladies just don't have much of a presentation IMO.

I agree. Technical scores have no affect on presentation whatsoever. So no matter how many times Sasha falls, her presentation would be whole. And comparing her to other skaters, there's no doubt she's the more expressive one. She doesn't just skate elegently, like Joannie or Fumie. She skates in character, expressing the depths of the role she has taken on. It's a step further.

lavender

Record Breaker
Lanie said:
I've so lost faith in Sasha. I realize I should have years ago. Alas.

I just have to say but what if she wins? Would you become a fan again. It's so not over for Sasha since she has the best short program and can gain at least 6 points to make it to the top.

greig

Rinkside
Yaa good result.i wish sarah meier was in the top 6.But she could tomorrow.Who knows.Idora Hegel is doing good.i am so happy that meissner is ahead of snobby cohen.But i am backing Fumie Suguri to win.
Go Fumie,Sarah,Kimmie and Idora.
i am a bit disappointed with tugba Karademir being so low.26th
Hopefully she will qualify.

FUMIE TO WIN!!!!

MKFSfan

Medalist
I still believe it's Sasha's title to win. Maybe it's better for her not to be in the lead, she can make up those points easily in the SP. I'm lkinda thinking she'd be better off not being in the lead heading into the LP and can mount a "comeback" victory rather than defend her "win" in the SP, ala Olympics '06, Nats/World '04, etc.

But if Joannie can win in her home country, or Fumie can pull it off, I would be ecstatic for either of them! I'd love to see them go 1-2, but the chances of that happening...

My take on this:

Joannie is hot.
Fumie is very warm
Kimmie looking good but needs maturity yet.
Sasha looking bored...???
Emily is ok but not really medal looking.

I think it will be Joannie, Fumie and Kimmie unless Sasha pulls herself together.

Joe

coolio

Rinkside
MKFSfan said:
I still believe it's Sasha's title to win. Maybe it's better for her not to be in the lead, she can make up those points easily in the SP. I'm lkinda thinking she'd be better off not being in the lead heading into the LP and can mount a "comeback" victory rather than defend her "win" in the SP, ala Olympics '06, Nats/World '04, etc.

But if Joannie can win in her home country, or Fumie can pull it off, I would be ecstatic for either of them! I'd love to see them go 1-2, but the chances of that happening...
Joannie winning the title wont be surprising and Fumie has beaten Sasha quite a few times in competitions before mostly notably in GP 2004 in absence of Micelle and Irina. Sasha is never a lock for the win I dont think it iwll surprise me that Sasha gets silver again, for the 3rd year in a row.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
coolio said:
Joannie winning the title wont be surprising and Fumie has beaten Sasha quite a few times in competitions before mostly notably in GP 2004 in absence of Micelle and Irina. Sasha is never a lock for the win I dont think it iwll surprise me that Sasha gets silver again, for the 3rd year in a row.

ITA... Fumie is a clutch skater, so for her to win this title won't surprise anyone... I remember last year all the chatter about Joannie and I'm glad to see that she is truly emerging as a star at this year's worlds. I'd also like to see Yukari stand on the podium. She should've been given the berth to the Olympics, so a medal here would be tres cool.

Here's hoping that Sasha pulls it together for what is most likely her last competitive event at this level... I hope she doesn't live to regret tempting the skate gods :bow: with the comment that the competition wouldn't be as great... :eek:

This year's worlds will signal a changing of the guard and it should be interesting to see how the sport changes & develops...