Most influential skater? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Most influential skater?

No, I don't think Tonya did influence other skaters; she did, however, publicize the sport. My suggestion was simply that popularizing the sport is not necessarily a good basis for determining which skaters were (or were not) "most influential"
So are you saying that Jackson Haines' introduction of music to figure skating which did popularize skating was not enough to be called influential?

The popularity of Harding was because of a criminal act. It did nothing for the sport of figure skating, and I don't think she is on any list for being influential.

Joe

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Kind of off topic, but does anyone know when picks appeared on skates? I cna't find any reference to when the blades stopped being just a strip of medal. To tie the question to the topic, wouldn't the person who came up with the toe-picks be considered extremly influential? Without them skating as we know it is impossible.

GoldMedalist

Match Penalty
I would love to know the answer to the toe-pick as well. I hold them very dear, perhaps too much in my footwork....

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
So are you saying that Jackson Haines' introduction of music to figure skating which did popularize skating was not enough to be called influential?

The popularity of Harding was because of a criminal act. It did nothing for the sport of figure skating, and I don't think she is on any list for being influential.

Joe

Sorry it took me so long, but -- I wasn't implying that the creator of a major innovation in the sport is not influential because the innovation makes the sport more popular. I am saying that popularizing the sport, in and of itself, does not qualify a skater (IMO) for the "most influential" title. For example, I don't know how the different jumps "popularized" the sport, but guys like Lutz and Salcow who invented them were definitely influential.

Salchow and Lutz were definitely influential in deepening the sport of figure skating. However, I doubt they brought in more popularity to the sport than Haines did with his music. I can't imagine the average fan saying WOW, he used a toe pick or he took off from a back inside edge. Popularity makes for influence, jmo. For skaters only, definitely Salchow and Lutz shoudl be on the list.

The topic is misleading in that it relies on one and only one skater to be influential.

Joe