Men's Free | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Men's Free

bekalc

Record Breaker
I just thought that in the unlikely event that Ponsero or Reynolds wins, and Johnny and Stephen are 2-3, then we'd have one guy on 26 and two on 24 who might (it's a real stretch) pass Jeremy on the tiebreaker.

Can't happen the first tie breaker is placement finish...so let's say Ponsero wins, and Weir takes second. Well than both are in the GPF but so is Abbott..

Actually though Oda may just become Verner's best friend because I wouldn't be surprised if Oda takes the NHK or at least finishes second.

So right now we now it's
Chan
Kozuka
Joubert
Abbott

Likely (Weir, and I think likely Verner)

Last edited:

fiercemao

Match Penalty
I have mixed feelings about Verner -- to me, he can be quite magical when he is on. And he also seems to be happy after he skates, even when he hasn't done well, as though he's just always glad to have a chance to be out there on the ice -- a quality I admire. But his programs can seem less complex than some of the other top men.

I agree when he's on, his quad and 3a are awesome, and he does have the personality to attract audience. I just don't understand why fans lash out at Brian & Evan's PCS while at the same time give Verner a pass.

His PCS was higher than Brian in LP, and is shooting towards 8, which is frankly ridiculous. Kostner is coasting on her speed to get super high PCS, Verner is coasting on quads to get super high PCS no matter how messy they skate. Some people criticize Brian's high PCS, but I believe it's well deserved. His programs are far more complex that Verner's, Brian is also a more powerful skater. When Brian messes up, his PCS tends to drop quite a bit unlike Verner and Kostner.

Kostner-Verner-PCS!

fiercemao;347787 When Brian messes up said:
That's because the PCS are tied to the Tech. Skating Ability plays a big role. Apparently, the CoP wanted more than the GoEs. Its Program Component not Presentation Component.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I simply do not get Joubert's high scores for choreo and transitions in the LP. It's Plushenko scores all over again. SSkills yes I get that but.........

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I simply do not get Joubert's high scores for choreo and transitions in the LP. It's Plushenko scores all over again. SSkills yes I get that but.........

I could not agree more. On the other hand, Abbott's PCS were way too low. Again, I think Jeremy having to skate first in the order was the likely cause of that because Jeremy had the 2nd highest TES behind Alban and he finished 2nd in the LP. Abbott was held back in the PCS to boost Joubert, which is total BS, considering Brian only had the 5th best TES and he finished 4th in the LP. If Abbott had received what he deserved for PCS in the LP, he could have finished with a bronze. I guess I can't be too disappointed though because he is in the Finals.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
You cant compare olympic marks and marks on grand prix events which are more easily inflated! Poor plush, he will be haunted ab his Olympic marks for the rest of his life..LOL
Not much fan of Joubert but he was on a league on his own there even if he lost his compo or at least it showed he is from the old guard.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
It is all about the numbers. Whomever has the highest combined score from the SP & LP wins. Brian did not have the best skate today he came in fourth and I thought his marks reflected what he did. I don't think he was held up. Brian's overall score was enough for gold. Fair and square under COP. But he will have to improve his FS come Europeans and Worlds. I have no doubt he will.

dance4u

Rinkside
Vaughn

WOW what happened to Vaughn - anyone have any word on if he's not feeling well or something. This is the worse he's skated in a long time! Or could he still be freaked out over placing 2nd in his last short and now feels the pressure to step his game up. Which of course may be having the reverse effect.

Too bad Vaughn doesn't compete like he practises. I think jet-lag got the best of him.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I am so happy for Verner!!!!!

I could understand his high PCS. First and foremost, I think that he has fantastic skating skills. His edges are so great. His steps are most interesting to watch. I also think that his programs are very well thought-out and keeps him busy. He also interprets the music very well and appeals to the audience so expressively.

waxel

Final Flight
I like Verner, but I think Preaubert was robbed of silver here. That was such a great skate!

Absolutely not.

Ridicule me, call me names, ban me from the boards, whatever ... but I find Preaubert to be hideously overscored. Even if I could get past the one eyebrow and the pit stained costumes (seriously ... shirt shields or t-shirts aren't available in Europe?), and even though he usually stands up on most jumps, they still look wonky and he's a gawky mess. How he could get higher PCS scores than ... well, anyone is laughable. To his credit, he seems to be kind of a swell guy ... and he does usually stay on his feet ... but sheesh ... I dunno ... maybe I should chill ... just don't like his skating.

But getting past that.

I agree Joubert's choreography is lacking. It's FAB that he's skating so well ... but with a great program, he could take it all this year. It's a music problem, but don't get me started on that ... sorry, not being negative- I love skating more than anyone ... but crappy programs can almost ALWAYS be traced back to poor (or inconsequential) music.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I do not know if this is just me, but Jeremy always looks rather slow in his skating, possibly because of his height?? If anyone who knows about him better than I do, I would appreciate your insights.

I have not followed Joubert closely. But he was so much more enjoyable than I expected! But I feel that his jumps were neither high nor had flow. Did he always have such jumps lately? Or did he have a bad day?

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Bennett said:
I do not know if this is just me, but Jeremy always looks rather slow in his skating, possibly because of his height?? If anyone who knows about him better than I do, I would appreciate your insights.
I agree, but can't pinpoint a reason, either. He's very elegant and polished but not really the most energetic guy out there.

Abbott was held back in the PCS to boost Joubert, which is total BS, considering Brian only had the 5th best TES and he finished 4th in the LP. If Abbott had received what he deserved for PCS in the LP, he could have finished with a bronze. I guess I can't be too disappointed though because he is in the Finals.
And you're basing the first part of what I quoted on... what, exactly? Abbott may have underscored - I don't think so myself, though it's pretty subjective stuff - but why must decisions people don't agree with lead to conspiracy theories? Joubert didn't even get the highest PCS of the night. Go pick on Verner, his PCS was higher despite making mistakes.

waxel said:
I agree Joubert's choreography is lacking. It's FAB that he's skating so well ... but with a great program, he could take it all this year
His SP, while a bit too showy for my taste, is great fun. The LP so far doesn't do it for me. It looks like a work in progress, and hopefully he'll put some more detail and difficulty as the season goes on. I'm not sure what he's aiming for this year; he seems pretty focused on the Olympics.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I agree, but can't pinpoint a reason, either. He's very elegant and polished but not really the most energetic guy out there. .

Yeah, unlike Takahashi or Joubert. But PatC and Kozuka are very fast, despite not being energetic.

Yet, Jeremy's spins are very fast, which cancels out the slowness of the skating.

BTW, why did Joubert have such a stange jump layout at his LP? Two 2As looked as if they had been improvised on the spot. Did he have any jumps he wanted to avoid?

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Yeah, unlike Takahashi or Joubert. But PatC and Kozuka are very fast, despite not being energetic.

BTW, why did Joubert have such a stange jump layout at his LP? Two 2As looked as if they had been improvised on the spot. Did he have any jumps he wanted to avoid?
I'm pretty sure that's the actual layout, and I'm as confused by it as you are! I thought after last week that maybe it was the flip he was looking to avoid, because of the edge calls last season, but he did one yesterday and got positive GOEs and not even a "!". There was no salchow (which he might try to do as a quad later in the season) and he did a triple lutz in combination but not as a solo jump; also, that combo was missing the 2-loop on the end that he had at TEB. So altogether strange. I really think his LP needs some work, but he and JC Simond now have 3 weeks until GPF to tinker. Joubert said last week that his CoR goals were to win and to skate his SP well, so he's achieved what he set out to do.:)

Re Jeremy, I think PChan doesn't project as much as some skaters but he is energetic in his own way. Jeremy can seem sometimes like he's in his own world and aware of the music but not of the audience - and even though Chan doesn't work for me, I don't get that impression from his skating. I've not seen Kozuka enough to feel comfortable with commenting on his style.

Last edited: