Mao's programs this year | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Mao's programs this year

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
According to the media, she feels strongly about 3A. Did not mention how many and in which though.

Thank you for the update.

So no changes with programs or coaching. It is not for me to second guess Mao's decision. I wish her the best for the rest of the season and hope that she gets some of her jumps back. Whatever happens will happen.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
apparently, yes. :frown:

That is a HUGE risk, which could either end in disaster (COR) or triumph. I suppose she think she needs it to compete against Yuna, but I wonder if she'll even be able to manage one under the Oly pressure.

kandidy

Final Flight
Au revoir, gold medal olympic next year...
Three triple axels !
How many she accomplished this year? 2 out of ur 9?
Please Mao ! COme back to your sense! Try any year that is not Olympic year!

hongligl

Final Flight
I'm upset about her coach's comment! If Mao had won two Gold would she still mention that she had not spent much time with her and they were not close?

I would say change coach Mao! Not because of bad result but her reaction after the failure! Being a coach it is not very ethical to imply that "it 's not my fault, you see".

Be strong and smart, Mao!

ayayukiituka

On the Ice
Did she say anything about how she might change her program elements? Will she keep three triple axels?

yes,she was asked"do you want to change programs?. but she answered"i love these two music so i don't want to.
and she also continue three triple axles...she becomes 3A creazy...
please change your mind if you want to win at Olimpic.
i'm at a loss whether i send an e-mail to JSfF or not.

SusieH

On the Ice
It seems she hasn't made any decision about the exact layout yet and simply claimed she won't give 3A up, so maybe she will just keep one, who knows? After some regrouping, she should be able to manage at least one 3A.

To speak the truth, as far as points are concerned, music choices and the program layout really aren't that important (I can't believe I'm saying that. ;)). I do appreciate those skaters who make the efforts to pick interesting music and give us creative choreography. But at the end of the day, what really counts, in the majority of cases, is jumps. As long as Mao can land her jumps, there is nothing to worry about. And that is what concerns me now. All her jumps have become so inconsistent. I hope it's just a temporary mental thing. :(

Anyway, best of luck to Mao. Above all, I hope she can somewhat manage to shake some of the pressure off her back, and be happy and confident again :)

ETA: just read ayayukiituka's post. So did she indeed claim she will keep the "3" 3A layout?

Last edited:

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
It's seems like Mao's team is not being honest with her that the 3Axels are hindering her performances. She needs to return to her old strategy and incorporate the new elements she learned into her programs.

SusieH

On the Ice
Self-determination is a good quality. But this "three triple axels" layout is a big decision (if she is indeed gonna stick with that layout). She should spend some time carefully considering all the pros and cons before committing herself to this grand plan. After all, she just finished a very emotional competition. She should really take some time off.

In fact I think she should just go back to Japan and relax for some weeks without thinking about anything related to skating. Eat plenty of her favorite food, go to sing some karaoke with her friends...just do something she likes outside her skating life. Then she can regroup and make decisions about her future.

ayayukiituka

On the Ice
she decided she'll come back to Nagoya.i don't know she'll train there alone,i sent an e-mail toJSF to train with jump coach though.

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
Just thinking of the patterns, she seems sensitive, delicate in heart and takes a lot of time to heal from a hurt. She has struggled with 3-3 so much after she popped it for the first time at worlds 2007. Then lutz. Then 3A has always been worrysome. I am skeptical if she can recover enough from these tramastic showings to complete three 3As at the Olympiics.

I feel that she has strong will and can think simply, which can be great strengths for an athlete.

But someone needs to help her with objective, cool assessment of her strengths, weaknesses, and score calculations. Figure skating is an art in which a balanced performance yields the beauty as well as scores. You got to be an artist and generalist to really package and present yourself effectively.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Regarding the music, it's not the problem with Mao right now. I think she is too focus with her 3A and trying to fix her flutz, it's causing all sort of problem.

She is 19, and it's understandable that she will lose her 3A sooner or later. But the problem is she is using all her energy and focus on this jump alone and forget about the other jumps, which make up about 90% of the TES score.

Even if she lose her 3A, if she has consistent 3+3 and/or other triplels jumps, she can get a great TES to match all other ladies. She should follow Yuna philosophy, do what you can do, max out the amount of +GOE you and get and win.

Not to keep digging yourown grave with 3A, 3A and 3A again.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I am just beginning to wonder if Mao even has a skating philosophy..

That is an interesting thought.One could ask the same thing about Yuna.
What seems very clear is that Brian Orser and David Wilson most definitely
have a strong philosophy about training and presenting a skater. For them it appears to be about steady improvement in all of the elements of figure skating.
They are also very aware of Yuna's strengths and are masterful at empahsizing them - just as they are very adept at covering up her few weaknesses.

Yuna has gradually improved each year she has been with Orser. Her skating has become so much more refined and her consistency is rock solid.

Mao, such a remarkable talent seems to be struggling with various technical and mental problems that Yuna and her team have already solved. They keep moving forward while Mao seems to have become a one-trick pony. Talented yes, but too inconsistent and still searching for a style.

I have no idea what Mao or her closest advisors have for a skating philosophy other than expecting Mao's natural talent will carry the day in most competitions.

Last edited:

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm a psychologist, and for what it's worth the following is my professional opinion.

Mao could use serious help. According to http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=420957, during the off season, two pieces of music were considered for her 09-10 season lp. One is the "bell," and the other Frantz Liszt' gentle piano music. Mao felt, according to the article, the piano music was too gentle, and she wanted a powerful piece of music.

Assuming she was honest with her interviewer, this was a statement of a person who did not know herself very well. Her natural disposition appears to be sunny and carefully. Powerful music is fine, but dark music like Bell goes against Mao's nature. When you go against your nature, it takes joy out of what you are doing. Because you are forcing something disagreeable to you.

Mao mentioned that she wanted to challenge herself by skating to a powerful music. While challenging oneself is admirable, you should challenge yourself in accordance with your nature. This is why I'm not certain how much she knows herself.

Self-development and self-understanding occur when you come up to obstacles. Mao appears to be reaching that stage, and it is best when she has someone to consult.

Another reason I am concerned about her is that she looks more uptight this season. When you are anxious, you naturally tighten your body up. This makes you more accident/injury prone.

It probably is no coincidence that Mao never has had major injury in her career up until now. She is very flexible, and her career development has been rather smooth up until the last year. There wasn't much to tighten her up (think about MIki, who is much less flexible than Mao; Miki had severe injuries.)

To the least Mao can use a sport psychologist to do relaxation and performance visualization as starters.

After that, I hope she hires Yuka Sato as a full-time coach for several reasons. 1. Yuka is a Japanese, and they can communicate each other fine. Given the limited time till the Olys, any advantage you can get is important.
2. Yuka is also a wonderful technician who could assist in correcting Mao's jump;
3. Yuka is a gentle skater, who's nature probably is much more compatible with Mao. They can come up with lp which is harmonious with Mao's nature;
4. Finally, and most importantly, Yuka is one of the few Japanese elite skater who knows all the cultural pressure, and managed herself wisely. She'll be a great asset to have.

Lastly, Mao should train abroad. I know Mao wants to train in Japan. If, however, she truly wants an Olympic medal, she should be willing to sacrifice. It's a sign of committment.

I'm not sure where Yuka is located, but Mao should re-lacate herself to where Yuka coaches. If it's the States, great! Mao had to deal with less media, which would be to her best interest.

I know some one on this thread urge us to e-mail to Japanese Figure skating federation. I'm happy to do so. Could someone tell me the address?

Thanks,

turtle

On the Ice
I'm not sure where Yuka is located, but Mao should re-lacate herself to where Yuka coaches. If it's the States, great! Mao had to deal with less media, which would be to her best interest.

You have many good points. BTW, isn't Yuka Sato located in Detroit (or somewhere in the mid west) working with Jeremy? I don't think that Mao would like a big change in the environment at this point as she seems to prefer training in Japan. Of course I'm just guessing. I read over at the FSU board that Mao has requested a jump coach to work with in Japan, so I hope things will get better soon and she will come back strong at Japan Nationals.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I wonder if she picked the Bell after listening to many other "powerful" pieces. She may want to think outside the box a bit more.

Last edited:

cima

Spectator
To the least Mao can use a sport psychologist to do relaxation and performance visualization as starters.

She already has a sport psychologist who can teach her how to deal with all sorts of pressure in competitions. If I'm right, that person was a shot-putter who medaled in the Olympics.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Good. I'm glad she already has a sport psychologist. It means her issues goes beyond sport psychology, and she could use a psychologist for her issues.

Bennett

Record Breaker
The Japanese Olympic committee seems to step in. They want to ask TAT and other staff what's going on.