Patrick Chan | Page 286 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

GRACEZ

Spectator
Sexy underwear, doggie toys and treats, an Olympic gold medal....................

Haha! An Olympic gold medal sounds like a good idea. Just so sad it's impossible.

I'll be there too, I haven't decided if I'm going to bring stuff to throw on the ice, I heard that most skaters tend to donate a lot of the stuff after to hospitals and stuff so I'm just thinking those single roses they usually have. Last year at 4CCs Korean fans threw a massive bear for Gracie Gold with a backpack and they put some gifts inside the backpack and she was delighted with it in the KnC. I think that's a pretty cool idea and I might steal it.

I remembered that, too. Poor Gracie, I think that gave her some sorts of comfort. But I'm afraid this will be a little bit girlish for Patrick, just saying.

GRACEZ

Spectator
your English is excellent!!!!!! keep visiting us !
Thank you!

4everchan is right; your English is excellent. And you're only a sophomore at high school! I'm very impressed. Do practice your English here whenever you need a break from all the school work.

Do you study traditional Chinese, such as the old language, Chinese history, literature, poetry, etc? I hope you don't miss out like immigrant children abroad often do. Then they better excel in something like Patrick. :)

Thank you! For me here is not just a place to practice English but a true fan club.

Yes, I study some ancient Chinese language. It's tough to learn. But I do admire my ancestors' ability to tell a complicated story by just writing a few sentences. The old Chinese language is no doubt the conciset language I know.

It's hard to miss out as someone like me, because my mother tongue is Chinese and I feel most comfortable speaking Chinese. Haha! Yes! They should! Patrick is def a role model for CBC or ABC.

And sorry I didn't reply in time. Please don't blame me but my teachers...

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Ooh that'd be so fun. But kinda expensive. I want to give lots of skaters or even everyone something so I'll have to think about it. :think: I love those plush roses they have at US competitions. But I'm not sure if everyone likes them. Krunchii what section are you going to be in? Maybe we should do a CHANpion or Oh Chanada banner or something. :biggrin:

When I was little they had mini Hello Kitties and bears with tiny backpacks and they're not too expensive, I think you might still be able to find them at Pacific Mall in Markham. I can't afford to go all out like Gracie's fans did but some chocolate and a personalized card would be nice enough and can fit in a tiny compartment.

And my sister is holding onto the tickets so I don't remember the section and she's not home right now. We've got rinkside tickets near the judges I believe.

I remembered that, too. Poor Gracie, I think that gave her some sorts of comfort. But I'm afraid this will be a little bit girlish for Patrick, just saying.

Patrick has never expressed any sort of discomfort with his own sexuality so I don't think a little stuffed animal would be too girly for him. Either way I haven't really decided what I'm bringing yet because there's a lot of skaters I want to see.

Last edited:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Haha! An Olympic gold medal sounds like a good idea. Just so sad it's impossible.

Ah my friend let us not forget the team event. Have hope and perhaps we shall see a whole batch of shiny, loonie coloured medals coming to the True North.

When I was little they had mini Hello Kitties and bears with tiny backpacks and they're not too expensive, I think you might still be able to find them at Pacific Mall in Markham. I can't afford to go all out like Gracie's fans did but some chocolate and a personalized card would be nice enough and can fit in a tiny compartment.

And my sister is holding onto the tickets so I don't remember the section and she's not home right now. We've got rinkside tickets near the judges I believe.

That's an option to consider. Thanks for telling me about it. :) Do let me know when you find out.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Ah my friend let us not forget the team event. Have hope and perhaps we shall see a whole batch of shiny, loonie coloured medals coming to the True North.

GRACEZ was responding to my suggestion on what to give Patrick at a competition. She was not necessarily thinking an individual Olympic gold medal was not possible for Patrick. I certainly do not think it's impossible. On the contrary, I believe it is possible, desirable, and would be one of the greatest things to happen. I'm just not attached to it like Patrick's and my happiness depend on it. When Kathy said that it was not their goal to win Worlds last season, I realized that was why he had such bad luck that the LP he had been performing wonderfully all season flopped. It was good to have his goals but it was not necessary to specifically rule out winning the big prize. It was a sense of unworthiness, a rejection of a divine gift, as all good things are divine gifts, before it was offered.

I believe in goals and desires, but one should be open to all good things, better things than one can think of or remember to include. I explained before that Takahashi missed the Worlds title when Patrick left the door open in 2012 because he had conceded before the competition when Patrick had had such an incredible season. I was attacked as disparaging Takahashi but later his coach revealed in an interview that they were actually aiming for the silver that year. So they should be happy to achieve what they aimed for, but at the same time, they missed the unexpected opportunity for what's even bigger. Contrarily, Javi won the latest Worlds because he believed he could even when Yuzuri seemed invincible.

Patrick missed the most desired goal of his life thus far because he attached too many packages to it. The door was wide open, but he was weighed down with heavy loads, probably including the responsibility and expectation to bring the OGM to Canada, that the OGM was the ultimate validation of his accomplishments, maybe even his worth, etc. I hope , as his fans aligned with his goals, we do not 1) dismiss or give up the OGM in Patrick's life, and 2) attach packages to it as if our personal joy, as well as appreciation and enjoyment of Patrick and his skating, depend on his winning this medal. We are going to be happy and to love and celebrate Patrick with or without it. But we should never rule it out but be receptive and welcoming as long as he desires it.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Patrick can only control what he does on the ice... not what happens to the other skaters or how judges put their grain of salt into the competition... so my personal wish for him is simply to skate well, both programs, so he can retire with the satisfaction of having succeeding his goals. Medal or not, I personally don't think it will be satisfying if he doesn't feel like he's skated well.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I've honestly started to have less expectations of Patrick. Someone once pointed out for me in this thread that fans should not set goals for skaters. I had never thought of it that way before, but I suppose that's the best way to think of a figure skating career. You hope that a skater or team does well, and they win everything they desire. But if it doesn't happen then we shouldn't be too disappointed because we are not the ones who set the goals. That's why I've stopped thinking about Patrick's missed OGM, or hoping or expecting one in 2018. My hope is that team Canada has a chance for that team medal because the event is not in Russia but even if that doesn't work out then oh well. Everyone should have fun and like 4everchan said that they have a satisfactory experience and can consider retiring on a positive note.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I've honestly started to have less expectations of Patrick. Someone once pointed out for me in this thread that fans should not set goals for skaters. I had never thought of it that way before, but I suppose that's the best way to think of a figure skating career. You hope that a skater or team does well, and they win everything they desire. But if it doesn't happen then we shouldn't be too disappointed because we are not the ones who set the goals. That's why I've stopped thinking about Patrick's missed OGM, or hoping or expecting one in 2018. My hope is that team Canada has a chance for that team medal because the event is not in Russia but even if that doesn't work out then oh well. Everyone should have fun and like 4everchan said that they have a satisfactory experience and can consider retiring on a positive note.

I was the one you are referring to here who said it was not up to us to set goals for Patrick and be heartbroken if he did not accomplish them. Yet I'm not contradicting myself with what I said in the last post. And not setting goals for him does not equal lowering expectations.

Goal setting is very important and many people don't do that or they set very vague goals, even wrong or very limiting and compromising goals. Worse yet are unintentional goals. Unintentional consciously that is. People often repeat certain statements without being aware that they become goals and commend for the unconscious mind to manifest. Be careful what you wish for. Someone proud of their ability to overcome obstacles and hardships have constant obstacles and hardships to overcome. Identification as a survival incurs crises to survive. Better to be a thriver. Beware of complaints and victimhood! America's love for wars is reflected in their War On Crimes, War On Drugs, War on Cancer, War On terrorism, etc. and they are very successful programs, bringing on costly perpetual violence on various fronts exactly as the names indicate. If their goals are really to overcome these problems, better to have programs for peace, health and prosperity.

Most people have limiting beliefs and limiting goals. Many believe in hard work as if it is a virtue. How about productive work, effective work, enjoyable work, benevolent work, profitable work instead, or even no work because you enjoy your vocation so much it's more like play than work? After all, the hardest working people are the poorest and often unhappiest people. They are called slaves. An interview of Takahashi left an impression on me. He related some experiences when he felt he didn't have enough time to train and be prepared for a competition. He could not allow himself to win or to have a good performance, I don't remember exactly what it was, but remember distinctly that he said he could not allow himself. Of course he did badly, since his work ethics forbade him to do well without paying the due of enough hard work. He would have felt undeserving and guilty to win. And in 2011-12 season that I mentioned, he and his coach were "being realistic" to aim for Silver, and guess what, that was what he got, even though he came 3rd in both SP and LP. I believe Takahashi did limit his own success in his competitive career, by being so realistic and believing too much in hard work. His work ethics worked against him.

Patrick, too, needs to be careful not to limit himself. Having great artistry and performances and winning are not mutually exclusive. If he wishes to win as I believe he does even when it's not the primary goal, he needs not set his own limiting conditions under which to win. It's not up to him to decide how others would perform or what's in the judges' heads. He just has to focus on himself and his goals while not denying a desire and any opportunity to attain it, like specifically excluding the Worlds title last season. It was probably the only time since 2009 that he gave up the winning desire and the only time he was off the podium.

Patrick's goals include the Pyeongchang Olympics Gold Medal. He came back to go to the 2018 Olympics, for the exuberating Olympic experience as well as the gold medal. I of course support him in this pursuit while hoping he would not be so attached to its attainment like he did. It's a great and desirable goal, certainly possible, but it should not dictate or define him, his happiness, his success, etc. It would be an exciting and joyous bonus and addition to all those things he already has in his life, and something more for us to celebrate, not something without which to be heartbroken about.

I'm glad I influenced Mango to relax in her fandom and support of Patrick. No, it's not up to us to set goals for him (or anyone else) but to be energetically aligned in supporting him in achieving goals he sets for himself, including an OGM. I am not going to exclude it for him.

Last edited:

GRACEZ

Spectator
favorite :) says a lot ;) not best ;)

Haha your words makes me realize it's "favorite" not "greatest". Than it makes a little sense why Patrick and Yagudin are not at least in the top 5 and why Julia Lipnitskaya can surpass Carolina Kostner, Yuna Kim and Mao Asada. In short words, it's all about fans' craziness.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
It´s sad that the photos are small :(

You can expand them. Right click, view image, than expand it more on the new page by clicking on it if there is a + sign or by pressing Ctrl and + at the same time.

Now I think I've seen those shoes when he modeled Harry Rose suits.

eta. He's so tanned.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
omy.... seeing those larger just makes patrick even more gorgeous.. his suit is perfectly fitted.... :love:
You can expand them. Right click, view image, than expand it more on the new page by clicking on it if there is a + sign or by pressing Ctrl and + at the same time.

Now I think I've seen those shoes when he modeled Harry Rose suits.

eta. He's so tanned.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Violet Bliss thanks for pointing out the goal setting.

I do want to say that though I have less expectations I'll still be judging Patrick's actions towards achieving his goal. That includes increasing the technical difficulty of his programs, which was initially why you spoke about goals. In the era when men are doing three different quads and many are doing two, one type of quad is not going to cut it. I think that is also part of why Patrick gave up on winning Worlds this year - he tried to add the quad Salchow but it didn't work out, so he increased his tech with another 4T and 3A but that wasn't enough. Realistically speaking he knows he needs more quads. And if he doesn't include them then I have to wonder how far he is willing to go to win. I'm waiting to see what he does before hoping for that OGM.