Mona Adolfsen on being an ISU Judge and the scoring system | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Mona Adolfsen on being an ISU Judge and the scoring system

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Exactly. Like as soon as a singles or doubled quad/triple, or a fall, or a jump/spin/footwork with lower than -4 GOE, or two falls or a downgrade (on any triple or quad or 2A) is recognized the computer should literally prevent the judges from going any higher than the proscribed PCS. It would be funny to see a judge try to input a 9.75/10.00 and be denied and prompted to judge more fairly. :biggrin:

It would also help the judges on a learning scale. I can't imagine being a judge and trying to remember every single detail. They are human.

lzxnl

Final Flight
Would it be viable to have a separate panel that watches any jumps that occur in slow motion DURING the performance to assess takeoffs and landings? Then make the ensuing video available for anyone to see?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
In the run-up to the biggest figure skating event of the season, the 2019 World Championships, the International Skating Union (ISU) judge and technical controller Mona Adolfsen (President of the Norwegian Skating Association) tells about her motivation to work as an ISU judge as well as the peculiarities of the new ISU judging system.

More...

What's your take?

The phrase "organic fertilizer" springs to mind.

But I applaud Mona Adolfsen for actually speaking up about obvious judging uhm "discrepancies."

gkelly

Record Breaker
Would it be viable to have a separate panel that watches any jumps that occur in slow motion DURING the performance to assess takeoffs and landings? Then make the ensuing video available for anyone to see?

No jumps occur in slow motion during a performance. ;)

Although "delayed rotation" used to be a GOE bullet point.

Miller

Final Flight

It would probably be a cost thing, but I do wonder how much extra time it would take for the tech panel to actually review jumps in slow motion. You know you're already going to review the jump, you presumably set the video at the point just before the jump occurs, so do it in slow motion and it takes a bit longer, but presumably you'll get your answer first time (if you have to replay it again then it should be so close that you should really just be giving the benefit to the skater there and then), but for normal speed you may end up looking at it once or twice more anyway so you end up taking the same time or even more. The big question though is whether they should have ultra slow motion or even freeze frame. That should give you the definitive answer, but will you end up making a mockery of the sport with all the URs - my answer would be no - looking at the times you get controversial calls and looking at them on Youtube at 0.25 speed and pause, and even or especially at the already slow motion replays, well I think the technical panel gets it right a surprising amount of the time, everything considered. They certainly get it wrong from time to time, but I don't think you'd end up getting a massive rash of extra reviews, time taken for them etc. etc..

champs

Final Flight
Overall I echo cohen-esque's post above.

“As an example, Norway and Sweden participated in the 2018 European Championships Ladies Single Skating (Anne Line Gjersem of Norway and Anita Östlund of Sweden),” Adolfsen noted. “Norway was lucky to be drawn for sending a judge for the 2019 European Championships, but Sweden did not get such an opportunity.

I may be the only person who got mildly bothered by this statement from an ISU judge/head of the fed of a certain country. But considering she's not a native English speaker and there may be bad choices of words from her (or in translation in the case that she spoke in Norwegian and then was then translated into English.)

lzxnl

Final Flight
It would probably be a cost thing, but I do wonder how much extra time it would take for the tech panel to actually review jumps in slow motion. You know you're already going to review the jump, you presumably set the video at the point just before the jump occurs, so do it in slow motion and it takes a bit longer, but presumably you'll get your answer first time (if you have to replay it again then it should be so close that you should really just be giving the benefit to the skater there and then), but for normal speed you may end up looking at it once or twice more anyway so you end up taking the same time or even more. The big question though is whether they should have ultra slow motion or even freeze frame. That should give you the definitive answer, but will you end up making a mockery of the sport with all the URs - my answer would be no - looking at the times you get controversial calls and looking at them on Youtube at 0.25 speed and pause, and even or especially at the already slow motion replays, well I think the technical panel gets it right a surprising amount of the time, everything considered. They certainly get it wrong from time to time, but I don't think you'd end up getting a massive rash of extra reviews, time taken for them etc. etc..

I don't think it would be a mockery. I think it would go to show everyone just how difficult the sport actually is if you raise your requirements. I don't think 0.25 speed is necessary, because currently, if you can't see something wrong with a jump at half speed, it certainly won't look bad at full speed. As previously mentioned, a lot of us can tell, at full speed, if a jump is jumping forwards, whereas this would be crystal clear at half speed to everyone. It would seem fair.