Patrick Chan Article in Maclean's | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan Article in Maclean's

Sylvia

Record Breaker
The article did not name the second quad.
Yes, it did -- from the IN article (bolded below):
The Canadian world silver medalist, who will defend his national title in Victoria, BC, next week, is planning two quadruple toe loops in his free skate to Phantom of the Opera.
The quadruple toe loops -- one of which must be done in combination with another jump, likely a double or triple toe loop -- are planned back-to-back at the start of Chan's free. To make room, he is deleting the triple Axel previously done in the first half of the program.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Probably a good choice for him-My impression is that the 3A gives him more trouble than any other jump.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Yes he is not the first to do two 4toeloops, worlds 2004 comes to mind, BUT only Lambiel did it recently (and Joubert at worlds) , it is not so common now for skaters like 2001-2004 so it is rather impressive that with the context of his program and in this season he would even try two and also 4-3 in sp, his progress from last year is huge and impressive. Also impressive it looks to me that his set up for the quad is not so long and he looks liek he doesnt need much speed for it.
I dont want him to give up the 3axel though, maybe he can perfect that too with right advices.

Yes, it did --
Yes, two quads is the number, but it did not specify that they will take off on different edges like a Quad Lutz, or a Quad Salchow. They will just be two the same quads, one single and one in combo. I'm not demeaning a second quad in a Quad Toe combo with another jump. Most elite skaters do that. However, I would be more interested in a Quad Toe by a Quad Toe as van der Perren did.

OK, I have a question. Kevin Reynolds might try a quad loop. Under the new judging system, do mistakes on the landing mean that the jump is not "ratified" (whatever that means)? I know it is not counted as "the first quad loop in history -- ta-da!" if it is under-rotated or if there is a fall. But what about a two-foot or hand down? The jump will still be designated 4Lo, but with negative GOEs. Does it count?

In the old judging system, for instance, Michael Chack once did a one-foot Axel/quad Salchow combo, but it was double-footed. Michael Weiss did several fully rotated quad Lutzes, but he did not get credit for them because the landing was always two-footed.

Kurt Browning's historic "first man to land a quad" effort had a wild, out of control landing but he managed to stay upright, and it was ratified.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes he is not the first to do two 4toeloops, worlds 2004 comes to mind, BUT only Lambiel did it recently (and Joubert at worlds) , it is not so common now for skaters like 2001-2004 so it is rather impressive that with the context of his program and in this season he would even try two and also 4-3 in sp, his progress from last year is huge and impressive. Also impressive it looks to me that his set up for the quad is not so long and he looks liek he doesnt need much speed for it.
I dont want him to give up the 3axel though, maybe he can perfect that too with right advices.

Actually, Ryan Bradley did it in his LP last year at Nationals (he placed 2nd in the LP).
http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2010/64740/results.html

Layfan

Record Breaker
OK, I have a question. Kevin Reynolds might try a quad loop. Under the new judging system, do mistakes on the landing mean that the jump is not "ratified" (whatever that means)? I know it is not counted as "the first quad loop in history -- ta-da!" if it is under-rotated or if there is a fall. But what about a two-foot or hand down? The jump will still be designated 4Lo, but with negative GOEs. Does it count?

In the old judging system, for instance, Michael Chack once did a one-foot Axel/quad Salchow combo, but it was double-footed. Michael Weiss did several fully rotated quad Lutzes, but he did not get credit for them because the landing was always two-footed.

Kurt Browning's historic "first man to land a quad" effort had a wild, out of control landing but he managed to stay upright, and it was ratified.

Weiss did quad lutzes? Wow. I'm surprised he didn't get credit for them. I thought the old system was the same as the new one: if you rotate it you get credit. I mean, I thought I heard commentators say several times that they would get credit for the rotation even if it was two-footed.

I don't see why Reynolds' quad loop wouldn't count if it was two-footed or if he has to save his landing - as long as it's rotated. That would mean he would get the points, right? Hand-down, I don't know. Good question.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I don't think Takahashi's two footed 4F attempt at Worlds got regconition in the record book but that could be because of the UR rather than the faulty landing. :think:

I'll check that out.

genki

On the Ice
Dai's 4f at world was UR. He got only 5,50 and minus GOE 1.60, resulting in only 3.90 point.

I hate this rule. If you rotate in the air and slate like hell you will get about 6 points or so. What a stupidity. [ISU common,do something.

Anyway, I want Dai to skate like this again with 2 quads and artistic quality.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwS6BqjEOeg

Anyway, Patrick made a lot of progress this season. I do not like his skating too much, but I at least recognize that.

silverlake22

Record Breaker

Nadine

Record Breaker
I wish Patrick well, mainly because Rachael likes him for some unknown reason, lol. :laugh:

Seriously, I don't really get Patrick, sometimes I like him, other times not so much or not at all, so it's hard for me to really cheer him on. But as an athlete I do respect his commitment to want to raise the bar technically, although his fellow countryman Kevin Reynolds has already done that this past year by becoming the first man in history to land two quads in the SP (btw this season is the first season to allow men to do 2 quads in the SP), and also he regularly attempts 3 quads in the LP, usually managing to land at least 2, if not 3. :)

I'm just glad that the quad is back! :thumbsup: And hopefully whomever wins Worlds this year finally does a quad to win it, same as the next Olympics in Sochi, 2014. :)