Ladies Qualifying Round | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Ladies Qualifying Round

coolio

Rinkside
Kwanford Wife said:
ITA... Fumie is a clutch skater, so for her to win this title won't surprise anyone... I remember last year all the chatter about Joannie and I'm glad to see that she is truly emerging as a star at this year's worlds. I'd also like to see Yukari stand on the podium. She should've been given the berth to the Olympics, so a medal here would be tres cool.

Here's hoping that Sasha pulls it together for what is most likely her last competitive event at this level... I hope she doesn't live to regret tempting the skate gods :bow: with the comment that the competition wouldn't be as great... :eek:

This year's worlds will signal a changing of the guard and it should be interesting to see how the sport changes & develops...
Female FS has already changed guard when Shizuka won her gold medal. What we have seen in the past years was just the decline in US figure skating dominance, in women's anyway and the true emergence of Japanese women skaters. Miki Ando and Mao Asada would have beaten Yukari consistently. While Miki Ando had a disastrous LP in Torino, she is still the more technically superior one of the bunch. So I say this could be the last WS Yukari may skate in as Mao will be 16 next year and Miki is just miles ahead of her.

Jasper

Final Flight
Yukari beat Miki in all 3 of their head-to-heads this season. And she's improving, while Ando continues to slides downhill with no confidence left on jumps. We'll see Nakano back at Worlds, I'm sure.

dugyiho

Rinkside
I think the metal contenders this year should try VERY hard to jump on that podium this year, because next year with Mao and Yu-Na, the competition will be fierce.

coolio

Rinkside
Jasper said:
Yukari beat Miki in all 3 of their head-to-heads this season. And she's improving, while Ando continues to slides downhill with no confidence left on jumps. We'll see Nakano back at Worlds, I'm sure.
True Miki is sliding downhill...fast... But if she had skated well, she would be right up there with Fumie, but she seemed to have slacked a bit with her skating this year. Yukari did skate well, but I still like Mao's skate at WSJ better, and I am sure will Miki come back next year stronger than ever. Yukari is a darkhorse for the podium, but there are quite a few good Japanese young skaters that can outshine her.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
coolio said:
Female FS has already changed guard when Shizuka won her gold medal. What we have seen in the past years was just the decline in US figure skating dominance, in women's anyway and the true emergence of Japanese women skaters. Miki Ando and Mao Asada would have beaten Yukari consistently. While Miki Ando had a disastrous LP in Torino, she is still the more technically superior one of the bunch. So I say this could be the last WS Yukari may skate in as Mao will be 16 next year and Miki is just miles ahead of her.

I only disagree with the above because Diva had been on the scene for years & the same is true for Fumie. My comment wasn't about nationality and more about the Ladies have left the building and the younger guard is poised to change the face of skating.

As for Miki ~ until she gets her head together (i.e. get a new coach FAST!!) I don't have a lot of faith in her dominating anything other than fourth place...

R.D.

Record Breaker
dugyiho said:
I think the metal contenders this year should try VERY hard to jump on that podium this year, because next year with Mao and Yu-Na, the competition will be fierce.

That ice is slippery. ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN. I refuse now to buy into all this hype of a so-called "Asian Invasion". I'll believe it when I SEE it. What about growth....injuries....or nerves? And the pressure on Mao will be INTENSE- you know the Japanese press. Can she hold up to it?

Jasper

Final Flight
I think Yu-Na has a brighter future than Mao simply because many skaters lose their jumping potential as they age a little, and Yu-Na is overall a better and more complete skater.

Kwanford Wife said:
ITA... Fumie is a clutch skater, so for her to win this title won't surprise anyone... I remember last year all the chatter about Joannie and I'm glad to see that she is truly emerging as a star at this year's worlds. I'd also like to see Yukari stand on the podium. She should've been given the berth to the Olympics, so a medal here would be tres cool.

Here's hoping that Sasha pulls it together for what is most likely her last competitive event at this level... I hope she doesn't live to regret tempting the skate gods :bow: with the comment that the competition wouldn't be as great... :eek:

This year's worlds will signal a changing of the guard and it should be interesting to see how the sport changes & develops...
ITA about Fumie and no doubt she's good and ready to win her World gold. She's been skating at the elite level since about '99, IIRC. I haven't followed Joannie's career as closely, but I don't believe she's ever medaled at Worlds. In other words, I think Joannie would be happy with silver (even if Canada wouldn't be), but Fumie, like Sasha, really needs World gold to complete her career they way she would want.

Just to be nitpicky, lol...re "I hope [Sasha] doesn't live to regret tempting the skate gods :bow: with the comment that the competition wouldn't be as great... :eek:" I assume you're referring to the comment she made during the fluffy about competing without Michelle. The fluffy was made early in fall '05 and at the time it didn't seem like a serious possibility that Michelle would not be able to compete at '06 USN. What Sasha said was, "When I do win Nationals, it would definitely mean a lot more if Michelle was there."

I guess the skate gods split the difference. They let Sasha win USN but without Michelle there, having to compete right after having the flu, and with less than stellar performances. Really don't mean to be icky picky, KwanfordWife. Your comment is a funny reminder of Sasha's comment no matter what competition it is or what exactly she said. Those skate gods do whatever they want to whomever they want whenever they want. Wish I were one. Maybe next life.:laugh:

Joesitz said:
Sasha is looking bored....???
To me, she looks physically and mentally exhausted, basically like Johnny Weir did in the Men's. [Soogar, don't read any further. It will only annoy you again.:) ] This is JMO, but I think Sasha keeping her weight so low and training so hard over the last four years, especially training so hard this past year, not to mention family changes, have really taken their toll on Sasha. It's one thing to train and compete hard on a low calorie intake for one or even two seasons; it's another to do it for four seasons with the fourth being an Olympic year during which you're a favorite. Again, JMO, but I think these things have affected Sasha's overall endurance. That is, her body's ability to recover muscular strength, power, and endurance as well as mental accuity, for lack of a better word, between events.

The brain consumes more sugar per day than any other organ and, IMO, 90% of Sasha's significant mistakes are mental. The rest is just my same-ol'-same-ol' recommendation that Sasha gain about 5 LB. of muscle under the instruction of an off-ice trainer who knows figure skating, ie, the way Michelle added muscle over the summer and fall of '02. My rec stands no matter what she does in the future with her skating.

Whether adding muscle would have helped or not we'll never know and it's too late now anyway. I don't think Sasha has another competitive season in her. Still, I wish her the best. OTOH, Fumie definitely has many great qualities Sasha doesn't and has also certainly paid her dues. Anyone for a Fumie-Sasha World gold tie? I didn't think so. ;)

Of course the skate gods may go with Kimmie because they liked her, "I don't want to be a one-trick pony tail" comment.:p

Rgirl

Last edited:

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
Rgirl said:
Wow! I am so psyched for Joannie! Yes!

As for Group A, I know it ain't over, but see? I told ya Kimmie was up in the stands at the Olympics not thinking how she could learn from "the veterans," but rather, "I can take every one of 'em." :laugh: I mean that as a compliment. Kimmie is hungry, she's competitive, she's got good technique, she's full of youthful energy, and she's not full of the aches and pains of the veterans. Of course she lacks experience, which may show up as the event continues. OTOH, Kimmie is one determined young lady. Man-o-man! 1/100th of a point behind Suguri. That is something.

Congrats, of course, to Fumie, as well. In '02 she came from a disappointing OWG to win World bronze. Maybe this time the medal will be....? Best wishes to her.

Sasha's third in her group and fifth overall, and although I find it hard, I have to remind myself that placement means nothing under COP. It's the points. She fell twice for a 2.00 deduction and basically is 1.00 out of first place with 27.59 points. Of course, this doesn't mean she won't fall again in the SP and/or LP and 1.00 or 2.00 herself off the podium.

Rochette is definitely the story of the Q rounds. Combining both groups, the top six play out:
Rochette 29.28
Nakano 27.79
Suguri 27.47
Meissner 27.46
Cohen 27.59
Hughes 25.68

Too early for me to tell, though my heart is with Joannie and Sasha. Joannie because I think she's been undermarked all season; Cohen because I think her body is the most beat up and IMO this is her last chance to win World gold, or perhaps any kind of gold. Sasha made me think of Jill Trenary the other day. Well-trained and gorgeous, but she was a hairball of nerves on the ice. A real shame.

Of course I want all medalists to deserve them with their skating. The above is just sentiment.

Rgirl

Jill Trenary was my favorite skater when I was a kid and I remember I loved hearing she was one of Oksana Baiul's favorites too.

And unlike Sasha Trenary won a World Championship.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Rgirl said:
Just to be nitpicky, lol...re "I hope [Sasha] doesn't live to regret tempting the skate gods :bow: with the comment that the competition wouldn't be as great... :eek:" I assume you're referring to the comment she made during the fluffy about competing without Michelle. The fluffy was made early in fall '05 and at the time it didn't seem like a serious possibility that Michelle would not be able to compete at '06 USN. What Sasha said was, "When I do win Nationals, it would definitely mean a lot more if Michelle was there."

Of course the skate gods may go with Kimmie because they liked her, "I don't want to be a one-trick pony tail" comment.:p

Rgirl

:laugh:

Rgirl, you are too funny... it must be difficult to be funny & totally on-point.

I was actually referring to her comments about the competition being easier at this Worlds w/ less pressure. I think she made this about a week ago when discussing the state of modern skating, the lack of fans, etc. I never believed in the skate gods until this season... mainly because us Kwan fans never really have to worry about the outcome of any competition ~ we're totally spoiled beyond belief... and in the summer all the talk was about how she'd step on the ice & win the OGM... needless to say, now I'm a believer!!! :bow: :bow:

I'm all for a tie for the world's gold... I'd like to see Sasha & Fumie share that top spot. I'd also like to see both of these young ladies continue with the sport. I think Sasha would make an outstanding pro skater and Fumie, with her education & training in sports medicine (I think ~ it could be related but not that exactly) would make an excellent coach/cheor/goddess extreme for the up & comers from Japan.

And I looked on monster.com for the "skate god" position, but none were available today... let's hope a vacancy opens up soon!;)

coolio

Rinkside
Well, I say Joannie should get the gold this time, tennis god isnt ready to give Sasha the gold just yet:laugh. But she is staying till 2010, so still lots of WC ahead of her:).

R.D.

Record Breaker
Dee4707 said:
Why do you say she is snobby???

Dee

I'm not the original poster but I can see why some people would think she is. I don't consider her exactly likeable. But I think so because she doesn't give off that friendly air like, say Emily or Kimmie do in interviews. Not snobby but not incredibly outgoing, either. It's the feeling she gives off (not an actual personality since none of us know her personally)

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Red Dog said:
I'm not the original poster but I can see why some people would think she is. I don't consider her exactly likeable. But I think so because she doesn't give off that friendly air like, say Emily or Kimmie do in interviews. Not snobby but not incredibly outgoing, either. It's the feeling she gives off (not an actual personality since none of us know her personally)
The reason I asked is I thought the original poster knew her to say that. I guess I don't feel that about her but if that's your opinion so be it. But I guess I wonder if she is snobby, what does that have to do with her skating? Isn't that what our board is about is skating, not personality checks? I could be wrong.

Dee

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Rgirl said:
Wow! Sasha made me think of Jill Trenary the other day. Well-trained and gorgeous, but she was a hairball of nerves on the ice. A real shame.

Rgirl
Sasha reminds me of Jill Trenary also. Both ladies have a natural dance ability in their skating -- an instinctive feel for movement to music. They both also have excellent camel spins and Russian Split Jumps. Alas, both are inconsistent jumpers and nervous competitors. Jill didn't have Sasha's amazing flexibility, amplitude or textbook layback, but she compensated with serious speed and gorgeously strong crossovers. Great stroking power is a trait normally associated with technical skaters like Slutskaya and Kostner, but Jill was a "presentation" skater who covered the ice like nobody's business.

Kwanford Wife said:

Rgirl, you are too funny... it must be difficult to be funny & totally on-point.

I was actually referring to her comments about the competition being easier at this Worlds w/ less pressure. I think she made this about a week ago when discussing the state of modern skating, the lack of fans, etc. I never believed in the skate gods until this season... mainly because us Kwan fans never really have to worry about the outcome of any competition ~ we're totally spoiled beyond belief... and in the summer all the talk was about how she'd step on the ice & win the OGM... needless to say, now I'm a believer!!! :bow: :bow:

I'm all for a tie for the world's gold... I'd like to see Sasha & Fumie share that top spot. I'd also like to see both of these young ladies continue with the sport. I think Sasha would make an outstanding pro skater and Fumie, with her education & training in sports medicine (I think ~ it could be related but not that exactly) would make an excellent coach/cheor/goddess extreme for the up & comers from Japan.

And I looked on monster.com for the "skate god" position, but none were available today... let's hope a vacancy opens up soon!;)
:laugh: back atcha! I think a whole lot of people would disagree with my being "funny and on point," but that's another thread.;)

I hadn't heard Sasha's comment about this Worlds being easier because of less pressure, but yeah, that could definitely PO the SGs (skate gods). I never used to believe in things like "skate gods" either. But whatever they are or it is, ie,that "force," having recently passed my half century mark--at least on this planet--I've seen too many hard-working, intelligent, wonderful people have lives that make Job's look like 500 years at Club Med, and just as many lazy lying !@#$%s have everything handed to them with another dose of good luck and happiness waiting for them at every turn.

I fully expect physicists to identify this force, come up with a perfect equation to express it, and work until we're all back to gas and matter trying to control it without success. (Hey Mathman, how about it? I bet you could figure it out with the right group of slave-labor grad students. J/K--I mean about slave-labor grad students. I'm sure they'd work for you simply because of your rock start status. :rock: :bow: :laugh: )

Rgirl

R.D.

Record Breaker
Dee4707 said:
The reason I asked is I thought the original poster knew her to say that. I guess I don't feel that about her but if that's your opinion so be it. But I guess I wonder if she is snobby, what does that have to do with her skating? Isn't that what our board is about is skating, not personality checks? I could be wrong.

Dee

It is about skating, but it is also about our like or dislike of certain skaters. And with that comes opinions that vary all over the map. You either agree or disagree with them, and then discussion evolves.

Dee4707 said:
Why do you say she is snobby??? Dee
Oooooh, be careful about asking that question on GS, Dee. After a particularly big dogpile on Cohen, once I asked, "Why do people think Sasha is so snobby? Of course it's a matter of opinion, it's just that I've never gotten that impression from her behavior and am curious why others do," and weee doggies! Did I ever get jumped on by a certain mod who replied, in all seriousness, "Rgirl! You have got to realize that everyone is not in love and obsessed with Sasha like you are! Now move on!"

I felt like I was walking through those talking apple trees in "The Wizard of Oz" who start throwing their apples at you because you picked one, lol.

Fortunately, you got a reasonable reply from Red Dog. Count yourself a lucky duck.;)

Rgirl

Ogre Mage said:
Sasha reminds me of Jill Trenary also. Both ladies have a natural dance ability in their skating -- an instinctive feel for movement to music. They both also have excellent camel spins and Russian Split Jumps. Alas, both are inconsistent jumpers and nervous competitors. Jill didn't have Sasha's amazing flexibility, amplitude or textbook layback, but she compensated with serious speed and gorgeously strong crossovers. Great stroking power is a trait normally associated with technical skaters like Slutskaya and Kostner, but Jill was a "presentation" skater who covered the ice like nobody's business.
ITA, but we've got to stop agreeing like this. People are starting to talk. :laugh:

Rgirl

R.D.

Record Breaker
Rgirl said:
Oooooh, be careful about asking that question on GS, Dee. After a particularly big dogpile on Cohen, once I asked, "Why do people think Sasha is so snobby? Of course it's a matter of opinion, it's just that I've never gotten that impression from her behavior and am curious why others do," and weee doggies! Did I ever get jumped on by a certain mod who replied, in all seriousness, "Rgirl! You have got to realize that everyone is not in love and obsessed with Sasha like you are! Now move on!"

And shockingly, I got the SAME COMMENTS said to me, too.

But RG- I'm curious. Maybe I don't know or forgot but how do you feel about Cohen...do you like her? Not like her? Or just like to talk about her?

I love the way you put it...wee doggies! :rofl: But Red Dog is far and above those doggies.

I felt like I was walking through those talking apple trees in "The Wizard of Oz" who start throwing their apples at you because you picked one, lol.

Been there, done that. About 20 times.