Michelle's and Irina's friendship cited! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Michelle's and Irina's friendship cited!

IDLERACER

Medalist
[COLOR=008000]You call that hot? It's basically a re-creation of a famous 19th century Toulouse-Lautrec painting which you can view by clicking on THIS.[/COLOR]

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
This might be slightly off topic, but I think it is possible to be friends with a competitor. Last year at Euros, Sokolova was beaming and applauding Slutskaya's win, and in Dortmund they were sitting about 10 rows behind us after qualis, munching on ice cream together. Yeah, they're from the same country, but it's not a given that co-countrymen will be friends.

Language may have something to do with it: Murvanidze hangs with Plushenko and Klimkin, and Staviyski and Kostomarov are friends. We language-disabled North Americans (outside of Quebec, of course :) ) force everyone else to speak English, which seems to be the common language among coaches and skaters, regardless of where events are held.

I think as there are more training programs like Mishin's in Spain and the number of people being consulted in Tarasova's camp that there will be more cross-national friendship among the skaters.

This year the ISU instituted a new pre-finals ritual, where the skaters are introduced before their final warm-up. The only skaters I remember standing respectfully and applauding their fellow competitors, instead of skating around during the intros, were Petrova and Tikhonov, and I think their example prodded the rest of their group to do the same.

IDLERACER

Medalist
I've always liked those publicity photos from the 2002 C.O.I. tour. There's another one from that session with Sarah Hughes in the picture also, and she has to lean over to bring herself down to the height of the other two.

dizzydi

On the Ice
COI Pic

That COI group picture is a simply stunningly gorgeous shot of Sasha Cohen.

Dizzy

VIETgrlTerifa said:
In a BOI issue that came out last fall that had Irina on the cover, Irina mentioned that her and MK went and ate sushi together a lot, and she mentioned a night club both went to that was in an abandoned church.
VGT,
I stand updated and corrected, and am happy to hear it.:)
Rgirl

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Michelle and Irina

Irina mentioned that her and MK went and ate sushi together a lot, and she mentioned a night club both went to that was in an abandoned church.

They went to a nightclub together that was in an abandoned church?! I would like to hear the details of that story....

Yeah, I tend to think that Irina and Michelle would hang out together during the long tours. They're both around the same age and won their first world medal in the same year: 1996. I don't think Irina would talk about spending time with Michelle if she didn't care for her, which is how Irina was with Maria Butyrskaya.

icenut84

Final Flight
Re: Michelle and Irina

Ogre Mage said:
I don't think Irina would talk about spending time with Michelle if she didn't care for her, which is how Irina was with Maria Butyrskaya.

I thought Irina and Maria didn't really get on. :confused:

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Re: Re: Michelle and Irina

icenut84 said:
I thought Irina and Maria didn't really get on. :confused:
They didn't. What I meant was that Irina didn't talk about getting along well with Maria because she did not like her.

Lotta

On the Ice
I vividly remember after the ladies received their medals at the Olympics, MK and IS were laughing and talking as photographers were taking their pics, while Sarah looked confused.

Pictures like THIS, THIS , and THIS