Nathan Chen out of worlds | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen out of worlds

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
With both Nathan and Jason not attending Worlds, the US Men should secure two spots for next year easily - getting the third spot for next year will be interesting.

I hope Vincent has recovered from Covid better than I have. I still get out of breath easily.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
With both Nathan and Jason not attending Worlds, the US Men should secure two spots for next year easily - getting the third spot for next year will be interesting.

I hope Vincent has recovered from Covid better than I have. I still get out of breath easily.

Best wishes for your continued recovery my friend. :pray: and do I remember that your better half was also sick? I hope she is doing well.

and yes, the third spot battle will be interesting. ;)

mrrice

Record Breaker

Me too. He can be brilliant or implode. Hopefully, Ilia will skate as well as he did at Nationals. It was enough to beat Jason so, if skates well, he could be in the top 8 and if Vincent can place 4th, we're in good shape.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Best wishes for your continued recovery my friend. :pray: and do I remember that your better half was also sick? I hope she is doing well.

and yes, the third spot battle will be interesting. ;)
Thank you for the encouragement.

Yes, we're both recovering relatively well. It's just shortness of breath if we exert ourselves. I'm not a sit-in-the-house kind of guy, but even a short walk is a lot right now - I made it a half mile on flat ground the other day at a moderate pace. It's getting close to prime hiking weather right now (I love spring hikes before it gets too hot) and I'm afraid I might have to pass on it.

SaDa

On the Ice
Gotta be honest. It's irritating hearing people say they knew Nathan was going to withdraw or that he should have withdrawn sooner. The accusation that he just doesn't care now that he has his Olympic gold is ridiculous. The fact that he didn't withdraw sooner shows he was intending to go. And if he didn't want to, he wouldn't have committed to it in the first place. He had no obligation to. He also said that he'd been training for Worlds soon after he got back from the Olympics, and he was indeed spotted several times training his Mozart program. Pretty sure something had to have happened recently in his practices to make him change his mind. Not sure why some feel the need to be so disrespectful.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree that Nathan was absolutely intending to go.

I was one of those who thought he wouldn't go, because why? He's done it all :) But once he committed publicly, I had no doubt that he was going.

Selfishly, I hope he's in top shape by "my" SOI show. He has six weeks.:biggrin:

DancingCactus

Final Flight
Gotta be honest I don't care about the substitute-substitute US guys. I wish Jason could have gone, but he deserved his holiday. I hope Shoma and Yuma have great skates, let's see who comes out on top.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Very sad to hear that Chen is injured... So, it will be two new-comers and Zhou to get slots for the US team.

I thought Brown was supposed to be the first substitute? How come he is not prepared to go? On the other hand it will be more interesting for me to watch Zhou, Malinin and Pulkinen to compete.

macy

Record Breaker
sad we wont see Nathan, wishing him a speedy recovery. i have a feeling the olympics might have been his last time on competitive ice :( i wish him the best whatever he chooses to do.

i think after missing half his olympic experience Vincent will show up and kill it.

corinthia

Rinkside
I agree with the posts that say Jason declined Worlds some time ago (as in declined to be an alternate before Nathan withdrew). He still has made no official decision about continuing, but it was pretty clear from his travels and his activities that he wasn't even "substitute training" for Worlds.

I wonder if Jason might have declined way back at US Nats, if not the alternate slot at that time, then at least the 3rd spot on the World team itself.

I've been wondering all along why Ilia was chosen instead of Jason for Worlds. I haven't heard anything about selection creation for Worlds being different from Olys, so why wasn't Jason chosen for Worlds too?

I've been surprised that I haven't seen anybody else ask this, and assumed it's because given Ilia's stunning performance at his first Sr Nats, with Ilia not being on Olys team (and not eligible for 4cc) that most people were happy he would at least get Sr Worlds, so at least getting a significant Sr assignment this season. I'm fine with it too... but still wondered how/why? Because that's how I am. :)

So, I've been vaguely wondering since early January if maybe either Jason approached Committee or Committee approached Jason, about giving Ilia that 3rd spot for Worlds so Ilia could have that opportunity...

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Gotta be honest. It's irritating hearing people say they knew Nathan was going to withdraw or that he should have withdrawn sooner. The accusation that he just doesn't care now that he has his Olympic gold is ridiculous. The fact that he didn't withdraw sooner shows he was intending to go. And if he didn't want to, he wouldn't have committed to it in the first place. He had no obligation to. He also said that he'd been training for Worlds soon after he got back from the Olympics, and he was indeed spotted several times training his Mozart program. Pretty sure something had to have happened recently in his practices to make him change his mind. Not sure why some feel the need to be so disrespectful.

Only Nathan knows for sure and even then it may be clouded his intentions. It is "natural" to want to keep "dreams" alive such as going to something big but there is conflict. Even intent to go had many meanings - yes intended but was it realistic, was it just suprficial wishing, did he or whoever making the decision really think they wer going. Someone mentioned muscle memory but you need a lt of training - hence Jason with muscle memory not ready after a couple of weeks of vacay.

Nathan is a fine champion. He is a hard worker = though there are many who work hard. He has nothing to prove. Often skaters want to leave on top and will retire after OGM. It is easy to say I was ready or trained but for... He is a super fit and smart athlete but it is human for the mind to wander, to maybe stretch oneself out with all the after OGM opportunities - talk shows, award shows, reality tv stuff etc, sponsor stuff. i don't care what the real reason is. I personally think it was the smart decision whatever the truth is. He has earned his s pot in history. And its okay if Nathan chen isn't perfect ie he wants to go out on top or take a break after OGM or look after himself. Just as it is okay for people to think certain things. I mean I was thinking "nagging injury" but I bet if it were the olympics he would be competing. It's okay. Even Nathan is human - but with OGM :)

Amei

Record Breaker
I wonder if Jason might have declined way back at US Nats, if not the alternate slot at that time, then at least the 3rd spot on the World team itself.

I've been wondering all along why Ilia was chosen instead of Jason for Worlds. I haven't heard anything about selection creation for Worlds being different from Olys, so why wasn't Jason chosen for Worlds too?

I've been surprised that I haven't seen anybody else ask this, and assumed it's because given Ilia's stunning performance at his first Sr Nats, with Ilia not being on Olys team (and not eligible for 4cc) that most people were happy he would at least get Sr Worlds, so at least getting a significant Sr assignment this season. I'm fine with it too... but still wondered how/why? Because that's how I am. :)

So, I've been vaguely wondering since early January if maybe either Jason approached Committee or Committee approached Jason, about giving Ilia that 3rd spot for Worlds so Ilia could have that opportunity...

Ilia was named to the Worlds team after Nationals, the Fed would have looked incredibly stupid to not name their national silver medalist to any of the teams for the post-Nationals competitions. I doubt Jason has anything to do with it.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

I've been surprised that I haven't seen anybody else ask this, and assumed it's because given Ilia's stunning performance at his first Sr Nats, with Ilia not being on Olys team (and not eligible for 4cc) that most people were happy he would at least get Sr Worlds, so at least getting a significant Sr assignment this season. I'm fine with it too... but still wondered how/why? Because that's how I am. :) ...

USFS had separate selection procedures for 2022 Worlds and for 2022 Olympics.

Per the published USFS documents, the four priority groups and scoring benchmarks designated in 2022 Olympic selection procedures were not part of 2022 Worlds selection procedures.

(btw, USFS also had separate selection procedures for 2014 Worlds and 2014 Olympics, and the assignments for U.S. men were not identical for the two 2014 events either.)

... So, I've been vaguely wondering since early January if maybe either Jason approached Committee or Committee approached Jason, about giving Ilia that 3rd spot for Worlds so Ilia could have that opportunity...

My opinion is that I find these scenarios to be far-fetched.
According to the published USFS schedule, there basically was one continuous committee meeting to select the men's Olympic team and then the men's World and Four Continents teams. As a matter of integrity, my hope :pray: is that during the entirety of the meeting, members of the committee were not allowed to have any incoming or outgoing communication (for any reason) from/to skaters and their coaches. IMO, it would be a very slippery slope if any such communication were allowed.

(For another thing, USFS does not need one skater's permission/blessing to give another skater an assignment.)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

This is a huge redemption opportunity for Chen. Malinin also has a shot at a medal too if he skates all out (with Chen/Brown out, his PCS/GOE will likely be a bit higher). I know Zhou can be iffy but he's had a fairly solid season (the only one to win again Chen). And hard to say if Cha can replicate his Olympics.

I do think Zhou and Malinin should be able to obtain 3 spots given the absence of Russia/Chen/Hanyu/Brown. It's a bit of pressure on them, but not unachievable. It's also been a long time since the Olympics so who knows what shape everyone is in.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is a huge redemption opportunity for Chen. Malinin also has a shot at a medal too if he skates all out (with Chen/Brown out, his PCS/GOE will likely be a bit higher). I know Zhou can be iffy but he's had a fairly solid season (the only one to win again Chen). And hard to say if Cha can replicate his Olympics.

I do think Zhou and Malinin should be able to obtain 3 spots given the absence of Russia/Chen/Hanyu/Brown. It's a bit of pressure on them, but not unachievable. It's also been a long time since the Olympics so who knows what shape everyone is in.
Ilia seems a hungry skater. I don't see him squandering his opportunity. If things go well, a Top 6 placement is very achievable. He looked good at his qualifier a few weeks ago. A very good total score considering he watered down his SP to insure he made the minimum, and he took a fall in the Free if I'm remembering correctly. As for a medal - well, a lot has to go right. He's got the goods, but so do other more experienced competitors. Even with the absences, it's a good field.

I hope good things for Vincent. He deserves to catch a break. As for Camden - well, who knows.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Ilia seems a hungry skater. I don't see him squandering his opportunity. If things go well, a Top 6 placement is very achievable. He looked good at his qualifier a few weeks ago. A very good total score considering he watered down his SP to insure he made the minimum, and he took a fall in the Free if I'm remembering correctly. As for a medal - well, a lot has to go right. He's got the goods, but so do other more experienced competitors. Even with the absences, it's a good field.

I hope good things for Vincent. He deserves to catch a break. As for Camden - well, who knows.

His Nationals SP would have picked up a minimum of 95 points (he got 103.46) and his FS (199.02) would have picked up at least 180 points even with super harsh PCS/GOE (and a doubled loop at that). 275 points is definitely enough to put him in contention for a World medal (and that's me slashing a lot from his Nats... should be 285ish with all planned content landed cleanly and no-Chen/Brown boost to his scoring).

It's a tall ask but under these circumstances totally doable. He might be the first IJS men's skater to medal at senior Worlds while competing in Juniors earlier that season?