Michelle is out of the GP series | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Michelle is out of the GP series

diamondqueen

On the Ice
MK not going to GP

Michelle Kwan needs nothing to prove she is a great skater and person :love: . She is not going to the GP, that's okay, she is doing what makes her feel good. All the years she did what was needed, now she can do what she pleases and enjoy her skating.

diamond :love:

TNT2012

Rinkside
Joesitz said:
Lucy -NO ONE is MAD at the decision. There may be good reason for the withdrawal or just plain strategy, or the beginning of the retirement announcement. We don't know. In my case, I am mad at the withdrawal without explanation. MK has a lot of fans that deserve a reason for her withdrawing from the GPs, and not saying if she will do Marshalls, Nats, and Worlds if she makes Worlds. I'm not even thinking Torino.

If the others I listed did take off from skating, we would know why. Irina is a prime example. They keep their fans informed.

Many posters believe MK does not have to share her skating-related-decisions with her fans. IMO, this is bad Public Relations.

Joe

Uh, correct me if I'm wrong but she did offer an explanation, and I quote "I chose not to compete in the Grand Prix Series the past two years, and I feel that my overall skating benefited from the reduced competition schedule,” said Kwan..." So you don't think that's a valid explanation? The only people who want another explanation from her are the ones who are proliferating the board with rumors as to what THEY think is the REAL reason. We're not Michelle, so who are we to even imply what's really going on in her head.

And frankly, I don't see how her decision is bad PR. At least she gave quite an advance notice of her withdrawal. Was she even given more than a week notice last year when she was asked by the USFSA to fill in for Sarah Hughes at Skate America? Unprepared and all, she gladly accepted that invitation from the grateful USFSA. Certainly her fans who have bought tickets for the events or who are just eagerly anticipating to watch her skate on TV are disappointed that they won't be able to now. But I doubt they are gonna turn against her just because she decided to skip the Grand Prix series again. Most are just grateful that she even remains competitive after Salt Lake City. So how is this bad PR? There's nothing insiduous or under-handed about her decision that should be a reason for the public to lose any positive relations they still have with her.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I have to say I'm with JoeSitz on this one. I am a huge fan of Michelle's and have been for years. But I'm not happy with this announcement, for several reasons.

1. I really fear that Michelle could be hurting her chances at Worlds by not competing under COP beforehand. I know she can bring in experts to review her programs for COP compliance, but it's not the same as getting actual competition experience.

2. I think she's also hurting herself competitively by ceding the GP spotlight to new, up-and-coming rivals. Last year Shizuka used the GP series effectively to raise her profile with judges and fans. As a result, she came into Worlds as a contender. Do you think if Shizuka had skipped GP last year, she would have won Worlds? I think not. Like it or not, reputation matters in this sport. By skipping GP, Michelle is giving her rivals a chance to build their portfolios and support base, while her own shrinks. I don't think it's a coincidence that the judges were a little tough on Michelle in Dortmund. They want her to prove herself in the GP, like the other skaters. For her to skip the international season, then waltz in at the end and win the big one--I'm betting that doesn't sit well with a lot of people, including the judges, the federations, and maybe even the other skaters. (I'm not saying I agree with them, but just speculating on their thoughts.)

3. A lot of people undoubtedly bought tickets to SkateAmerica primarily to see Michelle. Skating event tickets are expensive these days! I think all the skaters owe it to the fans to at least show up for scheduled events unless they have a really good and legitimate excuse, such as an injury or a family emergency.

4. And yes, I think she's showing a certain disregard for her fans to put forth the expectation that she's going to skate GP, then pull out at the last minute for no apparent reason. I agree with JoeSitz: If she has an injury, then just say so! Why the big mystery?

I support Michelle. But as a fan and someone who cares about her competitive success, I am not happy with this particular decision. Nevertheless, I still hope that she goes to Moscow, kicks butt, and wins Worlds #6!

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I, too, think she should give a better explanation. Had she done as last year, just skipping GP outright, then "I think this is better for me" would have sufficed. However, this is not what she did -- she said she'll do it, then pulled out at last minute.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Perhaps this is a "test season" for her, since it's the last season before the Olympic one. Maybe she's going to see what the overall outcome of her season will be WITHOUT competing in the GPS, so she can figure out if she'll need to next season or not. My bet is, she's going to need to. She doesn't have the distance from her rivals that she used to, and I'm not sure that Worlds is the best time to make your debut under the CoP, no matter how many experts you're working with. And how in the world can you have CoP "experts" at this point anyway when it's a convoluted system that's only been in place for a year that even experienced judges are still trying to find their way around??? [By the way, does anyone know if Nationals is going to be under CoP? The USFSA certainly hasn't shown a lot of enthusiasm for the system and it's been my understanding that countries can use pretty much any system they want to for their own Nationals.]

I was in favor of Michelle skipping the GP competitions the last few years, but now at this point I don't think it's wise. For all the reasons mentioned by other posters here, plus it rather gives the impression that Michelle thinks at this point that Skate America and Skate Canada are beneath her. I'm not saying that this is necessarily the case, but this isn't the first time she's done this. If she's injured, she should say so, but if she says she'll go and then then pulls out 2 weeks beforehand with a rather ambiguous explanation, this leads to speculation (kind of like what we're doing!! :D ) which may or may not be fair and may or may not be accurate. It certainly seems rather odd to decide 2 weeks before your first scheduled competition that oh, maybe I should just do it the way I've been doing it the last couple of years. She had the entire off-season to decide that.

sk8m8

Final Flight
I'm sorry, but I respectfully disagree with many of the posters here.

In my eyes, Michelle "Owes" nothing to anyone except herself and the people who help her compete. If we were talking about another sport, or indeed another skater, we woudln't even be having this discussion.

In her career MK has been a role model, has upheld the finest example of good sportsmanship,has always gone out and done her best at the time when she did skate and never, never, never, ever gave up. That is all she "owes" us as skating fans. For those people who go to any sporting event..." You pay your money and you takes your chances." Skaters get injured and get scratched from the participants list all the time.

As for her explaination, it cetainly was more cogent and direct than many of the answers given by either candidate in the presidential debate. And, as we have only elected Kwan queen of the ice in our minds, the idea that she "owes" her fans further explaination is, IMHO, ridiculous.

As for other skaters and what they "do for theri fans" is irrelavent. As I've not been asked to contribute to the "Michelle Fund", I feel I have no basic say in what info is disseminated over the internet, either.

If Michelle offers a reasonable explanation, is doing something that isn't out of character, doesn't dodge the media and realizes that the risks she is taking by not skating are hers and hers alone, then I think all of of who are so "devoted" tto her as fan should take the leap and be supportive of decisions and worry about getting to polls and voting on some vital importance rather that sitting around gnashing our teeth and knitting our brow over a decsion that someone who has proven herself over and over again has made.

You go Michelle, whether you win, lose , or draw, you've won me over with your grace, style elegance and drive to keep improving. I appreciate you and you dedide whatever is best for you. I'l still be cheering from home whatever decisions you make.

mzheng

Record Breaker
sk8m8 said:
You go Michelle, whether you win, lose , or draw, you've won me over with your grace, style elegance and drive to keep improving. I appreciate you and you dedide whatever is best for you. I'l still be cheering from home whatever decisions you make.

Yeah. You go Michelle!!!!

lavender

Record Breaker
By skipping GP, Michelle is giving her rivals a chance to build their portfolios and support base, while her own shrinks.

Well this didn't really help her at the Olympics the last 2 years.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Competitive strategy...

While it's personally disappointing that we won't be seeing the evolution of Bolero in "real time" as it happens, I respect Michelle's decision to follow what she and her coaches believe is the best competitive strategy for her. Taking her comments at face value (which is all we can really do) it sounds like she's simply employing a strategy that she feels has worked well for her in the past. I know I make that sort of decision (keep doing what has worked) all the time in my career.

This is PURE speculation. But here are some thoughts I would have if I were in Michelle's shoes (one can dream, right????) :)

* There is only one prize Michelle doesn't have yet - an Oly Gold. So while most of the other skaters are looking to "peak" by 2005 World's, I have to think Michelle is looking down the road toward the best strategy for HER to "peak" in Torino.

* She just got done outdoing her two biggest rivals from last year's world's. (even though it was the season opening cheesefest) There might be some benefit to just leaving that impression "sit out there."

* I have no idea what the situation is or is not with her back, but I can certainly understand physical preservation as a part of a strategy.

* Michelle is the only skater on the scene today that IMHO, has nothing to prove during this season. She's proven she can win many national titles. She's proven she can win many world titles. The ONLY thing she has yet to prove competitively is that she can turn out the right performance on the right day at the Olympics. The other ladies IMHO do not enjoy that competitive position.

With each competition at this stage, Michelle takes a risk of getting beat. That PROVES she's beatable. By not competing as much and not taking as many risks of getting beat, things are left as a mystery. (yeah, but could winner _________ have won if MICHELLE had been there.....)

So, I suspect there is a lot behind this decision in terms of strategy. These are just my speculations. As with any decision in life, there are risks. Based on Michelle's long history of success, I somehow trust her judgement about what's best for her competitively.

My 2 cents..

DG

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
JonnyCoop said:
By the way, does anyone know if Nationals is going to be under CoP? The USFSA certainly hasn't shown a lot of enthusiasm for the system and it's been my understanding that countries can use pretty much any system they want to for their own Nationals.
According to USFSA website, CoP will be introduced at Nationals in 2006. They will, however, update the rules (such as revised program length) for this season.

nysk8r

Rinkside
What about her SP?

Does this mean we won't get to see her new SP until Nats? Or is she keeping her old SP? I imagine it would be a bit difficult introducing a new program at Nats.

apache88

On the Ice
Omigod, Michelle has committed a heinous sin. All the other boards have been so busy discussing this issue. Some attack her for cheating, insulting the sport...blah blah blah. I'm sorry for voicing this opinion of mine, I just feel it's downright hilarious and silly, sorry just MHO.

Anyway, Joesitz made a good point about Michelle having to explain to her fans for not competing in the GP series because some, probably many, have bought the tickets solely because of her. However, I disagree with Joe. This is a sport not a performance, concert or exhibition. If performers cancel their concerts, they'd better have something legitimate to explain to the ticket buyers. In competitions however, it's the athletes' prerogative to pace themselves and decide what competitions to participate. They need not explain to their fans why they choose not to compete in certain events. In fact I think Michelle's explanation that she has to cut down her schedule because she has found it works better for her at this ancient age, is sufficient. So be it. So what if Michelle is pacing herself for the Olympics in 2006. This is a sport. I almost dropped off my chair laughing when I read from other boards that criticized her for cheating because she is taking a shortcut to realize her dream in Olys 2006. I'm sorry but have these arm chair critics ever participated in real competitions? I have (tennis at club level), from my experience and my peers', we strongly believe competing too little is detrimental to an athlete. This is agreed by sport experts. When an athlete competes, he has to have sufficient "match play" to "feel" the competition, his/her competitors' capabilities and the competition atmosphere. What Michelle has been doing these past couple of years is a no-no for any athlete because it's very very risky.

Lastly, I'm sorely disappointed at her decision because I just love watching her skate and win more medals. Yes I'm a very greedy fan. But it's her decision and she knows better what works for her. I take that. :) If her decision proves to be wrong later, so be it. No decision is guaranteed a good decision.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Since we are all throwing out opinions then I find it my duty as a GS member to express one. :laugh: :laugh: I think Joe makes an extremely good point and I agree with his assessment. It isn't based so much whether Michelle will/will not do the GP, I am not a fan but I do respect her skating and like to watch her skate. I think what I am hearing Joe say is that just out of plain courtesy and in a timely manner she could have bowed out. I feel sorry for the person who will replace her and who got a couple weeks notice.

Dee

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
Talk about me being vexed? What in hell, is the problem with her? If it is the back pain. OK, say it. Just don't leave the competitions she has signed up for without any valid explanation.

I have said for years that she is mysterious, but this is too much. Too much at stake with the upcoming season, one leading to the CoP trials at GPs and the other to the PreOly Worlds.

Is she planning to quite skating this season?

Joe

I understand wanting a straight forward explanation. If you miss work, your boss/clients/patients don't want to hear "I feel my performance over the blah, blah...." They want and deserve to know, why they are being disappointed and inconvenienced. It's just a normal expectation.

This isn't Little League or "amateur" competition. This isn't something the skater's do out of the goodness of their hearts. It is indeed a business enterprise, although much more profitable to the people who wind up on the podium.

People pay good money for tickets, travel arrangements, hotels, and babysitters. Some use vacation time or take other time from work in order to attend. They do that, in large part, in order to see the people who have been promoted as being part of the competition. A last minute withdrawal by such a well known skater is a bitter disappointment. (I am disappointed and I was just wanting to watch it on tape for free.) A simple, "I am having back pain that prevents me from competing. I apologize to everyone who will be disappointed by my withdrawing. I do appreciate all of the trouble people go to in order to attend these events and give all the skaters and skating their support. I am sure it will be a great competition" isn't asking for blood. Why is that too much to expect? It's just simple courtesy.

This "absence as a career move" stuff, just makes people think- "Why didn't you say that before?"

Last edited:

Lucy25

Final Flight
Dee4707 said:
I think what I am hearing Joe say is that just out of plain courtesy and in a timely manner she could have bowed out. I feel sorry for the person who will replace her and who got a couple weeks notice.
Dee

Without giving any more opinion on the matter, don't you think there has been a back up practicing if the call should come? The USFSA article says that Michelle said she would give her final decision in the fall, so it seems like the next person in line would have been told to be prepared.

I don't know, a day of thinking about this just has me so confused. I really think there is more to the story then what is being told. It just seems so weird that she would back out like this, especially with not ever having skated under COP. Something's not right. Or maybe I simply want to believe this.

What bothers me the most is that she has once again set herself up for harsh criticism, and I hate it. I hate reading the things I am reading about her here and on other boards.

Yukina Ota is 18 and the following skaters are all over 20: Sebestyn; Arakawa; Liashenko; Suguri; Cohen; Volchkova, Kwan; Drei; Slutskaya; Sokolova. The recent Olympics have all been won by a teenager. Ota will still be a teenager, and the above mentioned will all be over 21 by the Olympics.

For you age conscious fans, should they all retire soon?

As for Kwan, what other Boards are saying about her are typical blasts at her. She has continued to skate beautifully and win medals despite the "I don't care who wins as long as it isn't Kwan" people.

However, I repeat, if she gives reason for the withdrawal and assurances that she will skate Worlds, then it doesn't matter what the other Boards say.

Joe

skatingfan5

On the Ice
SusanBeth said:
I understand wanting a straight forward explanation. If you miss work, your boss/clients/patients don't want to hear "I feel my performance over the blah, blah...." They want and deserve to know, why they are being disappointed and inconvenienced. It's just a normal expectation.

This isn't Little League or "amateur" competition. This isn't something the skater's do out of the goodness of their hearts. It is indeed a business enterprise, although much more profitable to the people who wind up on the podium.

People pay good money for tickets, travel arrangements, hotels, and babysitters. Some use vacation time or take other time from work in order to attend. They do that, in large part, in order to see the people who have been promoted as being part of the competition. A last minute withdrawal by such a well known skater is a bitter disappointment. (I am disappointed and I was just wanting to watch it on tape for free.) A simple, "I am having back pain that prevents me from competing. I apologize to everyone who will be disappointed by my withdrawing. I do appreciate all of the trouble people go to in order to attend these events and give all the skaters and skating their support. I am sure it will be a great competition" isn't asking for blood. Why is that too much to expect? It's just simple courtesy.

This "absence as a career move" stuff, just makes people think- "Why didn't you say that before?"
Maybe the simple "I am having back pain ... blah, blah, blah" is not the whole story either. How much detail do you want? My own feeling is that the back problems were the "final straw that broke the Kwan's back" but that there may also be other things that contributed and perhaps her back wasn't even the most important factor -- just the one that pushed the final decision. Who knows how much her stumble in the footwork may have aggravated her existing back problem.

As for people who bought tickets only because they wanted to see Michelle and now think that their plans have been rendered worthless, I guess I don't completely understand that. As much of a fan of Michelle as I am, I still would love to see live skating in competition. In fact, despite a severe lack of funds and time, after I looked at the Skate America rosters and schedule last night I was trying to figure out if it would still be possible for me to be there. I realize others don't feel the same, but there are at least 5 or 6 skaters in each of the disciplines who I would want to see and who would make it worthwhile for me. Anyway, buying a ticket based on a single skater's presence is always a very big risk. If I thought I would feel it was a "bust" if that skater wasn't there, I wouldn't risk it unless I could afford to throw the $$'s away.

BittyBug

On the Ice
SusanBeth said:
People pay good money for tickets, travel arrangements, hotels, and babysitters. Some use vacation time or take other time from work in order to attend. They do that, in large part, in order to see the people who have been promoted as being part of the competition. A last minute withdrawal by such a well known skater is a bitter disappointment.
Then you can be bitter at US Figure Skating for having advertised her participation in the event without actually having had her commitment to participate. I'm not trying to dismiss your sense of disappointment (I, too, bought tickets to Skate America hoping that one of my faves would be there, which will not be the case), but if she didn't officially accept, US Figure Skating shouldn't have been including her in its ads.

Last edited:

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I thought that she said yes when asked last week. That definitely sounds like more than she was maybe, possibly, thinking about making a commitment to attend.

Also, being bitterly disappointed is not at all the same thing as being bitter.

Last edited:

SusanBeth

Final Flight
skatingfan5 said:
Maybe the simple "I am having back pain ... blah, blah, blah" is not the whole story either. How much detail do you want? My own feeling is that the back problems were the "final straw that broke the Kwan's back" but that there may also be other things that contributed and perhaps her back wasn't even the most important factor -- just the one that pushed the final decision. Who knows how much her stumble in the footwork may have aggravated her existing back problem.

As for people who bought tickets only because they wanted to see Michelle and now think that their plans have been rendered worthless, I guess I don't completely understand that. As much of a fan of Michelle as I am, I still would love to see live skating in competition. In fact, despite a severe lack of funds and time, after I looked at the Skate America rosters and schedule last night I was trying to figure out if it would still be possible for me to be there. I realize others don't feel the same, but there are at least 5 or 6 skaters in each of the disciplines who I would want to see and who would make it worthwhile for me. Anyway, buying a ticket based on a single skater's presence is always a very big risk. If I thought I would feel it was a "bust" if that skater wasn't there, I wouldn't risk it unless I could afford to throw the $$'s away.

No one is asking for blood here, just a reasonable, considerate explanation. If it's her back, I'm sorry and wish her well and better. It's just that the career explanation at the last minute is pretty lame and pitiful. It may seem silly for people to feel disappointed in HER not being there, but that's the price of greatness.