New Hersh Article- says Kwan probably won't be at December event | Page 7 | Golden Skate

New Hersh Article- says Kwan probably won't be at December event

kyla2 said:
I will always root for Michelle, but I will now root for the rest of them too and all for different reasons. Irina for her sheer guts and hard work, Shizuka-a skater's skater and Sasha-perfection on the ice
"I will always root for Michelle." That's way better odds than spouses get.:rock:

Bumbersticker: "Stay in love forever. Marry Michelle Kwan." I forget in how many countries same-sex marriage are legal, but I do know Spain just joined the group. So, if you're female, both marry Michelle and honeymoon in Spain, then take a quick trip up to Torino for the Olympics, either to watch Michelle skate--we hope--or enjoy the Olympics from the audience. :clap:

If you're a guy, I guess you'll just take the snoozer route and do Vegas.:cool:

Rgirl

Rgirl - Now that Red Dog has reached the 'anyone but' stage, what was the word you gave me to describe that? Talk about short term memory loss, I don't think I could get through high school at this stage.

I think the word sounded like Chaudenfroid. Is that correct?

Joe

Ah, yes. Schadenfreude -- taking pleasure in the misfortunes of others -- the very grundlagen of human emotions, LOL.

MM :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
It's not about wanting "anyone but Irina" to win this time. It's about NOT wanting Irina to win. That's it. I may pick someone else to root for but I DON'T want Irina to win. However, I think she will.

soogar

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
It's not about wanting "anyone but Irina" to win this time. It's about NOT wanting Irina to win. That's it. I may pick someone else to root for but I DON'T want Irina to win. However, I think she will.

I don't even like Irina's skating. I would rather prefer Miki or Shiz to take the title (and of course Emily:love: ), but I can't help but grudgingly admire how she's bringing it in the GP. This is the fittest I've ever seen her and even though she doesn't win pretty,she's throwing it down every time she skates. I think she'll burn out before the games, but if she doesn't, I can't think of a more deserving gold medalist.

R.D.

Record Breaker
soogar said:
I don't even like Irina's skating...but I can't help but grudgingly admire how she's bringing it in the GP. This is the fittest I've ever seen her and even though she doesn't win pretty,she's throwing it down every time she skates...I can't think of a more deserving gold medalist.

Well, possibly, but here's the thing: IRINA DOES NOT DESERVE THE OGM UNLESS SHE SKATES BETTER THAN ALL THE OTHER LADIES ON THE NIGHT OF THE OLYS. Doesn't get simpler than that. The OGM is not a lifetime achievement award, just like a World title isn't. However, the OGM is weighed much more heavily on a competition record than even a world title.

Red Dog said:
It's not about wanting "anyone but Irina" to win this time. It's about NOT wanting Irina to win. That's it. I may pick someone else to root for but I DON'T want Irina to win.
Huh? What could anyone possibly have against Irina?

I hope Michelle wins.

But Irina never did anything mean to me personally. Did she to you? :scratch:

MM

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Huh? What could anyone possibly have against Irina?

I hope Michelle wins.

But Irina never did anything mean to me personally. Did she to you? :scratch:

MM

I don't like her, and I never did. Doesn't mean I don't respect her, though. I do hold respect for her for coming back stronger than ever after having a serious illness. It's a big inspiration for a lot of people.

cianni

On the Ice
Red Dog I get your point

Red Dog said:
Well, possibly, but here's the thing: IRINA DOES NOT DESERVE THE OGM UNLESS SHE SKATES BETTER THAN ALL THE OTHER LADIES ON THE NIGHT OF THE OLYS. Doesn't get simpler than that. The OGM is not a lifetime achievement award, just like a World title isn't. However, the OGM is weighed much more heavily on a competition record than even a world title.
I get your point Red Dog and I happen to agree. Irina doesnt skate better then everyone else all the time in terms of the lost art of QUALITY and well balanced programs and never did ever. I will say she is skating well and does deserve to win this season HOWEVER she is NOT that much better then ALL OTHER skaters and does not DESERVE the marks she gets. I see the same old ,same old inflated marks for IRINA that Ive seen see every yr. I will say I want Michelle to win but if Irina DESERVES to win Im OK with that but not with a sloppy, unpolished ,flawed program. What is it about the statement Irina gets inflated marks all the time that fans dont get. Im not saying she doesnt deserve to win some of the comps and some she doesnt but her marks are always inflated for the quality of her skating. It seems anytime that comes up the subject gets switched to something else. I like Irina however her skating is not the quality of other skaters and that doesnt reflect in her marks. This is snooze season with poorly skated flawed programs and boring skating. Dont underestimate the causal fan they have eyes and mistrust already. COP wont help any.

R.D.

Record Breaker
This is snooze season with poorly skated flawed programs and boring skating. Dont underestimate the causal fan they have eyes and mistrust already. COP wont help any.

If SKATING FANS are bored with the skating (and I concur- the past two seasons have been bleh)- I don't even want to see what casual fans think. I think Turin 2006 will be a step either far towards the better or far towards the worse.

Gymnastics managed to survive a scoring system change, though- for some reason, I can't imagine skating wouldn't be able to.

Linny

Final Flight
Skaters from impoverished backgrounds

I'm taking "inner city" out of my point because there are certainly people living in poverty outside of the cities. I don't know the statistics, though, and certainly would never undercut the extreme disadvantages that an inner city youngster has in addition to poverty...

But it certainly is unusual for a skater to succeed when they come from an impoverished background. That's part of why Rudy Galindo is so beloved.

Isn't Rohne Ward also coming from a great deal of difficulty?

Are there others?

Linny

mzheng

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
Gymnastics managed to survive a scoring system change, though- for some reason, I can't imagine skating wouldn't be able to.
The difference is in gymnastics there is only floor excercise where the musicality and arts wer emphasized. So over all the points system weren't change too much of the other items......but in skating all there are the SP and LP both are skated under company of musics. So the musicality and arts aspects are emphasized in both programs. If COP so designed or used in ignoring this aspect of skating, it will cause more impact than in Gymnastics....I'm not saying the sport will not survie. The sport can always find new fans who appreciate the new feature that new system emphasized. But for those who originally drawn to watch the sport because of its 'beauty' may lost interest if the CoP system stays the way it is designed and applied now.

mzheng

Record Breaker
cianni said:
Im not saying she doesnt deserve to win some of the comps and some she doesnt but her marks are always inflated for the quality of her skating..
It is called "Set the tune!". lol

curious

Final Flight
I hope you include the other skaters in the "Irina does not deserve to win with a subpar performance":biggrin:

For years it was Schadenfreude (think I got it, thanks mm). It was anyone but Kwan. Irina became the great heroine of the nonKwan club until Sasha came on the scene. So now there is a nonCohen club. You figure. Irina can't lose.:cool:

Oh, these shadenfreudians!:laugh:

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
curious said:
I hope you include the other skaters in the "Irina does not deserve to win with a subpar performance":biggrin:

Sure. It goes for everyone else as well. Just cut and paste whatever skater's name you wish into my comment.

Eldredgefan2001

Rinkside
curious said:

Go even further than that. Let's say that "no one deserves to win with a subpar performance". :frown2:

nymkfan51

Medalist
I guess it just depends on what "subpar" is.
After all, several Olympic Gold Medalists have won with flawed short and/or long programs. I'm thinking Scott and Krisit, just to name a few.
Sometimes it's just who is the less "subpar" on that day.

kyla2

Final Flight
RGirl and et al.

RGirl, " I WILL always root for Michelle" AND my husband Bill. I am truly his biggest fan, so a same sex marriage is out of the question for me. Happily, Bill is no competition for Michelle-he doesn't figure skate.

I understand why some people don't love Irina's style (or lack of style) of skating. But if she has the best skate at the Olympics I hope she gets the OGM. She is as deserving as anyone. She has worked her heart out under tough circumstances and she has "upped the ante" at the same time. I have alot of respect for her, even while I don't totally love her style of skating. I would be ecstatic if Michelle won it, very happy if Sasha or Shizuka won it, and likewise Fumie.