Let's focus on the GOOD of this Olympic competition--share here! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Let's focus on the GOOD of this Olympic competition--share here!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Happy for all the redemption skates - Nathan, Shoma, Tarasova & Morozov, Sui & Han, Papadakis & Cizeron, Hubbell & Donahue...(sorry if I've forgotten anyone).
And I cried with Ryuichi when he and Riku finished their free skate. They must be so thrilled!!!

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Alexandra Gubanova! :points:
I missed her free skate and really appreciate this link that @Sam-Skwantch posted in another thread (especially because there's no commentary):

Why AG doesn't get higher PCS is a mystery to me. Yes, Valieva's artistry is beautiful when she's at her best but this goes far beyond. IMO, this is the genuine article. Incredible connection to the music and flow over the ice...she goes into a private world of her own and generously takes us all on her journey. And her arms are marvelous to watch -- as expressive as any great dancer.

Forget the flashy quads for a moment. For me, in terms of artistry, this skate is on a level with the GOATs. What a joy!

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The pairs event was stellar. Thrilled for Alexa & Brandon. To think of the short time they've been together and how well they performed in both the SP and the FS. Tarasova & Morozov holding it together for a beautiful free program. Sui & Han showing why I consider them to be skating royalty. Miura & Ryuichi overcome with emotion after their free skate and letting the world know Japanese pairs are finally here!

Nathan, Shoma, and Yuma "chatting" as best as they could in the green room and congratulating each other. Looked like a rather limited but heartfelt conversation. Nathan giving Shoma a bear hug, even though he hadn't been near anyone for probably 2 weeks!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Focusing on the good in these Olympic Games, I see;)

Was there anything that actually brought you joy? I mean, the way Jason finishing 6th or Donovan making the free brought me joy?
I didn't find joy in these Games, maybe because my primary interest is in the women's event. A skater failed a drug test that prevented any team from getting their medals, took a spot from another talented Russian named Liza (and probably prevented both Sasha and Anna from getting team gold), and cast doubts on the achievements of all of Eteri's skaters. Jason's SP and Sui and Han's winning moments were probably what I enjoyed most, but the failed drug tests from Kamila and the Spanish pairs skater really put a damper on the whole event. And then you have to sit there and hear about how it's abusive what Kamila went through (which it was) while the USFSA turned a blind eye to sexual abuse of our own skaters and that didn't even get 1/1000th of the attention from the media. It was just sadly sobering watching everything unfold.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Brendan, ah, Brendan. After everything he's been through in the last two years - being unable to come home, getting COVID, injury after injury, having to qualify a spot at Nebelhorn in a deeper field than usual, then having to face the absolute indignity of having to "earn" his Olympic spot again which should never have been in doubt...to have been so close to quitting last year...

And to lay down the absolute competition of his life, the 84 SP, the 160 FS...to have the FS and the total scores be personal bests...I was a blubbering mess after the free. What an absolute gift and a joy for Australian skating he has been. AND he was given the honour of being one of Australia's flagbearers, something he clearly did not expect. I only wish those great scores had translated into a higher placement, but in that golden field it was unlikely...

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Brendan, ah, Brendan. After everything he's been through in the last two years - being unable to come home, getting COVID, injury after injury, having to qualify a spot at Nebelhorn in a deeper field than usual, then having to face the absolute indignity of having to "earn" his Olympic spot again which should never have been in doubt...to have been so close to quitting last year...

And to lay down the absolute competition of his life, the 84 SP, the 160 FS...to have the FS and the total scores be personal bests...I was a blubbering mess after the free. What an absolute gift and a joy for Australian skating he has been. AND he was given the honour of being one of Australia's flagbearers, something he clearly did not expect. I only wish those great scores had translated into a higher placement, but in that golden field it was unlikely...
I thought of you during his FS. I could almost hear you yelling his name across the globe, lol. ( I could also hear you 😭 when Kailani didn't make the free.)

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States
"Sport is not medals and titles. Sport is emotions, feelings and endless pleasure to do what you love the most. No matter how it ends, no one will ever take my impressions and my personal happiness to become a part of the great Olympic history!"
— Mark Kondratiuk

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Has anyone seen this?

DreamSkates

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I didn't find joy in these Games, maybe because my primary interest is in the women's event. A skater failed a drug test that prevented any team from getting their medals, took a spot from another talented Russian named Liza (and probably prevented both Sasha and Anna from getting team gold), and cast doubts on the achievements of all of Eteri's skaters. Jason's SP and Sui and Han's winning moments were probably what I enjoyed most, but the failed drug tests from Kamila and the Spanish pairs skater really put a damper on the whole event. And then you have to sit there and hear about how it's abusive what Kamila went through (which it was) while the USFSA turned a blind eye to sexual abuse of our own skaters and that didn't even get 1/1000th of the attention from the media. It was just sadly sobering watching everything unfold.
I probably speak for at least a few others - sorry that you only focused on the negative and missed all the positives and joys everywhere else for all the skaters who did skate clean and stayed safe and lived out their dreams to be an Olympian, and for a few, to earn a medal.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I probably speak for at least a few others - sorry that you only focused on the negative and missed all the positives and joys everywhere else for all the skaters who did skate clean and stayed safe and lived out their dreams to be an Olympian, and for a few, to earn a medal.
I'm sorry you feel the need to chime in with your passive aggression and speak for whomever else you are speaking for. I don't feel like I focused on the negative. Rather, the negatives were really the big stories of the skating event: Kamila's doping, Vincent's withdrawal, etc. I'm glad you enjoyed the Games and didn't let those overshadow the event for you.

aliste

Rinkside
I'm sorry you feel the need to chime in with your passive aggression and speak for whomever else you are speaking for. I don't feel like I focused on the negative. Rather, the negatives were really the big stories of the skating event: Kamila's doping, Vincent's withdrawal, etc. I'm glad you enjoyed the Games and didn't let those overshadow the event for you.
But the title of this topic is "Let's focus on the GOOD of this Olympic competition" and you chose to post your thoughts in it. So you're saying that the negatives are good?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
But the title of this topic is "Let's focus on the GOOD of this Olympic competition" and you chose to post your thoughts in it. So you're saying that the negatives are good?
I was asked by another poster if anything at the Games brought me joy (#23) after I did post what I thought was good (#21).

aliste

Rinkside
I was asked by another poster if anything at the Games brought me joy (#23) after I did post what I thought was good (#21).
Ok, well I see the progression (although "nobody died" is an extremely low bar for joy) but this thread was really intended for sharing happy stuff and it took a real sharp (and IMO unnecessary) turn into negative territory there.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Then why are you posting in the "Let's Focus on the GOOD" thread with snark (they didn't die) and two good items bookended by a litany of complaints?

Don't you think that's rather passive-aggressive?