Lysacek sidelined, Kwan to compete (Hersh article) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Lysacek sidelined, Kwan to compete (Hersh article)

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'm not sure what the consequences would be. Can anyone tell me? Will she have to surrender her 145 medals? Will she be booed in Boston and St. Louis?
Will her injury lead to amputation? Will she be disgraced in America? What exactly are these consequences?

I didn't say that there would DEFINITELY be consequences. I just love how everyone goes straight to the word "consequence". I said that she can do what she wants, and she'll either reap a benefit or suffer a consequence out of that. Now, what are the benefits/consequences of doing this event? Benefit: She could get some added experience, get herself comfortable out there, etc. Consequence? No negative ones come to mind right now. I think she can only benefit from doing this event.

Joesitz said:
Forgot. Poor Evan is left out of this topic. There is an article on the USFSA site about his withdrawing from GP Finals and the thing in Boston. He's in serious pain.
Poor Evan is right. This thread already has 20 responses, all about Michelle, while the thread about Evan withdrawing only has two.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Poor Evan is right. This thread already has 20 responses, all about Michelle, while the thread about Evan withdrawing only has two.

The funny thing is that the thread title starts out with "Lysacek sidelined..." :laugh: ;)

Red Dog said:
I didn't say that there would DEFINITELY be consequences. I just love how everyone goes straight to the word "consequence". I said that she can do what she wants, and she'll either reap a benefit or suffer a consequence out of that. Now, what are the benefits/consequences of doing this event? Benefit: She could get some added experience, get herself comfortable out there, etc. Consequence? No negative ones come to mind right now. I think she can only benefit from doing this event.
RD - Don't get so excited. Can you just name a consequence that can be discussed. No negatives but you baited it.

Nothing wrong with getting after Kwan. that's your perogative. It's just that you throw out an off-the-wall descriptive word without backing it up. You could, for example write: IMO, Kwan will suffer consequences because the judges will not like her absences from competitions and injuries are a weak excuse.

RD - How's that one? It carries out the whole thought and it is truly an opinionated speculation.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
RD - Don't get so excited. Can you just name a consequence that can be discussed. No negatives but you baited it.

Nothing wrong with getting after Kwan. that's your perogative. It's just that you throw out an off-the-wall descriptive word without backing it up. You could, for example write: IMO, Kwan will suffer consequences because the judges will not like her absences from competitions and injuries are a weak excuse.

RD - How's that one? It carries out the whole thought and it is truly an opinionated speculation.

Joe

This is the last time I'll say this, but I DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU GET THE IDEA I'M GOING AFTER KWAN. "Over and out", as you say.

But since you mentioned it:

I think the choices she has made lately (i.e. choosing not to do any GP events) is finally catching up to her. (This would be a "consequence" of her actions.) Unfortunately, she was sidelined by "injury" at the beginning of this season. I feel that it's a consequence because now, she barely has any Cop experience and the Olympics are approaching faster than ever. I'm concerned that she will go out again "counting all the spins" and whatnot (she said something to that effect after her 05 QR). Also, during that post-interview she seemed to finally realize where she is.

But this season, she's had a stroke of "bad luck". But she has nothing to "fall back" on so to speak. At least when Cohen was out last season, she could easily rebound and get back into the game. Can Kwan do the same? Stay tuned. It's a different skating world out there, and MK hasn't adjusted herself to it (or at least it's not apparent that she has).

Also, does she know how to maximize her score(s) if something doesn't go right during the skate? Some of the other skaters seem to be able to do that. Just speculation on my part. I could be way off.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I hate to say this but I really don't have a good feeling about all this. I'm worried that maybe her injury is so serious that she is having to give it all up. I sure hope I'm wrong.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'm just taking the wait and see approach. I really think MK will continue. If she decides to quit, that's just too bad.

We never hear anything from her, so we really aren't aware of the situation. But according to some posters at MKF she has resumed training, slowly working her way back up. I think that if she was thinking of quitting, she would have just given it up then.

mememe

On the Ice
I can't quite believe she'd call a press conference at an event to announce she was retiring. That's really unfair to the people who bought tickets and had been assured she would be there right up to the day before. That's not like Michelle at all. If she was going to announce her retirement, I think she'd have withdrawn from the event first, then timed her announcement so as not to interfere with it. And besides, why fly across the country in bad weather to NOT participate in the event you flew there for?

I honestly think this will just be a chance for her to answer all the "everyone wants to know" questions in one place and at one time. At least, I hope so.

tripleflutz

On the Ice
One thing he said has me confused, and that was that missing Nats wouldn't keep her off the Olympic team. The way I understand it, after the rule change the three spots go to the three highest finishers at Nats that are old enough. When they changed the rule about 5 or 6 years ago, they dropped the invitational aspect and made it straightforward and automatic, and cut out the backroom stuff altogether.
...So anyone that is injured and doesn't go to Nats can't be on the Olympic or Worlds team.

No, I think Hersh is correct when he says

"The U.S. Figure Skating Association rule that allowed Nancy Kerrigan (1994) and Todd Eldredge (1992) to be named to the Olympic team even though injuries knocked them out of the national meet is still in force.

"Only the 2006 national champion in each figure skating discipline is guaranteed to make the team. The national results usually determine the other Olympians, but USFSA rules allow injury exceptions.

"The selection process then would be based on a number of results, including this season's Grand Prix events and last season's world meet, in which Kwan placed fourth."

Someone posted the actual statement of the USFS rules a while back, and it listed "placement at U.S. Nationals" first among the criteria on which the selection is based, but not as the only one.

MM :)

Mathman said:
No, I think Hersh is correct when he says

"The U.S. Figure Skating Association rule that allowed Nancy Kerrigan (1994) and Todd Eldredge (1992) to be named to the Olympic team even though injuries knocked them out of the national meet is still in force.

"Only the 2006 national champion in each figure skating discipline is guaranteed to make the team. The national results usually determine the other Olympians, but USFSA rules allow injury exceptions.

"The selection process then would be based on a number of results, including this season's Grand Prix events and last season's world meet, in which Kwan placed fourth."

Someone posted the actual statement of the USFS rules a while back, and it listed "placement at U.S. Nationals" first among the criteria on which the selection is based, but not as the only one.

MM :)
A bye would be great for Kwan if she is fully wanting to go to the Olys. If the hip is not healing well, she would need to decide which route to take. A poor skate in Torino or a healthy body. Not an easy decision.

This is not Disney/ABC. It is General Electric/NBC. How much NBC encouages her to attend the Games for publicity and maybe with a special honor also has to be decided if she does not compete. But that's not the matter at hand. Neither is the Nationals.

The matter at hand is Boston and we shall soon know what's it all about. If the Boston thing is posititve; the next matter, Nationals, and whether she gets a bye.to be given. If positive, the Olys. But the injury looms at all three of these events. It's hard to think that she will be up to par. Yes, injuries do bring on consequences.

Joe

nymkfan51

Medalist
I really just want to say that I am so ticked off with Hersh. We finally get some good news about Michelle after all these months of worrying, and he has to put a damper on everything with his stupid speculations and remarks.
Couldn't we just have enjoyed this weekend?
Geez

Jhar55

Medalist
Wasn't able to read the article, but I sure hope Evan has a speedy recovery. Really enjoy his skating