Pairs Short Programs | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Pairs Short Programs

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
V/T have so much potential but their programs so far have been extremely disappointing. If they end up beating Aliona and Robin with this sort of material, I'm switching to biathlon or ski jumping.

Then get ready for a switch to biathlon or ski jumping. The Germans nearly lost to the Zhangs at Skate America, and that is with the Zhangs making mistakes and the Germans only making a couple. The Zhangs arent a top 3 pair team anymore. Volosozhar & Trankov would have slaughtered them at Skate America, and while later in the year it might be closer, V&T are taking over as the Worlds top pair team and likely will dominate from now until Sochi.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
There are reasons these two events took place in the Friday afternoon. Even the judges were not into it?

The arena will be packed tonight and tomorrow night for Prime Time. And the Ice Dance final on Sunday.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Then get ready for a switch to biathlon or ski jumping. The Germans nearly lost to the Zhangs at Skate America, and that is with the Zhangs making mistakes and the Germans only making a couple. The Zhangs arent a top 3 pair team anymore. Volosozhar & Trankov would have slaughtered them at Skate America, and while later in the year it might be closer, V&T are taking over as the Worlds top pair team and likely will dominate from now until Sochi.

That's only because at SA S/S took a chance to practice the 3A throw in the SP, confident they could get back on top with the LP. And they did.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
That's only because at SA S/S took a chance to practice the 3A throw in the SP, confident they could get back on top with the LP. And they did.

Yes but for that being their only SP error their score was very low. They made only 1 mistake in the short (albeit a big one) then skated a clean long, and still nearly lost to a relative has been team like the Zhangs who made 2 mistakes in the long program. We will see later in the year but I see Volosozhar & Trankov starting their total dominance of pairs skating this season.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Sui & Han would have outscored the Zhangs from Skate America had they done the triple toes it appears. I wouldnt be surprised if they take over as the Chinese #1 this year if Pang & Tong dont return for Worlds. I am pretty sure they are eligible for Worlds this year arent they.

gold12345

Medalist
Yes but for that being their only SP error their score was very low. They made only 1 mistake in the short (albeit a big one) then skated a clean long, and still nearly lost to a relative has been team like the Zhangs who made 2 mistakes in the long program. We will see later in the year but I see Volosozhar & Trankov starting their total dominance of pairs skating this season.

The throw triple axel fall was not S/S's only mistake in the SP.

Takahashi/Tran's program is lovely. I am glad their beautiful skating was rewarded despite their errors.

Duhamel/Radford skated well, and it was great to see them so thrilled by their skate and their score. I don't love their skating, hers in particular, but they did a great job today.

I'm disappointed Sui/Han kept their short program for another year. Bleh. It accentuates much of what I don't like about them.

Last edited:

LLLLutz

Rinkside
Sui & Han would have outscored the Zhangs from Skate America had they done the triple toes it appears. I wouldnt be surprised if they take over as the Chinese #1 this year if Pang & Tong dont return for Worlds. I am pretty sure they are eligible for Worlds this year arent they.
I don't care for either of these pairs - Sui & Han look exactly like Zhangs 8 years ago, and there's nothing promising about it.
Liked very much Takahashi & Tran - if anything, they might be a competition for Volosozar & Trankov and Savchenko in the future.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tatiana & Maxim's music for their SP is awful. A great song destroyed by orchestra. :laugh:

Last edited:

cassiem

On the Ice
I agree about Takahashi/Tran. They are one of those pairs that you can forgive small errors because they are stunning!

I'm sad to say this but I think V/T's program is terrible. I doubt they'll ever fulfill their potential until they ditch Morozov.

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I like T&T's SP more than the top 2. To me, they embodied pairs skating. Everything was beautiful. Their PCS should be closer to V&T. Certainly CH, IN should be superior to V&T's pile of poo, right?
V&T win on SS, PE.
Even for TR, T&T should be ahead.
What a shame about PCS. The judges just randomly give the favorites a huge boost even for an empty program.

T/T V/T
SS 6.89 7.93
TR 6.86 7.43
PE 6.88 7.86
CH 7.14 7.79
IN 6.93 7.79

Can't be serious, right?

Last edited:

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
I love Maxim and Tatiana. Their twist is amazing. Loved the outfits. Not to sure about the music arrangement ... it's such a famous song that hearing it like this sounds weird and a bit distracting. Nevertheless I loved their SP.
Bravo to Lubov and Nodari.
Still have to watch the rest of the competition on youtube.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I love Narumi and Mervyn. Too bad , this program is so lovely, I'd hoped they could go clean.
Good job, D/R ! Work it for the FP!
S/H..disliked this program last year ..breaking out in an allergic rash this year. Still just a bag of tricks to me.
V/T..waste of fabulous talent.

Tigger

Final Flight
I loved T&T, but boy oh boy was Narumi beyond lucky she didn't hurt her knee or her ankle or both after the botched landing of the throw. I thought for certain she'd hit the ice screaming just from the way her leg seemed to go. Very lucky young lady.

YAY MEGAN AND ERIC!!! Thrilled for them.

For such a great team, it should be a crime to saddle Tatiana and Maxim w/that...that...that thing they skated this afternoon. Tech wise, it was good, but other than that...As I said to my Dad, for a program that's done to Bring Me To Life, there wasn't much life out there. What a crying shame.

Wasn't all that impressed w/Jess and Seb. Yes, I know they're new and it's not been that long since they teamed up, but....Just not feeling it for them right now. Hope that changes come Canadians.

emma

Record Breaker
I can't believe V/T's throw triple twist - it was really huge and high and she seemed to float. Ok, so what is this music? (I admit to liking the costumes and the attitude...but I had to turn the sound down :unsure: )

ETA: just saw T/T - what a sweet teem and program, but yes, Tigger, so glad she wasn't hurt.

Last edited:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I love, love, love Duhamel and Radford's program! I was pleasantly surprised by Dube and Wolfe too, and of course I enjoyed Volosozhar and Trankov.. also Iliuschechkina and Maisuradze.

katia

On the Ice
Just watched pairs on youtube.
Tatiana and Maxim are great pair, they are very good technically but the music, the music is awful!! They could do such a good program but this one falls flat.
Duhamel and Radford had a good skate, and anyway, I always liked them. I like this program, too. And the Japanese pair is lovely, very nice to watch.

apple123

On the Ice
Are you kidding me?! S/H are much more passionate and expressive than the zhangs.

Also I think T/T are overscored a bit here due to the half host advantage. If you make as many mistakes as them, you don't deserve to be 60+ really.

I don't care for either of these pairs - Sui & Han look exactly like Zhangs 8 years ago, and there's nothing promising about it.
Liked very much Takahashi & Tran - if anything, they might be a competition for Volosozar & Trankov and Savchenko in the future.