Missing The Veterans | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Missing The Veterans

^ Mao Asada is one of the all-time greats. Her unique charm and style will be missed -- just as we miss Slutskaya, Bonaly, Baiul, Yamaguchi, Kostner, Arakawa, Butyrskaya, Kwan, Hughes, Lipinski, and Bobek. That's what this thread is all about.

Last edited by a moderator:

gotoschool

Medalist
^ Mao Asada is one of the all-time greats. Her unique charm and style will be missed -- just as we miss Slutskaya, Bonaly, Baiul, Yamagucki, Kostner, Arakawa, Butyrskaya, Kwan, Hughes, Lipinski, and Bobek. That's what this thread is all about.

Thank you for your comment on behalf of the greats in the recent and more distant past, and for those who still have not decided on retirement.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Missing Beautiful-Who Is Beautiful Now?

I miss the elegance maturity of Caro, Akiko, Mao, Yuna. I see the elegance in three Americans and a Japanese girl or two. Disappointed at the direction. . Sigh...many have lost interest it appears. Best program performance is Cesario's Carmen the best I've seen.

When will she get the credit? . What program has you hooked already?

Big Deal

Final Flight
I am agree with you. It seems a vacuum to come in this discipline with many talented but very inconsistent jumpers, hopefully not too long time before the real stars will develop.

I have a feeling the major issues are the coaches, who are killing their pupils with difficult jumps too early.
I watched Yuna's and Mao's videos at her age of 14, 15.... Unfortunately I can't see anybody in that level out of the "wonderkid". It seems like my favourite Lipnitskaya didn't improve which is a drama in her age. The jumps are the same small and the hectic frentic choreo doesn't let the artistic side come out. I think her coach is a little bit senseless (judging from the way she behaved in the K&C in China.....). She would need to get a coach with the same temperament and talent than herself.

We don't need to be to harsh on the other hand. Don't forget that we had just experience 2-3 of the all-time greatest lady skaters in the past few years( Yuna,Mao and when finally "arrived",Carolina)....

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
I agree with all of the above, Mao and Yuna at 15 already had a grace and skating skills at the highest level... at 16 they were just phenomenal in all areas, the most well-rounded skaters in this generation.

There's lots of potential, but needs a lot more polish.

What program has you hooked already?

So Youn's R&J LP, Wakaba Higuchi's Piano Concerto in F LP (13-year old skates like a 20-year-old Michelle, phenomenal! :love:).

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
Those " Russian girls" brought more attention and fans to figure skating worldwide than before. And they brought freshness and excitement into the boredom of the ladies figure skating. No need to call all their programs ugly and to generalize about their programs and their skating - they are all so different and diverse in style and skills (can't say the same about Japanese or American ladies, although I must admit I don't follow Japanese skaters closely).
Perhaps, elegance is not the only thing that attracts people in this sport?

cooper

Medalist
Those " Russian girls" brought more attention and fans to figure skating worldwide than before. And they brought freshness and excitement into the boredom of the ladies figure skating. No need to call all their programs ugly and to generalize about their programs and their skating - they are all so different and diverse in style and skills (can't say the same about Japanese or American ladies, although I must admit I don't follow Japanese skaters closely).
Perhaps, elegance is not the only thing that attracts people in this sport?

they are?? :laugh: i thought figure skating is dead when kwan retired.. no one seems to care anymore..

begin

Medalist
The last generation of skaters was quite exceptional. Still, there is a lot of talent right now (and some really great skaters in the junior ranks).

Sigh. Another thread made particularly to bash on the Russian ladies.

Liza is elegant. And mature. A real woman on the ice, and not frantic, but deliberate and sassy. I'd rather watch her a thousand times over than Yuna's bland, disinterested expression...

Ah yes, let us omit the many years in which Yuna was celebrated for her expressiveness.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Beauty is diverse and in the eyes of the beholder. There is no need to write off a whole new generation of exciting talented athletes who are just emerging at Senior level and already outstanding. They are phenomenal in their own ways and will develop in their own ways, just as Yuna, Mao, and Carolina "arrived" in different ways.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
^ yes!
Also, Brezina's SP Game of Thrones is WONDERFUL!
Satoko's LP
Javi's SP
Misha Ge's LP
Hanyu's SP and I hope to see his LP skated well so I can really like it.
Kozuka's LP -I don't care if he can't jump these days, the program it self is ...:love:
Tuktumeshiva's LP -Unique and true to herself.

I remember years ago, threads in competitions getting 100+ pages, It was horrible because I had not time for read too much. And we should consider internet is more used now, so I guess is even worse than before.

Although … one beautiful guy is holding his own. The Yuzuru Hanyu thread in fan fests runs to 778 pages with 11,000 posts and 1.7 million views. :)

JayW

Final Flight
Anna Pogorilaya has the star quality, beautiful long limbs, but she is not there yet.
American girls are wonderful.
Zijun Li is so pretty, just not consistent enough.

cooper

Medalist
Missing Beautiful-Who Is Beautiful Now?

and to answer the question.. no one.. (not yet i guess..) they all looked juniorish to me..

i'll rather see some effortless skating rather than labored..

Last edited:

MIM

Medalist
I am sure there has been a void since the veterans/masters/champions left. But, I love watching a new star yet polished, to grow into a better skater. Like Elizaveta! I was not necessarily interested in her skating while she was competing with the above veterans. It was just too fun to see the battles among those veterans. Elizaveta, however, earned my attention steadily and deservedly. I admit it was timely perfect with others retired/to be retired though. She is on her way to be great!

ps. when I get frustrated and disappointed with this new field of talents, I secretly go watch youtube playlist of veterans. Then, I come back to GS searching for new practice reports of the upcoming events! I just can't help but repeating this pattern!!:eek::

Last edited: