Let's focus on the GOOD of this Olympic competition--share here! | Golden Skate

Let's focus on the GOOD of this Olympic competition--share here!

lopesgw

Rinkside
Sadly, during this Olympic competition, we saw events in figure skating we never would have expected, things I'm sure we never want to see again. In particular, it was heart-breaking to watch the ROC coaching team's response to the top 3 young women's skaters and the interactions, or lack thereof, between the 3 skaters themselves ("Attitude reflect leadership, Captain - Remember the Titans:) I'm relieved to know those responsible are being scrutinized.

I decided the antidote for me would be to keep an eagle eye out for what examples of the best interactions between coaches and skaters and between skaters! We can turn the focus to the best aspects of the last 2 weeks' interactions--among ALL FS competitors and coaches ! I'll start with 4 that brought tears to my eyes courtesy of Team USA, and of course Yuzu:

1). Yuzuru Hanyu applauding Jason, and Yuma and Shoma joining in

2). Mariah Bell, quietly slipping in and out of the kiss and cry to hug and congratulate Alyssa Liu after her skate

3). An overcome, emotional Nathan Chen, reaching out to pat the arm of an even more overcome Rafael Arutyunyan

4). 1). Tracy AND Brian colliding with each other as they "skated with" Jason Brown and their compliments and hugs

www.reddit.com

r/FigureSkating - Wholesome moment - Brian Orser and Tracy Wilson while watching Jason Brown skate

401 votes and 26 comments so far on Reddit
www.reddit.com
www.reddit.com
YOUR TURN!!!! Let's replace those sad images with those of true sportsmanship, respect and support!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Jason has always been like that. 💗💗💗

I loved the way the top three pair teams behaved!!

And the way Ice Academy of Montreal kids adopted Alysa Liu and got her ready for her gala! It was so reminiscent of the birds and animals making the Disney Cinderella's outfit for the ball!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I found a new pair team to follow.

Barquero and Zandron from Spain. I had never seen them before that I can remember, and I thought they were very impressive for a young and relatively newly formed team.

So, I've got my eye on them.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think it was nice to see the 3 favourites from Sochi finally win gold nathan, Sui and Han and PC. Though it was heartbreaking to see T and M miss gold in what could have gone either way the pure joy of their clean performance and the purity of it Bravo. Keegan Messings infectious joy and thrill of compeiing and representing Canada with the flag and his grin; and yes the three young Russian ladies competing with all the pressure of the world,, their nation and coach they came through with the WORSE being fourth Not too bad. Madi from Canada really showing promise,, Kaori and Wakaba doing so well, The top in pairs giving it and doing so well and clean;the Japanese men fighting til the end and even though it didnt lead to a medal Yuzuru doing it his way. PC skating sublimely as usual. SK fighting for that silver when it seemed injury and the Americans were going to beat them.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Donovan🕺🕺🕺

Not only did he make the free skate, his skates have been viewed millions of times on YouTube, Facebook and Twitter. He has single handedly expanded the popularity of figure skating in Latin America. A skater who has no hope of medaling at Worlds, or the Olympics, or at 4CC, has close to half a million IG followers. (when I started following him in 2017, I was so happy when he passed 20,000)

Proof that success at the Olympics is never just measured in medals.:rock:

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Charlène and Marco reacting like this when they realised they were 5th:
G_F reaction.PNG

Followed by Piper and Paul (who were probably disappointed in their own placement/at having a lift error) rushing over to hug and congratulate them:
With G_P.PNG

Followed by Barbara gate-crashing G/F's interview with EuroSport Italia to hug them and tell them how happy she was! :laugh:

In general, I loved seeing the camaraderie between all the skaters, the videos of them in the audience cheering on their teammates and other competitors, them rushing into the kiss and cry/green room to congratulate each other, all the funny and sweet photos on social media of skaters from various countries hanging out and having fun, on and off the ice.

lopesgw

Rinkside

And the way Ice Academy of Montreal kids adopted Alysa Liu and got her ready for her gala! It was so reminiscent of the birds and animals making the Disney Cinderella's outfit for the ball!
I'm going to try to check that out--had no idea--thanks!

lopesgw

Rinkside
Donovan🕺🕺🕺

Not only did he make the free skate, his skates have been viewed millions of times on YouTube, Facebook and Twitter. He has single handedly expanded the popularity of figure skating in Latin America. A skater who has no hope of medaling at Worlds, or the Olympics, or at 4CC, has close to half a million IG followers. (when I started following him in 2017, I was so happy when he passed 20,000)

Agreed---Jason is proof of that, and it was wonderful to see some of the new guys on the block who are coming up like Donovan!

lopesgw

Rinkside
Charlène and Marco reacting like this when they realised they were 5th:
View attachment 5000

Followed by Piper and Paul (who were probably disappointed in their own placement/at having a lift error) rushing over to hug and congratulate them:
View attachment 5001

Followed by Barbara gate-crashing G/F's interview with EuroSport Italia to hug them and tell them how happy she was! :laugh:

In general, I loved seeing the camaraderie between all the skaters, the videos of them in the audience cheering on their teammates and other competitors, them rushing into the kiss and cry/green room to congratulate each other, all the funny and sweet photos on social media of skaters from various countries hanging out and having fun, on and off the ice.
Me too--THAT'S the part that speaks Olympics to me--there were wonderful examples like Elana being hugged by her German competitor!!!

lopesgw

Rinkside

Agreed! Agreed! And thank you---had not idea about Alysa but wasn't she just the most joyful skater?! I'll try to check out the gala story:)

lopesgw

Rinkside
Donovan🕺🕺🕺

Jason is surely proof of that! And wasn't it great to see all the new guys on the block coming up??!!