Paul Poirier to skate with... | Golden Skate

Paul Poirier to skate with...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
She certainly isn't up to Poirier's level now--but she does have a year to wait out; perhaps by then?

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
No offense to the editor of the article, but they really could have edited out the part where it seemed they were taking a dig at Vanessa.

Though many in the skating fraternity were of the opinion that Crone was not as good as her partner, her excellent physical condition made up for her lack of elegance.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, they could.

Does anyone know whether Vanessa has had any tryouts, and whether she has found a partner?

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:rolleye: I don't mind offering a bit of offense to whoever wrote and / or edited the article. That was pretty bad. In fact the whole thing was a bit off..reminds me of the sort of stuff that was making it's way into print during the pre and early season hype of C/P last year.

Take, for example , the business about they tested the waters with Emily Samuelson... what does that mean ?
The way the sentence is constructed , it could give the impression that the two had a tryout , or even that they had a tryout, but Emily didn't come up to snuff. Think about it..it says he had tryouts with several young Canadian skaters and tested the waters.. it could read as meaning the same thing , but actually , tested the waters could mean that they contacted Emily and she turned him down for one reason or another before it ever came to a tryout ; it could mean that they had a tryout , but she wasn't interested..in training in Canada, in sitting out another year , felt there was not enough height difference..almost anything. If they had a tryout ,why wouldn't the writer just say so ? That he / she didn't , but made sure to squeeze Emily's name in anyway.. gives off a distinct aroma of name dropping and resume padding.The fact that the writer added in that " tested the waters " phrase, says to me that there was no tryout and he/she didn't want to lie about it , but couldn't pass up the opportunity to use Emily's name, to make it all sound as exciting as possible.

After making that first un-cavalier reference to Vanessa , more blame is heaped on her by implication , later on in the article. When Carol Lane points out Piper's "physical attributes ..and outgoing personality " that aren't directly related to her skating ability , it invites the reader to think by comparison that these qualities were lacking in Vanessa. This strikes me as most unfair , because Paul was the half of C/P who displayed no personality on the ice. He's a wonderful skater, but very lacking in expression. Vanessa always tried to express for both of them, and by all accounts has an outgoing personality herself.For years much more could have been made of her physical attributes...but wasn't.

I wish this team well , but we're all well aware that they'll in the midst of a large pack..R/H , H/G , perhaps Vanessa with a new partner , O/W if they're continuing their early trajectory ..and who knows how many others ?

vintagefigureskater

On the Ice
No offense to the editor of the article, but they really could have edited out the part where it seemed they were taking a dig at Vanessa.

ITA. Nasty comment that adds nothing to the article. Surprising that it was left in. IFS usually does a better job than this.

I’m not familiar with Piper. Care to dish anyone?

austrian_waltz

Rinkside
I’m not familiar with Piper. Care to dish anyone?

Piper is originally from Colroado and comes from a HUGE skating family. Piper's twin is Alexe Gilles, the well-known freestyle skater. Her older brother Todd Gilles competed at the national and international level with Trina Pratt and later Jane Sumersett. Piper has been in ice dancing for many years and has had a lot of successful. Her first partner was Tim McKernan, now skating senior with Shannon Wingle. They medaled at the junior level in their first year after moving up from novice. After stagnating a bit and Piper growing a bit among other things (don't know them personally so I can't say exactly what led to the break-up), Piper comepted at the junior level with Zachary Donohue for two years. Piper and Zach made a huge splash in their first season together, medaling at two grand prix events and qualifying for the final. Unfortuantely, they were forced to withdraw due to injury but came back to win the bronze at nationals. THeir next season, they relocated to Michigan to train and seemed to struggled, but made it to Junior Worlds in the Hauge, where they finished 9th. The partnership ended. Zach has since skated with Alissandra Aronow and this weekend is competing for the second time with his new partner, Madison Hubbell, whom he says he plans to skate with long-term. Piper has been partnerless since the dissolution of her partnership with Zach, spending some time coaching and travelling before coming to the realization that she missed skating competitive. Despite being out of com,petition, I have no doubt that she'll excel with Paul. She's a fabulous skater with great lines, the heart of a dancer, and lots of competitive experience from a young age.

I wish them the best! Canada is lucky to have her. (I'm surprised USFSA let her go so easily...)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wishing them both the best in the new partnership. I hope that Vanessa finds a partner too.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think the fact that USFSA let her go so easily says something don't you think?

herios

Medalist
I think the fact that USFSA let her go so easily says something don't you think?

So what do you think USFSA can do? "Create" a male partner for every single girl from US out there without a partner? The Pethukov's and the Tchernyshev's are that easy to find ?? Tie them up so they can't skate anymore competitively?
She is not a world beater that is for sure with that 9th at JWC, but she is young, they might grow somewhere, we shall see.

Last edited:

KKonas

Medalist
:rolleye: I don't mind offering a bit of offense to whoever wrote and / or edited the article. That was pretty bad. In fact the whole thing was a bit off..reminds me of the sort of stuff that was making it's way into print during the pre and early season hype of C/P last year.

Take, for example , the business about they tested the waters with Emily Samuelson... what does that mean ?
The way the sentence is constructed , it could give the impression that the two had a tryout , or even that they had a tryout, but Emily didn't come up to snuff. Think about it..it says he had tryouts with several young Canadian skaters and tested the waters.. it could read as meaning the same thing , but actually , tested the waters could mean that they contacted Emily and she turned him down for one reason or another before it ever came to a tryout ; it could mean that they had a tryout , but she wasn't interested..in training in Canada, in sitting out another year , felt there was not enough height difference..almost anything. If they had a tryout ,why wouldn't the writer just say so ?

Emily has 2 years before USFSA will release her, so skating for another country would not be ideal for Emily. She needs to find a US partner.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Why two years? I thought it was two years from the last competition date (which would've been Worlds 2010) so she would only have one year left. Poirier/Gilles aren't competing until the 2012/2013 season anyway.

KKonas

Medalist
Why two years? I thought it was two years from the last competition date (which would've been Worlds 2010) so she would only have one year left. Poirier/Gilles aren't competing until the 2012/2013 season anyway.

Olympians and US champions are tied up for 3 years, not two. Emily was on 2010 Olympic team.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Olympians and US champions are tied up for 3 years, not two.
Is there a specific rule in the USFS rulebook about this or could you please provide a link to your source of info? Thanks in advance.

vintagefigureskater

On the Ice

The duo is working on a number for a small show in early August. Gilles laughed the entire time as they worked on the routine together at their Richmond Hill training base.

The small show may be this one that the Scarborough Skating Club is putting on tonight: So You Think You Can Judge

I’d love to hear how the new team looks if anyone will be attending.

Piper is originally from Colroado and comes from a HUGE skating family........ I wish them the best! Canada is lucky to have her. (I'm surprised USFSA let her go so easily...)

Thank you for the info! It sounds like Piper has an excellent background. :) No worries, she will be in good hands with the team at Ice Dance Elite.