Men's Short Program: 2013 Skate Canada International | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Men's Short Program: 2013 Skate Canada International

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
It's hilarious how people are such haters.

Here's the thing; Chan scored 10 points below his PB, Hanyu and Oda failed to have clean programs so maybe before you parrot "his skating leaves me cold, why does he always win, etc." maybe ask why the rest of the field doesn't step up instead of whining about judging or how much you dislike his skating therefore it shouldn't get good marks.

how can the others step up ?
when Chanflated Fraud gets a whooping 10 or 9 in PCS marks even with his butt landing on the ice many times
with GOES+ for mistake jumps, maybe add +3 GOE also for falling on the butt then :rolleye:

wallylutz

Medalist
when Chanflated Fraud gets a whooping 10 or 9 in PCS marks even with his butt landing on the ice many times
with GOES+ for mistake jumps, maybe add +3 GOE also for falling on the butt then :rolleye:

Seems to me, someone is raging because her prince is a no show tonight, instead, a toad came...

Becki

Medalist
yeah i like patrick's new costume!!!

poor yuzu :'( he will redeem himself in the long program. I actually was going to be put him in 2nd or 3rd place in my predictions, but I couldn't force myself to not put him in #1. I hope that didn't jinx him :X

Kuan

Final Flight
I really dislike that russian commentator. He obviously knows a lot und knows what he is talking about. He explained the idea to make deductions for falls in IN and CH very good. But he is sooo biased! It really seems that he wants to show everyone that he hates chan and loves Hanyu. This is not a fair commentary. I like both...

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am just hoping Abbott doesn't have it at olympics when they are so many good skaters Iknow that is life but to think he couldnt skate cnosistently for the majority of the times and got lucky at olys would be sad. Besides look at deserve and it is more than just the skate it could be karma, consistency etc. in the pure sense deserve is based on the olympic skates but the overal picture not necessary.

:confused: Well if consistency is your only criteria for who should podium at the Olympics, then I guess the only medalist will be Evgeni Plushenko. Maybe they will just award him the gold, silver, and bronze medals as every other man in the world has been terribly inconsistent in this Olympic cycle.

hurrah

Medalist
Patrick was really breath-taking. The sound of his blade was just incredible. Okay, so he did a 3-3, but it was an excellent 3-3, and his axel was good as well today. And he didn't fall!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
:confused: Well if consistency is your only criteria for who should podium at the Olympics, then I guess the only medalist will be Evgeni Plushenko. Maybe they will just award him the gold, silver, and bronze medals as every other man in the world has been terribly inconsistent in this Olympic cycle.
No i didn't mean consistnecy but you or we all have our favourites and i just hope those who hve show a strong body of work will do their best atthe olympics and not som many flukes espiecally in the men. But I fear that the cycle of skating does nto favour Dai and Chan who are such awesome skaters but probably past their prime. Now Fernandez Hanyu or maybe Ten seem to have the title.

pitterpatter

On the Ice
Patrick was really breath-taking. The sound of his blade was just incredible. Okay, so he did a 3-3, but it was an excellent 3-3, and his axel was good as well today. And he didn't fall!

It really was nowhere near an excellent 3-3 :confused:... had a really wonky exit iirc. The GOE on some stuff was questionable (as it happens), but overall his scores were sort of where I'd expect them to be and he had a solid skate. Yuzu's scores were lower than I expected... although he did look quite nervous today and the performance aspect was lacking a bit. I wonder if he was affected by the tsunami news or something like that? Could also be nerves due to the high expectations, or maybe he just had a bad skate today. Hoping for him to come back in the free! (and save my predictions).

I watched the broadcast with a friend who's not an FS fan, and she really liked Josh's program despite the mistakes. She was screaming at the TV 'why is his artistic mark lower than the other guy? he was so good!' :p She also enjoyed Patrick's program and found Oda charming :)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Josh was faaaaaaaab. Shame about the mistake but as Damon Allen said on Twitter, it was SUPER refocusing! I really love this new SP. It's something new and different for him, and older. I'm sure he'll bring it back hard tomorrow!

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
CanadianSkaterGuy said:
After seeing the SP again, that 3A certainly merited +2s. And like I said all 9 judges agreed it was +2. So you're saying they were unanimously in the wrong?

So you really think Chan deserved the same GOE as Hanyu on the 3A? No matter that Hanyu actually had a very difficult entry into that 3A (easily the most difficult one you'll see those days) and good height/distance, good flowing edge coming out and transitions afterwards? And btw, 2 bullet points for GOE =/= +2GOE.

Icey

Record Breaker
Patrick was really breath-taking. The sound of his blade was just incredible. Okay, so he did a 3-3, but it was an excellent 3-3, and his axel was good as well today. And he didn't fall![/QUO

Since when did a 3/3 combo with a negative goe rate an "excellent" designation.

patrick missed the quad today, and did not do this program to its full potential, but other than that everything else is brilliant, this is the program that took my breath away, the first time I ever saw it alive. And I thought the choreography of this program is just pure ingenious. The concept of fill the empty/soft music with your artistry, compose the melody using the sound of your blade is just genius. The step sequence is to die for, also, jumps and spin are perfectly connected with music (this is a very difficult music to interpret). The choreography of this program is definitely among one of the best, just my humble opinion.

This is indeed a gorgeous program, one I could watch again and again through a season. That final spin, where he kind of leaps up into the air partway through and then just lands and keeps spinning, is breathtaking.

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S SHORT PROGRAM - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Patrick CHAN (CAN) - 88.10 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
2. Nobunari ODA (JPN) - 80.82 Short Program, 2nd Copy
3. Yuzuru HANYU (JPN) - 80.40 Short Program, 2nd Copy
4. Jeremy ABBOTT (USA) - 74.58 Short Program, 2nd Copy
5. Takahito MURA (JPN) - 73.08 Short Program
6. Elladj BALDE (CAN) - 72.35 Short Program
7. Michal BREZINA (CZE) - 71.71 Short Program
8. Joshua FARRIS (USA) - 69.14 Short Program
9. Andrei ROGOZINE (CAN) - 68.31 Short Program
10. Ross MINER (USA) - 66.71 Short Program

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
The overall results look ok to me, even though the excitement for the free is kind of gone with this kind of lead for Patrick. Sad that Nobunari couldn't repeat his Nebelhorn SP here, but a podium finish, maybe even silver seems possible and that's certainly not too shabby! Yuzuru looked drained, like a nervous wreck and totally disappointed in himself in the KnC. I still think keeping this SP was a mistake. Maybe the pressure is too much in this Olympic Year. It seems there is still a lot of work to do. Strange, this is not the time to regress. Skills are there, but it seems the confidence is not.

SGrand

Final Flight

He didn't fall on his butt, why keep complaining about something that didn't even happen?

emdee

Final Flight
Patrick was really breath-taking. The sound of his blade was just incredible. Okay, so he did a 3-3, but it was an excellent 3-3, and his axel was good as well today. And he didn't fall![/QUO

Since when did a 3/3 combo with a negative goe rate an "excellent" designation.
The reason why the GOE was low was he nearly hit the boards and had to move sharply.
The actually combo was fine.

emdee

Final Flight
This is indeed a gorgeous program, one I could watch again and again through a season. That final spin, where he kind of leaps up into the air partway through and then just lands and keeps spinning, is breathtaking.

It is beyond gorgeous . Of course the short he did at worlds was incomparable but I think his upper body movement is much better.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Yuzuru was visibly very nervous coming out as last. Right from the beginning he was very tight. hence the mistakes and lack of luster performance. But I do think this program suits him well, and those little changes made this season actually are very clever. His performance at Finlandia were very natural, at ease and connected to the music really well. Last season he may pretend to be the character a little, this season judging from Finlandia, he is the character.
Yuzuru showed very good jump consistency during practice (much better than patrick). I think he will catching up during the long once his fighting back mode is switched on.