Michelle's and Irina's friendship cited! | Golden Skate

Michelle's and Irina's friendship cited!

rpiche

Rinkside
Even if they didn't like each other, do you really think they would tell us that?

I am not doubting Michelle or Irina, but it is hard to be friends with the people you have a rival with. Respect, definitely, but friendships? Let's wait for them to turn pro and we will know.
;-0

soogar

Record Breaker
I read that MK and Slutskaya were friends off the ice. When MK tours with Collins, she always hangs out and eats with Irina (this is per MK in an interview). I can see them being friends. Irina seems like a nice fun girl and they are about the same age and have been in the sport for almost as many years.

lovespirals

Rinkside
soogar said:
I read that MK and Slutskaya were friends off the ice. When MK tours with Collins, she always hangs out and eats with Irina (this is per MK in an interview). I can see them being friends. Irina seems like a nice fun girl and they are about the same age and have been in the sport for almost as many years.

I can see that too also....

dmr65

On the Ice
I believe these ladies are freinds.. Look at B&S and S&P.. Any post professional negatives were brought on by fans who couldn't get a life and media trying to make it hype to get us to watch. David made a comment once, he has been knowing and competing against Anton since their Jr. yrs. And to my surprised, I found they at least have been competing against each other since jrs.. They have said on air, they have always been friendly and even more so now that they can spend time together.. At times you see that fact in SOI footages.. Jamie, herself, reporting going out with B&S along wtih David to eat or do other adventures. Jamie has even posted on her official forum some of her adventures, and some of them are of her and Elena doing girlie things. (LOL) She has also shared that they asked Anton and Lena to stay on the bus they ride on during the SOI tour, because they Anton & Lena are a joy.

The best moment between MK and Slut was after their Oly skate.. I was told, they were back stage walking around and when they seen each other, they both just embraced.. Talk about a tear jerking moment.. I briefly seen them walking to each other, but I missed the rest for some odd reason.

Yes.. I do believe you can be competitors and friends...

It's mostly the media and fans who enjoy negativity who create the rivalry in their own internet or skating worlds.

Denise..

soogar

Record Breaker
I think that if they weren't friends, MK wouldn't even bother to say that they were or even mention Irina. I remember an interview that Sasha did and she was aksed if she was friends with MK and Sarah off the ice and she said she was closer to Sarah b/c of their age but they were not friends. Mk doesn't really mention Sasha in her interviews or anything so we can deduce that they probably aren't friends (probably civil though).

Jill

On the Ice
I see this in the legal world a lot. Two lawyers will duke it out in court, then go and have lunch together. I'm not a lawyer, BTW, but I once worked for one.

icenut84

Final Flight
I think it's true that Michelle & Irina are friends. On the Eurosport coverage, there was a shot of the two of them backstage together, talking, laughing, joking and being very animated. It was sweet, and looked not at all forced. :)

Excidra2001

On the Ice
I vividly remember after the ladies received their medals at the Olympics, MK and IS were laughing and talking as photographers were taking their pics, while Sarah looked confused.
I also remember 2001 worlds when both ladies skated a fantastic free skate but MK won and Irina was crying back-stage but she came out and gave Michelle a hug and congratulated her.

Two classy ladies, i'm sure their friendly rivalry will go down in skating history.

dizzydi

On the Ice
Michelle's and Irina's Friendship

Friends or Friendly?

I say there is a difference. I think Michelle and Irina are friendly. Friendship entails a much closer relationship than I believe they have with each other.

If Michelle and Irina had a true friendship, Michelle would have known that Irina was skating for sure at the Worlds? I think perhaps fans are making more of this so called friendship. They eat lunch together on tour, they are happy to see each other---they are friendly.

That's my opinion.

Dizzy

IDLERACER

Medalist
Sorry sk8ing_lady2001. I can't comment, because that link doesn't seem to be working on my computer.

heyang

Record Breaker
I'd classify MK's and Irina's relationship as a professional friendship.

It's like having friends at work - you live in the same fish bowl, respect each other, have things in common and become friends. If either leaves the work environment for another, the friendship usually doesn't survive since you've lost your most common denominator. I find the relationship lasts longer the more activities are shared outside the work place.

So, I think MK & IS enjoy each other's company in the shared fishbowl and then go home to their own lives. They'll always have these days of sharing, but it may or may not survive separate lives once they both retire.

soogar said:
I can't recall if I read this in IFS or BOI or saw it in an interview on TV in late '02 or early '03, but I am certain about the content. At the time of the interview, which was either with Michelle or Irina, it was reported that in all the years Michelle and Irina had been touring together with COI they have gone out together, just the two of them, exactly one time. It was for lunch.

Don't get me wrong. I have no doubt that Irina and Michelle have just what Heyang said, a professional friendship, and that when Irina got sick that Michelle genuinely felt concerned for her and was also genuinely happy and supportive of Irina when she was well enough to compete at Worlds. So the idea that Michelle "always hangs out and eats with Irina" just isn't true. I'm sure Michelle and Irina are friendly with each other, but in no way do I think they are friends the way Michelle is with Brian Boitano and Dorothy Hamill, or Sasha Cohen is with Johnny Weir. I think fans just get carried away, which is understandable.:)

In something I definitely recall seeing on TV in a fluff piece during one of the events in '02 after the Olympics and Worlds, it showed footage of the top ladies on tour with COI during some down time. They were someplace warm and at a beach or a park. The group they showed included Michelle, Irina, Sarah, and Sasha. Each one spread out her towel and things in the general vicinity of each other, but not close enough to talk and also mixed in with other skaters. After they got settled, each one immediately got out her cell phone and spent the entire time talking to friends or family at home.

So Michelle and Irina: Friendly, as in having warm, supportive, and respectful feelings toward each other, definitely. Friends, as in sharing intimate ideas and feelings, hanging out together on tour all the time, definitely not. But isn't it enough that MK and IS are friendly without having a friendship?

Just as Heyang said, they're friends the way we have office friends. It's just that their *office* is the community of elite figure skaters. I think their relationship is great just the way it is.
Rgirl

Last edited:
IDLERACER said:
Click HERE to see Sasha getting a big kiss from Michelle.
Damn, Idle. I was all jazzed to see something HOT! :laugh: :eek: :p

Very nice though. Definitely a nice Awwwwww pic. ;)
Rgirl

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
In a BOI issue that came out last fall that had Irina on the cover, Irina mentioned that her and MK went and ate sushi together a lot, and she mentioned a night club both went to that was in an abandoned church.

mpal2

Final Flight
Rgirl said:
In something I definitely recall seeing on TV in a fluff piece during one of the events in '02 after the Olympics and Worlds, it showed footage of the top ladies on tour with COI during some down time. They were someplace warm and at a beach or a park. The group they showed included Michelle, Irina, Sarah, and Sasha. Each one spread out her towel and things in the general vicinity of each other, but not close enough to talk and also mixed in with other skaters. After they got settled, each one immediately got out her cell phone and spent the entire time talking to friends or family at home.

Rgirl,

They also stated around that time (during the fluff piece or in other magazines/articles) that it was the first week of the tour and it was an adjustment because they had just gone from competing for a prize that meant a lot then back to coworkers. I don't remember the exact wording, but it seems to take a while to warm up on the tour after a big competitive year. I vaguely remember an MK interview where she said it takes a while to change your mind set from competitor to show environment.

Vash01

Medalist
I believe it is possible to be friends with your competitor, after the competition is over. It does not mean every competitor becomes a friend of course. However, MK and IS have been touring together since 1996 (approx.), and it is very likely that they get along.

I don't believe that B&S and S&P are friends, however. S&P (Jamie in particular) has made many inflammatory comments in interviews re: SLC. I can't imagine B&S feeling that she is a friend. One does not say those things in public about 'friends'. It is possible that Anton and David were/are friends, based on common interests. I cannot imagine the two 'pairs' being friends. They tour together, which means they eat together, etc. but it takes a lot more to be friends. I believe Michelle and Irina can have it. If they say so, I believe them, unless I see/hear something to make me doubt the sincerity of those statements.

Vash