Men's short on Eurosport now! | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Men's short on Eurosport now!

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
i think he nailed a quad-triple so I was shocked that he ended up so down whereas some people landed only a triple and still were way ahead of him. I know there is more than jumps but he is a seasoned competitor so I think he should get the points in the program components department.

Shmuzzy

On the Ice
STL_Blues_fan said:
Does anybody know what happened to poor Changzhang Li (sp?).

He fell on his quad and therefore missed his triple he had planned with it. He also stepped out of the landing on his 3A. His triple loop was fine but by then the damage was done.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
There is no way Sandhu will get a medal out of this. I personaly predict Lambiel and Joubert to both pass by Weir. He skated beautifully today, but Lambiel and Joubert are likely to skate better in the long than they did today, and Weir is unlikely to even do a clean long. Even if he tries a quad the other two will pass him by. I see Plushenko gold, Lambiel silver, and Joubert bronze in the end. Under varying circumstances though any of the final 6 could win a medal, although Plushenko has already won a gold, as for somebody saying Weir would do a quad to try and catch Plushenko you must be joking, he would need about 8 quads to do that. Sandhu is right out of it though.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
thank you Shmuzzy - I mistakened his jump pass for the other Chinese guy, Min Zhang. But why is Min sitting in the 11th?

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
slutskayafan21 said:
There is no way Sandhu will get a medal out of this. I personaly predict Lambiel and Joubert to both pass by Weir. He skated beautifully today, but Lambiel and Joubert are likely to skate better in the long than they did today, and Weir is unlikely to even do a clean long. Even if he tries a quad the other two will pass him by. I see Plushenko gold, Lambiel silver, and Joubert bronze in the end. Under varying circumstances though any of the final 6 could win a medal, although Plushenko has already won a gold, as for somebody saying Weir would do a quad to try and catch Plushenko you must be joking, he would need about 8 quads to do that. Sandhu is right out of it though.

Hello? Why do you think that Brian and Stephane are capable of delievering a clean long and Weir can't? When Weir is healthy he is alway consistent. He has no issues with a 3 axel for example. And it's not like Joubert's quads have been entirely consistent.

EvanLysacekFan

On the Ice
childfreegirl said:
Evan interviewed by Gwendal.

He said he warmed up at 9am, thought about it all day long, rushed a lot of things. It really wasn't him out there. He says he has to put it behind him.

I hope he can.

Evan :cry:

rain

Record Breaker
Well, I was really hoping for Buttle to have a great skate - and with one he could have been in second place, as shown by Weir, however, I'm just happy he's not totally out of the hunt at this point. Nor is Sandhu. It's a pressure cooker and the point difference is about one missed or made combo - or really good PCS scores. Silver and bronze aren't decided just yet....gold, however, is a lock, IMO.

Plushenko was a man among boys (I saw it sort-of-live on CBC.) There ought to be a mercy rule in figure skating. If you get that far ahead they just stop the contest out of pity for the other skaters and give you the gold medal.

Johnny was fine but kind of eh?

MM

76olympics

On the Ice
Matt ahead of Evan! Who would have guessed? The only sure thing seems to be Plushenko's eventual and total triumph. It was too bad that Matt stumbled coming out of the lutz; but it was a beautiful program otherwise. It would be great if he could skate his long as he did at Nationals; a medal is not likely, though. He is still my favorite though! I hope Evan has a better long, as well.

ranjake

Final Flight
76olympics said:
Matt ahead of Evan! Who would have guessed? The only sure thing seems to be Plushenko's eventual and total triumph. It was too bad that Matt stumbled coming out of the lutz; but it was a beautiful program otherwise. It would be great if he could skate his long as he did at Nationals; a medal is not likely, though. He is still my favorite though! I hope Evan has a better long, as well.
if matt had landed the lutz well, how much higher would his score have been?

76olympics

On the Ice
He still wouldn't be in medal range more than likely; he doesn't have much of an international profile. But-I think he would have been happy to skate two really clean programs. Oh well, there is still the long to go.

Tenorguy

On the Ice
Predictions anyone?

I'll say:

Gold: Plushenko - no doubt
Silver: Lambiel- will get over his nerves
Bronze: Weir - his nerves will get to him even though Otonal is a much better program

What about Lambiel and Takahashi? Do you think Lambiel was scored correctly?

Tenorguy

Shmuzzy

On the Ice
Tenorguy said:
Predictions anyone?

I'll say:

Gold: Plushenko - no doubt
Silver: Lambiel- will get over his nerves
Bronze: Weir - his nerves will get to him even though Otonal is a much better program

What about Lambiel and Takahashi? Do you think Lambiel was scored correctly?

Tenorguy

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I think that Lambiel was way overmarked. He only did a double axel, he cheated both his landings in his quad combo, and his spins weren't great. His final one looked downright wonky to me. They mentioned that his injured knee hurt the most on spins and I think it showed. I am going to go out on a limb and say that he drops off the podium. Not sure who will replace him though. Maybe Joubert?:confused:

Shmuzzy

On the Ice
Did you check out Sandhu in the K&K? Talk about angst-filled! He couldn't even sit still. How would you like to be Joanne McLeod for the next two days?:eek: Oh well. I guess after all these years she has pretty much "been there, done that".

Shmuzzy

On the Ice
Interesting fact that I didn't realize:

No reigning men's world champ has won gold the past 5 Olympics.
Barring some pretty crazy stuff it looks like the curse is going to continue!

Justafan

On the Ice
STL_Blues_fan said:
Hello? Why do you think that Brian and Stephane are capable of delievering a clean long and Weir can't? When Weir is healthy he is alway consistent. He has no issues with a 3 axel for example. And it's not like Joubert's quads have been entirely consistent.

Johnny's 3A is gorgeous to boot. Plus he has been landing his quads in practice. He said if he has to he will put the quad in and will decide Thursday. I think it's starting to sink in that even a fall on a quad can score well as long as the rotations are there. I think Johnny is on his game...I don't think Lambiel is.

machiavelli

Rinkside
Shmuzzy said:
Interesting fact that I didn't realize:

No reigning men's world champ has won gold the past 5 Olympics.
Barring some pretty crazy stuff it looks like the curse is going to continue!

Hey I think Yagudin has said that a few times! Mainly after his 2001 loss at worlds lol. But also now to speak of Plushy's undeniable win.

emma

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Plushenko was a man among boys (I saw it sort-of-live on CBC.) There ought to be a mercy rule in figure skating. If you get that far ahead they just stop the contest out of pity for the other skaters and give you the gold medal.

Johnny was fine but kind of eh?

MM

Very funny as usual MM...., but seriously, Plushy is totally HOT!!!!!!!
Johnny skated a very great --meaning clean and beautiful -- program, but as he said himself, it was somewhat slow and tentative. I give him a ton of credit for keeping his nerves in check and laying down a good program when it counts.

Plushy is HOT, but Matt Savoie is a beautiful, beautiful man. I liked his program the best.

MM :)