Lambiel Injured Again - No Skate Canada? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Lambiel Injured Again - No Skate Canada?

libby

Match Penalty
Stephane will be holding a press conference this Thursday in Switzerland to announce a "crucial change" in his skating career.

The media in Europe are already speculating that he is going to announce his retirement. I can only hope that they are wrong; I am keeping my fingers crossed that he is just going to be taking time off to heal from his adductor injury.

He only spent two weeks in New Jersey training this time before heading back to Europe for the Golden Skate Awards and an ice show last weekend, but it is a bit disconcerting that he is still there and not returning to the US to get ready for his Grand Prix assignments.

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Stephane will be holding a press conference this Thursday in Switzerland to announce a "crucial change" in his skating career.

The media in Europe are already speculating that he is going to announce his retirement. I can only hope that they are wrong; I am keeping my fingers crossed that he is just going to be taking time off to heal from his adductor injury.

He only spent two weeks in New Jersey training this time before heading back to Europe for the Golden Skate Awards and an ice show last weekend, but it is a bit disconcerting that he is still there and not returning to the US to get ready for his Grand Prix assignments.

Gee, that's to bad :no: Well whatever decision he makes, I'll support him either way :)

kittyjake5

On the Ice
Thanks for the update on Lambiel. Crucial change, that does not sound good.Fingers crossed that it is not retirement.

libby

Match Penalty
He is no longer listed for Skate Canada or Trophee Eric Bompard, according to the ISU site. :frown:

I really, really hope he just needs time off and will be back for the Olympic season next year. I love his skating, and it would be such a huge loss to the men's field if he retires now.

Last edited:
It looks bad to call a conference of reporters. I hope I am wrong and that he intends to skate again. It's so rare to find a skater who can draw an audience to him as opposed to the "Hands Up, I just did a quad and need acknowledgement"

I guess I'll have to rely on Weir, Oda and maybe Brezina.. They are among the rarities.

emma

Record Breaker
Of course I will wish him well no matter what he announces - but the idea of no Buttle and no Lambiel competing just makes me :cry::cry::cry:

In Lambiel's case, I really hope he can get his injuries under control so that he can be (relatively) pain free and whatever skating he does, he can do with that passionate abandon that is just so, so riveting (at least to me) to watch.

Winnipeg

Final Flight
It looks bad to call a conference of reporters. I hope I am wrong and that he intends to skate again. It's so rare to find a skater who can draw an audience to him as opposed to the "Hands Up, I just did a quad and need acknowledgement"

I guess I'll have to rely on Weir, Oda and maybe Brezina.. They are among the rarities.

and Chan........................

shine

Record Breaker
Stephane is probably my favourite skater, ever. I can't remember how many times I have been moved and inspired by his performances. I really hope such a special skater like him doesn't have to retire on such a low note.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Could be retirement. A shame - but also kind of understandable.

Buttle gone, possibly Lambiel gone. That's one way to hand Joubert and Takahashi the titles over the next two seasons.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
If it is a retirement, he'll be missed. However, the past couple of seasons were probably not what he'd hoped for, and if he feels he can't skate as well as he's done in the past, or doesn't want to do it anymore, one can only wish him good luck in whatever he chooses to do next.

Medusa said:
Buttle gone, possibly Lambiel gone. That's one way to hand Joubert and Takahashi the titles over the next two seasons.
Well, I guess Tomas Verner could bounce back, and Oda might get in their way, too. Also, maybe this time Plushenko is serious about a comeback... I hope not.

shine said:
I really hope such a special skater like him doesn't have to retire on such a low note.
Do you think that maybe, in retrospect, he should have done what Jeffrey Buttle did last month and retired on a high note following his Olympic silver & second consecutive World Championship in 2006? We know there were motivation issues, and he basically wrote off much of 2007.

Joesitz said:
It's so rare to find a skater who can draw an audience to him as opposed to the "Hands Up, I just did a quad and need acknowledgement"
Joe, will you be naming names? I haven't been fortunate enough to attend any events in person, but from what I've seen on TV there are other skaters who do quads and connect with the audience - maybe not in the same way as Lambiel, but in their own way. Of course, we are all entitled to our favorites :).

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If competing right now is destructive to Stephane's health, then retirement or a season long hiatus until the Olympic year would be the right thing for him to do. His health is way more important than my need to see him compete. Whatever the news is he still remains my favorite male skater of the past decade. I wish you only the very best, Steph!! :love::love::love:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Stephane is probably my favourite skater, ever. I can't remember how many times I have been moved and inspired by his performances. I really hope such a special skater like him doesn't have to retire on such a low note.

Me too, shine! (((*HUGS*))) ***hopes with you***

On another thought, remember Evgeny Plushenko withdrew from the 2005 Worlds after finishing 5th in the SP due to injury, but came back to win Olympic gold in Torino after having groin surgery in spring 2005 and missing the '05-'06 Grand Prix Series. *tries to hold on to hope*

Last edited:
Joe, will you be naming names? I haven't been fortunate enough to attend any events in person, but from what I've seen on TV there are other skaters who do quads and connect with the audience - maybe not in the same way as Lambiel, but in their own way. Of course, we are all entitled to our favorites :).
I can't speak for Joe, but IMHO I think the disinction is between skaters who project their performances to the audience and those who instead draw the audience in. I can't exactly explain it. It is not the same as extroverted versus introspective, it's not flashy versus understated, it's not athletic bravado contrasted with artistic soulfulness...

A good example among U.S. men would be Jeremy Abbott compared to Stephen Carriere. I wouldn't say that either style is "better" than the other.

But I think the "drawing the audience in" thing is quite rare. Shen and Zhou could do it, also Berezhnaya and Sikharudlidze. I think it involves a committment to one's artistic vision, or something like that. Johnny Weir, Melissa Gregory and Dennis Petukov's Fallen Angels exhibition trio is a good example (easier to achieve in an exhibition, I think.)

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
On another thought, remember Evgeny Plushenko withdrew from the 2005 Worlds after finishing 5th in the SP due to injury, but came back to win Olympic gold in Torino after having groin surgery in spring 2005 and missing the '05-'06 Grand Prix Series. *tries to hold on to hope*

That was an entirely different kind of injury. Plushenko had two inguinal hernias, and the surgery completely cured the problem. He was as good as new once the incisions had healed.

Lambiel's problem is related to a groin muscle strain, which cannot be helped by surgery. Such injuries are slow to heal and improve only with restricted activity. Even skating in shows can slow the healing process, and Lambiel has been quite busy with his show schedule over the past months, despite the injury.

Besides the groin injury, Stephane has always had problems with his knees (he had two surgeries on his knees before he was 20). Last season, he was skating in pain most of the time, and that was before his most recent injury.

Buttercup - There are hammy actors and there are hammy skaters. When I get into the realm of 'artistry', I am not listening to the young crowd ooohing and aaahing quads and selling it all to the audience. I go to the comps to see at least of modicum of artistry. Weir, Oda, and maybe Brezina will underplay all the big tricks for the sake of the music. They do not pose, look to the rafters to tell the world how great that trick was, etc They do not come after me. I go to them.

That's what Yagudin did to Plush in 2002; Lambiel did to Joubert in 2004 and 2005 and what Buttle did to Joubert in 2008.

And you are correct about some of the audience connecting to the skater with the bragadoccio approach. Plushenko excels in this approach.

It's all a matter of personal taste. BTW, Mathman gives a very clear explanation of the two styles above.

Last edited:

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
1st Buttle then Naomi Nari Nam and now possibly Stephane? :frown: I hope it isnt that but Im afraid it is. Maybe 3 of my favorites gone..2 within 1 week. Ugh

shine

Record Breaker
Me too, shine! (((*HUGS*))) ***hopes with you***

Thanks museksk8r. Maybe it's very selfish and greedy of me as a fan to want him to stay, but I just feel that we could still share many more memorable moments with Stephane if he could just hang on for a little more.. I still think he has yet to reach his artistic prime, but so unfortunately he seems to be past his athletic prime... :( But really, he has given us so much, and whatever he decides for himself I will love him the same as always!