Mao's programs this year | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Mao's programs this year

newvie

Rinkside
I just think dark and heavy music doesn't work for her.
This kind of music overpowers her and she doesn't look natural in it.

I do respect her about challenging herself with different music, but i think it's better to focus on her strong points than to try new things if she ever thinks about getting a gold medal at the olympics. She should've chosen gentle, light, ellegant music....

Btw, is she allowed to use the fan if she skates to Caprice as her sp? I really think the fan adds huge charm to the program! :love:

Gee

Rinkside
Caprice is definitely better than Yuna's bond program. no offense but it actually hits a climax and I LOVE THE DRAMATIC ENDING. I can really see this program bringing everybody to their feets!

evangeline

Record Breaker
Yay! oh joy. I just hope she makes the GPF. She will have to win Russia.

No, two silvers should be enough to get her into the GPF. And I really can't imagine Mao getting less than silver in Russia--besides Miki, there's really no competition.

Gee

Rinkside
That's what I just found in a Korean newspaper:

http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/NEWKHSITE/data/html_dir/2009/10/22/200910220127.asp

(It's the first time I post something -- so I just hope I did it the right way!)

Thanks. It's always nice to get korean articles in korean with translations. But it's even better with english articles about asian figure skaters!!!! thanks!!! Can't wait for COR, GPF, JPNATS, and when Mao goes on top of the mao with the gold medal rested on her neck...forever~

Nadine

Record Breaker
Earlier today I watched a favorite professional program from one of my all-time favorite skaters Oksana Baiul ~ "Desert Rose" ~ the lyrics by White Heart (not Sting) reminded me of Mao.

Lost in a windswept land
In a world of shifting sand
A fragile flower stands apart
There on that barren ground
You feel like the one
Trying to serve Him with all your heart

And you wonder, wonder
Can you last much longer
This cloud you are under
Will it cover you

Desert rose (desert rose)
Don't you worry, don't be lonely
Heaven knows, Heaven knows
In a dry and weary land a flower grows
His desert rose

Sometimes holiness
Can seem like emptiness
When you feel the whole world's laughing eyes
But if it's a lonely day
Know you're on the Father's way
He will hear you when you cry

And He will hold you, hold you
Your Father will hold you
He will love you, love you
For the things you do

Desert rose (desert rose)
Don't you worry, don't be lonely
Heaven knows, Heaven knows
In a dry and weary land a flower grows
His desert rose

Ptolemy

Rinkside
According to a news article I read, TAT said Mao failed 3A in SP due to her 'weak spirit'. TAT said Mao needs stronger spirit and confidence.
I have been critical of Tat for all the reasons that have been mentioned. But maybe Mao has lost her confidence and maybe that is her biggest challenge.

2004/5 was the first year Yu Na and Mao competed against each other. They competed twice and Mao won both times with Yu Na 2nd.

Since then (from 2005/06 forward) Yu Na and Mao have met 9 times. Yu Na won 6 times and Mao 2 times and placed ahead of Yu Na the other time (silver and bronze at 2007 Worlds).

With Yu Na and Mao both healthy they have met 7 times with Mao only winning once at the closely fought 4CC in Korea last year. That record has to play heavily on Mao's mind.

ayayukiituka

On the Ice
if you have any thought about Mao

please send an e-mail about what you've thought about Mao to JSF.
for example don't do 3A more than once inFS and do 3-3 in SP.
i can see her because her PG is dead when she falls 3A.

she could perform such beautiful programs like nocturne and Fantaisie-Impromptu.
her best jump lay-out is fantaisie-impromptu or its 3Lz →3S

sk8indel

On the Ice
At GP the event today Mao is in 6th place after a disasterous short program. Her score is 51 point something. She is about 6 points behind the first place scorer Julia S.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I don't know what the bigger shock is, Asada down in 6th with 51 pts or Sebestyen in the lead. :eek:

sk8indel

On the Ice
She went up into a triple axle and instead of completing it she stopped midrotation while she was peaking in the air and just kind of went straight down on two feet. She didn't even add a combination in later. She attempted another triple axle attempt later in the program but it looked maybe downgraded? But she has a different dress on now which I like much better

ehdtkqorl123

On the Ice
The judges don't seem to be becoming disenchanted with Mao. They still gave her the highest PCS score of all the ladies here.

Last edited:

evangeline

Record Breaker
The judges don't seem to be becoming disenchanted with Mao. They still gave her the highest PCS score of all the ladies here.

It's the unlisted reputation score. If top-ranked skaters like Mao, Joubert, Savchenko/Szolkowy, etc bomb, they generally get a little padding because of who they are. Mao's not the only skater who gets the reputation inflation.

Okami

On the Ice
It is sort of discouraging that she got only 0.62 higher PCS than Miki, who had her program choreographed 4 days ago (and was not very polished yet), while Mao's SP is a shorter version of her LP with almost the same choreo. :(

Mao starts to remind me of Miki back in 2005-06 season... So much talent, but just stumbling down. :(

Bennett

Record Breaker
I think that Mao may want to go to Japan to just rest and refresh, and then come back to Russia and stay there until the GPF is over so that she and her coach have enough time together. Besides, staying in Japan during GPF would be hard for her emotionally. She could accompany her mother to get emotional support if possible.

Bennett

Record Breaker
News

According to the press, Mao is not going to change the music, but considers changing the program elements.

ETA:
TAT and Mao had a talk and then "My teacher (TAT) was undecided/hesitant, but I said, 'I like this music and would like to use this.'"

http://hochi.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/winter/news/20091025-OHT1T00234.htm

While trying to decide the music for this season, she also had had Franz Liszt gentle piano music as a potential piece of music for LP. But they say Mao seemed to have thought that it was too gentle and too lovely and that she had wanted something that pushes her forward.
http://hochi.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/winter/news/20091023-OHT1T00266.htm?from=related

Last edited:

turtle

On the Ice
According to the press, Mao is not going to change the music, but considers changing the program elements.

Did she say anything about how she might change her program elements? Will she keep three triple axels?