Men's LP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Men's LP

Medusa

Record Breaker
And here is my schadenfreude moment
icenetwork said:
The main threat to a U.S. win would have been the Czech Republic's Michal Brezina, a fifth-place finisher last season at the 2008 World Junior Figure Skating Championships.
Would have been... :chorus: Ah, it's just great. It sounded as if the competition had already been over with Brezina withdrawing. And Amodio nearly cracked the 200, beat his personal best in the freeskate by 10 points... He was actually the one with the highest overall personal best (from the GP in Great Britain) before the competition, even higher than Brezina's.

It's such a shame - or not, that Ponsero and Préaubert discovered a wonderful thing called "land the jump" over the summer. At the end of last season I was ready to give one of them up for Amodio. I guess now the little one has to wait till after the Olympics. Which is not bad because I love all 4 Top Frenchmen - but still, would have been great if Amodio had been given a senior opportunity at Euros.

oleada

Record Breaker
Well, it's IceNetwork. They're not exactly unbiased and their articles are always riddled with errors.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I haven't seen it yet, but Armin Mahbanoozedah landed two triple/triples and landed what I think is his first ever 3A in international competition (although with -1 GOE). Actually his base mark was a tiny bit higher than Florent's! I am eating crow, because I didn't think he'd even get to the JGPF, and here he is in second overall!

Re Florent: Perhaps Joubert will not finish in the top 3 at French nationals :biggrin: and Florent will get the trip to Euros at least?

Last edited:

Binthere

On the Ice
Satisfying to see a competition with results driven by great performances, rather than unexpected mistakes shuffling the decks unexpectly

Medusa

Record Breaker
Another Article in French that talks about the baby-frenchman. Joubert commented on Amodio's win:
"C'est sa première finale, il la gagne. C'est énorme! S'il peut devenir le premier Français à être champion du monde juniors (en mars à Sofia) ça me ferait plaisir. La relève est là et c'est cool parce qu'il sait faire les quadruples sauts (ndlr: pour l'instant uniquement à l'entraînement) et qu'il a fait deux triples Axel".
He basically says that it's great that Amodio could win this on his first try, that it would make Joubert very happy if Amodio was to be Junior World Champ [note by me: I think Brezina has a slight problem with that]. He says that the new generation is there and that it's amazing because Amodio can do Quads [note by me: What? I didn't know that. Coool!] and completed two Triple Axels.

Then Brian continues by telling us why he messed up! :scowl:

Beautiful article about Amodio - in French French is a universally spoken language, isn't it? I just don't have time to translate it now. It's a great article. Talks about him feeling 100% French, despite being born in Brazil etc.
It could be that the Brazilian link comes from Dahomey or whatever it is called now. Apparently slaves were brought into Brazil from Dahomey so his ancestry could be Portuguese and/or French as well as African. Just a guess, but if he feels 100% French, that's fine with me.

I don't understand why fans are just discovering Amodio only because he won a competition. I was quite impressed with him last year, and mentioned it in the threads. C'mon posters mention the non podium skaters who have talent as well as those who podium.

enlight78

Medalist
I love floren(highlight of jr and sr grand prix),denis ten, balde,armin basically all the JGPFinalist. Wonderful skating can't wait til Jr Worlds. Didn't expect to see so many donut spins.