Miki Ando's quad salchow attempts video | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Miki Ando's quad salchow attempts video

herro

On the Ice
Sorry if I'm a bit behind (SO behind this season and just caught up with this season's competitions), but what is Miki's team's stance on the quad now? Is she still practicing them?

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I've always maintained that Surya Bonaly was definately robbed in 1994... and remember being lectured by my mom for cheering when she refused the silve medal. That was kinda awesome. But I've never thought it was her race that did her in - more her lack of traditional skating skills and her attitude. After all, Debbie Thomas brought a new group of fans to skating simply by being the first black skating world champion. For example, she inspired me to put my skates back on and also gained a lot of interest from my friends who up to that point thought that skating wasn't "for them." But like Nadine says - c'est la vie.

And I so hope that Miki has stopped stressing over the quad. Her skating tends to suffer when she's working that jump so I don't see the point. I also feel the same way about Mao and her 3 axle. Both are spectacular jumps to have but there's a lesson to be learned from the men's division - if you work on the other things, you can offset the money jump. Skating should be about more than one element.

Nadine

Record Breaker
But Mao is way more consistent & successful on her 3axel than Miki Ando has ever been with her underroted quad attempts. Therefore, I honestly don't blame Mao for keeping it in her repertoire and consistently going for it again & again & again. After all that's how one becomes consistent on any jump. :) And to be fair, Mao also underrotates her 3axel at times, but her percentage rate has grown tremendously with that jump in terms of not only full rotation but also ratified 3axels.

I wrote extensively about Mao's 3axel months ago (will have to go & find that thread where I have percentages, et al). In fact this year Mao is on target to break Midori Ito's record of 18 ratified 3axels in competition. :)

GOOOOOOOOOO MAO & MIKI!!!!!!!!!! :party:

Nadine

Record Breaker
lol, I finally found it, scroll down to post #110 by FlattFan in the following link: :)

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...-Sochi-in-2014&p=482895&viewfull=1#post482895

Btw, I'll have to do some investigating, but I'm sure Mao hasn't had any ratified this season thus far, not even the ones she did at Nationals? So thus far her record holds at 15 ratified triple axels per FlattFan's post in the aforementioned link. But I'm wondering about her 3axels before 2008? Were any of them ratified? Like the ones she did at the 2005 GPF? Or during the 2005/2006 season and the 2006/2007 season? There must have been? After all she was given credit for the first one she landed in Juniors in 2002, but then again that was jrs., not seniors, therefore I'm not sure it counts. Especially seeing as how Midori's were all done as a senior (same as Tonya, Ludmila, Yukari, and Kimmie). Either way, what an accomplishment, all done with hard work, dedication, and perseverance.

Still, I'm with Sensei Sato, whom has stated (& alluded to) in his latest interview that Mao's progress thus far in terms of technique is more of a veneer/window dressing, progress being incremental if at all, the real work will begin to show in one or two years per Mr. Sato's latest interview. Right now Mao has resorted to old technique in order to complete the jumps. But as I've stated before it's her old technique that made me her fan in the first place. A minor flutz and slightly underroted 3axel or 3/3 combo. is all right by me, as her other jumps are fully rotated and get the job done. But WOW I can just imagine Mao with a perfect lutz and fully rotated 3/3 combos. to go along with her 3axel...I'm off to dream! :)

brightphoton

Medalist
After all, Debbie Thomas brought a new group of fans to skating simply by being the first black skating world champion.

Debbie Thomas is black?! :confused::confused: You mean the American skater that people always mention is also an orthopedic surgeon? I always thought she just spent too much time in tanning beds ...