New Hersh Article- says Kwan probably won't be at December event | Page 13 | Golden Skate

New Hersh Article- says Kwan probably won't be at December event

Red Dog said:
But it's questionable whether Irina is going to stay healthy and/or at the top of her game throughout the next couple of months. I think she'll do very well in Torino. If she doesn't win, she'll definitely get silver.
You're not hoping that Irina becomes sick. Are you?

Mathman said:
You are responding to Havanamesa, right? Not to the ever-so-subtly-sardonic Mathman. ;)
Mathman, I am not posting this. It's all a mirage. Apparently a certain mod feels threads are not for responding to other people's opinions, or only responding to a certain number of opinions.

Dang, wish I knew that number.

I guess it was a different Mathman who posted about Irina being all Big Jumps and Cute smile.:p

Rgirl

Rgirl said:
Mathman, I am not posting this. It's all a mirage. Apparently a certain mod feels threads are not for responding to other people's opinions, or only responding to a certain number of opinions.

Dang, wish I knew that number.

I guess it was a different Mathman who posted about Irina being all Big Jumps and Cute smile.:p

Rgirl
Rgirl I did not say that Irina is all jumps and a cute smile. I was making fun of Havanamesa for saying that. ("Sardonic" = bitterly mocking. "Subtly sardonic" = doing this so cooly that no one can tell I'm doing it, LOL.)

On the contrary, I have (with admirable and uncharacteristic consistency, if I do say so myself :) ) opposed the (ridiculous, IMHO) view that Irina is being given inflated scores, that she does not deserve strong PCSs, that she has been pre-ordained as the Olympic champion, etc. To quote myself -- hrumph --

"Irina massacred the field (at cup of Russia)...She is getting these high marks because she is skating everyone else under the table."

(cf. also http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10925&page=2 posts 12 and 22.)

MM :cool:

Mathman said:
Rgirl I did not say that Irina is all jumps and a cute smile. I was making fun of Havanamesa for saying that. ("Sardonic" = bitterly mocking. "Subtly sardonic" = doing this so cooly that no one can tell I'm doing it, LOL.)

On the contrary, I have (with admirable and uncharacteristic consistency, if I do say so myself ) opposed the (ridiculous, IMHO) view that Irina is being given inflated scores, that she does not deserve strong PCSs, that she has been pre-ordained as the Olympic champion, etc. To quote myself -- hrumph --

"Irina massacred the field (at cup of Russia)...She is getting these high marks because she is skating everyone else under the table."

(cf. also http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...t=10925&page=2 posts 12 and 22.)
Rgirl said:
I guess it was a different Mathman who posted about Irina being all Big Jumps and Cute smile.
See? I told you it must have been a different Mathman who wrote the Big Jumps Cute Smile post.:laugh: :p :laugh:

Rgirl, who (a) has read all of MM's posts about Irina, which are all very positive and supportive of her skating; (b) who was mostly trying to tease a certain mod in Post #242 and using #217; and (c) to get some of my previously unexpressed opinions about Irina out to join the party.:) :party: :party2: :party:

Of course it's obvious that you like Irina. It's just that you can have only one true love, and we all know who that is. :love: But way to go for appreciating Irina's different talents and strenghts that are beautiful in their own way.

Rgirl

JanJam said:
One can be fast, energetic, and technically great and still skate beautifully (with actual interpretation and choreography) at the same time. Michelle and Sasha (if only Sasha could be more consistent) have proven that many, many times. When someone simply uses her power and energy for big jumps and is ugly in EVERY OTHER WAY, that's not balanced figure skating and should not be rewarded with ridiculously high PCS marks. But, of course, the judges don't see that, so all fans of powerful but ugly, ugly, ugly figure skating should be happy this season. (Emphasis added by Rgirl.) After all, we already have an annointed Olympic champion who, as has been aptly described, offers nothing except Big Jumps and a Cute Smile ("BJCS", I like that) just waiting to be crowned.
Sorry to bug you twice in one day, but I forgot to ask you, what specifically do you mean by "uses her power and energy for big jumps and is ugly in EVERY OTHER WAY " in terms of Irina's skating?

Also, if the judges see and reward those who "can be fast, energetic, and technically great and still skate beautifully (with actual interpretation and choreography) at the same time. Michelle and Sasha...have proven that many, many times," why would the judges do a complete 180 degree turn-around and reward "ugly, ugly, ugly" Irina?

Am truly interested to know your opinions on these.

Rgirl

Last edited:

gezando

Final Flight
Rgirl said:
Mao Asada the new whipping girl my butt!

Once again Rgirl, I was not posting you, I was not calling you, and you started another attack. BTW, please leave your butt or your anatomy out of this

Last edited:

havanamesa1

Rinkside
Rgirl said:
Sorry to bug you twice in one day, but I forgot to ask you, what specifically do you mean by "uses her power and energy for big jumps and is ugly in EVERY OTHER WAY " in terms of Irina's skating?

Also, if the judges see and reward those who "can be fast, energetic, and technically great and still skate beautifully (with actual interpretation and choreography) at the same time. Michelle and Sasha...have proven that many, many times," why would the judges do a complete 180 degree turn-around and reward "ugly, ugly, ugly" Irina?

Am truly interested to know your opinions on these.

Rgirl

I think JanJam's opinion is "pretty" clear (not as "ugly" as Irina's skating, ha ha ha) :rofl: and does not need to be repeated. :rofl:

kyla2

Final Flight
RGirl

I agree that Irina has a very unique style that is energetic, fast and just plain lively. She can make the case for herself in a SP like no on else. I have a ton of respect for Irina. She is one of the greats of all time, indisputably. I think she is a credit to the sport and her family. If she wins the OGM I will be happy for her. If Mao Asada did skate in the Olympics, I would expect Irina to beat her hands down. Mao needs time to become the whole package. I think it will be very difficult beating Irina because she is motivated, thin and she has a technically packed program. Shiz has the greatest chance to do it, but I doubt that will happen either. Sasha would have to have the skate of her life-meaning no mistakes and a triple-triple-double.

havanamesa1

Rinkside
Rgirl said:
BTW, I can't wait for Irina to do her "ugly, ugly, ugly" skating again and just hope that she doesn't work herself into a flare of her vasculitiis by the time of the Olympics.:)

Rgirl

Have you actually seen how she was performing when she was perfectly healthy a couple of seasons ago? And have you seen how non-humanly energetic she's become this and the past season? That's how a sick person on meds skates? You believe everything you read in the papers?

jeff goldblum

On the Ice
Since I didn't see any mention of it, you did all know that Michelle has confirmed participation in the Marshalls event, right?

Yes, there is a thread about it. Scroll down to "Michelle will be at Marshall's" by Kathy.

mzheng

Record Breaker
havanamesa1 said:
Have you actually seen how she was performing when she was perfectly healthy a couple of seasons ago? And have you seen how non-humanly energetic she's become this and the past season? That's how a sick person on meds skates? You believe everything you read in the papers?
Good questions.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
havanamesa1 said:

I'm confused by this statement... are you implying that we've all been sold a bag of whahooie in terms of the seriousness of Irinia's condition ~ a medical fluff piece as it were or something a bit more serious?

From where I sit, Irina has been kicking butt & taking names since 2000... She didn't suddenly morph into an uberskater after being a no-name, also ran for years... If anything, her actual skating style & trick base hasn't changed all that much, she's just able to turn her signature style into a motherlode of points based on the NJS. If anything, what is setting her apart from the other skaters is a new level of determination & confidence that she can win & win big... The doubts are gone for her.

However, the statement regarding a "sick person on meds" is either intriguing or simply sick & wrong based on your personal knowledge, information & whatnot...

Obviously, this has been discussed to death in the forums (the side effects of steriods, her condition, her winning, etc.) but is there something else, more sinister afoot than a great skater getting it together? Because if so, I'd like for you to share... hey, its figure skating ~ one never knows what's really going on...:unsure:

FreeKatie

On the Ice
while I would like to see her skating again, if this is not going to be judged she should probably bow out -- US National judges are going to be generous w/ Michelle even if she is not tip top -- and I think she will be on the US Olympic team if she is able to skate. I would think a week at US Nationals would be enough prep for Olympics since she has plenty of competition experience, obviously. I think Sasha will win Nationals this year, which could set MK up nicely for Olympic spoiler

JanJam

Rinkside
havanamesa1 said:

You mean all those years when she'd get so exhausted when she'd hit the 2-minute mark and would be so tired that she would just plod through her program?

She's transformed into a superwoman now -- doing 3-3-2s (!) and her endless fake Biellmanns and spins that start in Los Angeles and end up in California (not Los Angeles, CA, but Baja California, ha ha ha) :rofl: in the last half of her energy-busting program! :rofl:

JanJam

Rinkside
FreeKatie said:
while I would like to see her skating again, if this is not going to be judged she should probably bow out -- US National judges are going to be generous w/ Michelle even if she is not tip top -- and I think she will be on the US Olympic team if she is able to skate. I would think a week at US Nationals would be enough prep for Olympics since she has plenty of competition experience, obviously. I think Sasha will win Nationals this year, which could set MK up nicely for Olympic spoiler

Kwan probably wants to "practice" in front of an audience, just to get her "groove" back (not necessarily to perform those triples and spins ,etc. that will just risk further injury). It would be great to see all the skaters skate technically great and beautiful programs, especially at the Olympics, but we know someone has already won that one, so Kwan can probably count on a Nats title if she's fully recovered by January and/or a World title if Olympic gold medalist Slutskaya retires or decides not to compete.

JanJam said:
Kwan probably wants to "practice" in front of an audience, just to get her "groove" back (not necessarily to perform those triples and spins ,etc. that will just risk further injury). It would be great to see all the skaters skate technically great and beautiful programs, especially at the Olympics, but we know someone has already won that one, so Kwan can probably count on a Nats title if she's fully recovered by January and/or a World title if Olympic gold medalist Slutskaya retires or decides not to compete.
Disagree. I think this Marshall's format is to get more interest in figure skating and the phone calls are going to say a lot - not so much about the contestants as by how popular the sport is.

I think Kwan's entry was contracted to ensure there would be a good turnout.

Joe

JanJam

Rinkside
Joesitz said:
Disagree. I think this Marshall's format is to get more interest in figure skating and the phone calls are going to say a lot - not so much about the contestants as by how popular the sport is.

I think Kwan's entry was contracted to ensure there would be a good turnout.

Joe
Oh, yes, I'm sure this is the organizer's motive for scheduling this event (and at such a bad time at that) and I wouldn't be surprised if Kwan was "pressured" ("forced," "convinced," "invited," whatever). But I think the personal motivation for Kwan to actually go through with this is the chance for her to skate in front of an audience.

I think this is risky considering that by all accounts she hasn't fully recovered, so I can only pray that she doesn't injure herself further in the process (if she's really injured, that is).

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I also think that Kwan is there to boost audience/viewership. But at the cost of stealing all the votes. :laugh: