Past Ladies Olympic Gold Medal | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Past Ladies Olympic Gold Medal

mrrice

Record Breaker
Actually, that isn't true. She has huge jumps, excellent spins and good skating skills. Her main problem throughout her career was consistency.

I agree, she also had Gorgeous Spirals and beautiful posture.

lanark

On the Ice
She received the highest PCS in the event. How is that not showing appreciation?
I said "some people" not the people who gave her PCS marks.
I was talking about the people who say Adios Nonino was boring or not a good choice or that it wasn't a good performance or that it wasn't artistically superior etc etc etc.
Also, I think her PCS should've been a little higher, but that's just me.

Sent from my Moto G using Golden Skate mobile app

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
this thread isn't going anywhere

That's the whole idea of this thread: to find a pretext to revert to Yuna vs. Adelina discussion. There will be more threads like that opened by users with fresh accounts as we are getting closer to OG (unless they are cancelled).

lanark

On the Ice
It's funny how the Sochi scandal becomes such a "tabu" topic. Every time someone brings it up there are always the Adelina fans or the "peace makers" who ask to forget about it or say it's all good or say that Adelina deserved it.
And then if people dare to keep discussing it they are considered "Yuna fans" or whatever.
I don't see what is the big deal of talking about that day.
It's a topic as any other. If you don't like it, just go find something else.
I don't go into threads I'm not interested in the subject just to comment "hey, you there! stop talking about this topic, why are you even talking about it???" etc etc
Anyone can talk about whatever they want. If you find it annoying or irrelevant or useless, it's even more annoying, irrelevant and useless to waste your time trying to dictate what people should or should not discuss.

Sent from my Moto G using Golden Skate mobile app

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
How about Sonja Henie's OGM win over Cecillia Colledge 1936 in Garmisch-Partenkirchen? If you want a scandal, there you are. Sonja's reaction to the narrow point gap between them before the free skate was priceless. That alone would be enough for a forum discussion that would make the Yuna-Adelina matter look like a testing thread.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
There is such great passion, one way to put it, on this board but we all will never agree. Some will say Witt was amazing and some will say technically too deficient compared to the other ladies. Star power no doubt but that does not mean she should win. Ito and Manley had great personalities on ice and technical superiority and speed but it is pointless because there will be Witt fans or other opionoins. Likewise the battle between Kerrigan and Baiul - heck we can't even agree because there will some who will throw in Lu Chen. We are a fickle, opinionated and passionate crew and we can make rational arguments for our faves or perspective - for those who say they are being fair and imparitial lol. I can say in my opinion the most starpower for oly gold imho is Witt by far. The most ho hum win was Yamaguchi. There is argument that with the ordinals system that Hughes could have lost when you change the SP results which was possible with Butyrskaya and such. Judges if they wanted to could have pummelled Tara artistically or even marked her down for h er small jumps. To play devil's advocate and to try to give some balance it is not impossible that Adelina deserved the gold. I note some friends not involved in skating thought she won. People need to know that people on GS are generally not the norm. They are more knowledgeable or more passionate about competitive skating and skaters. The 2002 SLC scandal sometimes gets characterized wrongly The problem is that there was some judge tampering or inappropriate communication. There was no need for such tampering beccause thessytem itself allowed for artistry to be the tie breaker so the Russians could have rightfully won even with some glitches technically especially if some thought skating skills wise they were better. The world is very interesting - what you think is obvious is not.

Nika09

On the Ice
I wouldn't say Kim was in Asada's shadow at all. But it wasn't another way neither.
It was maybe best period in ladies figure skating, period of strongest rivalry when every competition with these two was joy to watch. As for me Olympics 2014 turned into end of something beautiful in this discipline. Yuna's silver, Mao's drama, then Yuliya's story...
But well, these talented ladies have left amazing and unforgettable moments and I think they have nothing to regret about.

By the way happy birthday to champion with gorgeous skating and stunning jumps, Yuna Kim :)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Liz did 4 Triples, none in combination, all frontloaded, and the Loop wasn't clean.

Midori did 7, with difficult combinations, throughout the whole program. Her ability was so far beyond the field that the judges would have needed to go above 6.0 to accurately score her in comparison to everyone else.

liz had magic and dififculty; it o just had difficulty but those two stole the show from the battle of the Carmens and the American princesses.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think the real sadness of OGM ladies is that skaters like Kwan, Slutskaya, Asada, Cohen never got gold or skaters like Butyrskaya, Chouinard, Trenary, Bielman, et al never got any olymic medal.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
It's funny how the Sochi scandal becomes such a "tabu" topic. Every time someone brings it up there are always the Adelina fans or the "peace makers" who ask to forget about it or say it's all good or say that Adelina deserved it.
And then if people dare to keep discussing it they are considered "Yuna fans" or whatever.
I don't see what is the big deal of talking about that day.

It's also a bit pointless to argue about. Everyone has come to their own conclusion on what they think the result should be, and no one is changing their mind about it. We know what the pro-Yuna crowd thinks (better artistry, better jumps, judges cheated/missed calls) and the pro-Adelina crowd thinks (more difficult jumps, better spins, more transitions). That pretty much sums it up, doesn't it?

russianfan

Match Penalty

that isn't a "tabu" topic, but rather the topic which was discussed a countless amount of times in every single sport-related site which has a comments section(especially non-moderated ones (hi youtube)), with a countless amount of people being insulted in the process

lanark

On the Ice
that isn't a "tabu" topic, but rather the topic which was discussed a countless amount of times in every single sport-related site which has a comments section(especially non-moderated ones (hi youtube)), with a countless amount of people being insulted in the process

Well, no one is insulting anyone here so... we good?

Seriously though if you think there's no point in discussing this subject anymore, than you may discuss whatever you want wherever you want. :agree:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Well, no one is insulting anyone here so... we good?

Seriously though if you think there's no point in discussing this subject anymore, than you may discuss whatever you want wherever you want. :agree:

If you only want to rave about one skater, the boards have a Fan Fest category for such threads.

Regarding Sochi, I think the one interesting point brought up in the thread, by Blades of Passion, was whether there was some backlash of Yuna's failure to participate in GP events between 2010 and 2014. I'm not sure if it was an organized effort to hold back her scores, but I could also see maybe where the scoring was a manifestation of the judges' frustration with her lack of participation. Whereas I thought the PCS margin was too wide between Yuna and Mao in 2010, I think it may have been a bit too narrow between Adelina and Yuna. However, I wasn't in-person for either event, and a lot can go on in the arena that can subtly influence scores. In the end, I think the result was right but the scores should have been closer, factoring in missed calls for all the skaters. But, I'm not a judge so what I think doesn't matter much. :)

ejnsofi

Final Flight

Tabu? No. Discussed over thousand times and usually ended in uncivil manner? Yes (maybe not here as we have moderation but tumblr? YT?)

Seriously, what did you expect? That we would all rise and storm ISU headquarters with burning torches demanding justice for Michelle and Kim by crucifying Tara and Adelina?
Is there justice in the world? No. Can we be angry about it? Yes. Does is have any point to think about the past and get angry again? No. Yuna had an opportunity to appeal against the results but she didn't do it which only shows how much more class she has compared to her fans who sent Adelina death threats (and continue do it to other Russian skaters).

If you want to continue living filled with post-Sochi hate you're welcome. But projecting this hate against skater is not fair. It was judges who made a decision - not Adelina.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I think the real sadness of OGM ladies is that skaters like Kwan, Slutskaya, Asada, Cohen never got gold or skaters like Butyrskaya, Chouinard, Trenary, Bielman, et al never got any olymic medal.

Exactly.....In 1998 Maria went in as the European Champion and was in Bronze Medal position going into the Free. She lost the Bronze Medal to a rejuvenated Lulu and though I was happy for Lulu, it was bitter sweet to see Maria finish 4th. The silver lining is that Maria's 4th place finish motivated her to work harder and she went on to the most successful season of her career. She won Nationals, Europeans, and Worlds in 1999. The first of the Russian Diva's to win a World Title.

lanark

On the Ice
Tabu? No. Discussed over thousand times and usually ended in uncivil manner? Yes (maybe not here as we have moderation but tumblr? YT?)

Seriously, what did you expect? That we would all rise and storm ISU headquarters with burning torches demanding justice for Michelle and Kim by crucifying Tara and Adelina?
Is there justice in the world? No. Can we be angry about it? Yes. Does is have any point to think about the past and get angry again? No. Yuna had an opportunity to appeal against the results but she didn't do it which only shows how much more class she has compared to her fans who sent Adelina death threats (and continue do it to other Russian skaters).

If you want to continue living filled with post-Sochi hate you're welcome. But projecting this hate against skater is not fair. It was judges who made a decision - not Adelina.

I'm not projecting any hate on Adelina.
I do get angry about the result but I'm not to hate on anyone and wish them dead. That's nuts.
If some Yuna fans are projecting that kind of hatred on Sotnikova, please exclude me of that. I don't think that's fair either. And I even have stated here that her home cooked gold medal made more harm than good to her, which includes the hate she gets from crazy people.

The reason why Yuna didn't appeal is because she was just happy and relieved that she skated well, that's what was important to her, not any medals. I admire her very much for her attitude towards the whole thing.

The reason why I talk about it though is because I don't like injustices. I'm still a little naive and do believe that there can be justice in this world. A little part of me, deep down inside, still has hope that justice will be done somehow, someday. If you agree with me or not, it's up to you. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and to their perspective of the world.

I've been discussing the subject in a respectful way, so I don't see why some people here are so bothered by this discussion, telling me I shouldn't talk about this, asking me what is the point. If you don't see what is the point, just go find a discussion you think it's relevant and stop trying to shut people up.