People trying to oppose Tanith Belbin's U.S. citizenship | Golden Skate

People trying to oppose Tanith Belbin's U.S. citizenship

Spirit

On the Ice
During ESPN's coverage of the Paris Grand Prix event, they showed on screen a letter signed (typewritten, no signatures) by Dean and Lynn Mitchell, parents of U.S. ice dancer David Mitchell, addressed to Senator Hilary Clinton.

In the letter, they asked Sen. Clinton to block the legislation which would have sped up Tanith Belbin's citizenship process.

I can't find any link on ESPN's site about this story, nor anywhere else.

From what I can see on the TV screen, the letter reads in part (the emphasis is theirs, not mine):

Dear Senator Clinton

We are writing to you with urgency about a matter that is of extreme importance to us and involves legislation that Senator Carl Levin has introduced and plans to speak about. By supporting and passing this amendment you could quite possibly be denying an Olympic spot to one of your own constituents, our son.

<Long paragraph about David Mitchell's past results and his history of overcoming injuries. Relevance to the topic: unknown.>

They have worked very hard, and played by all the established rules for representing the US in international competitions. In our obviously personal opinion, no team where both are US born citizens should risk not getting an Olympic spot because the rules were bent or changed to help someone who is not currently a citizen.

Dean Mitchell, MD and Lynn Mitchell

I'm not sure what to make of it. Yes, they're parents who want their son to have his shot at glory, and politics is nothing new to skating. But it seems really cheap.

First, their letter completely ignores that fact that Levin's legislation is not designed to change the rules for citizenship, it's designed to fix an error in the original legislation -- the current rules -- so that the rules can be applied to people whose citizenship process began before the rules took effect, which happens to include Tanith. This fix would also affect the lives of many more people beyond a couple of ice dancers, so the act of blocking it solely for their son becomes even cheaper.

The U.S. can send 3 teams to Torino instead of 2. Why? Because of Belbin & Agosto. If their son gets that 3rd spot, will the Mitchells send B&A a dozen roses and a note which reads, "Thanks for the trip to Italy. Sorry about your spot. We'll send you a postcard. Talk to you soon?"

And then there's the attitude that a born citizen is somehow more important than an immigrant. No. A citizen of the United States of America is a citizen of the United States of America. Period. When Tanith gains her citizenship, the only difference between her and Mr. & Mrs. Mitchell wil be that Tanith will never be able to run for President (that rule is in the constitution).

Okay, end of rant. I'm just :banging:

Excidra2001

On the Ice
I'm not an American, and as much as I admire B&A for continuing with process, I understand where the Mitchell family are coming from. I'll just say that if Rabinowitz and Mitchell were on the level of B&A are today, a lot of people would not supporting B&A and their quest to obtain citizenship for Belbin.

Good luck to both Parties..

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Afraid I'll have to agree with Spirit. I was thinking that they wouldn't even have that extra team able to go if B & A hadn't earned it for them. If they want to go so badly, how about just beating them!!! I remember the team a few years ago stopped another dance team from going. I thought it was dirty pool then and still do. :sheesh: :frown: :frown2: :scowl:

ladybug

On the Ice
Maybe their son could work really hard and earn the second or the third spot that will be going to the Olympics.

I didn't respect Jerrod or Elizabeth when they played dirty pool and now I have lost respect for this team.

Ladybug

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
It sure is very bad sportmanship to try to get a place at the Olympics by using a back door and to try to hinder the participation of a pair team way talented above them, LOL... Very embarrassing situation for Rabinotwitz and Mitchell now and for the years to come... Skating fans do remember matters like this.

Especially ugly for Rabinowitz and Mitchell is the fact that without Belbin and Agosto there would be only one place for the Olympics and next Worlds, wouldn´t it?

It sure will be interesting to hear how successfully Rabinowitz and Mitchell will be skating in US Nationals.

Last edited:
First of all let me say, I hope B&A make it to the Olys.

However, the case against their going is strong. What is it about Tanith that she should receive such a special privilege that others seeking citizenship must wait till their turn?

What are the rules on receiving citizenship that clearly states 'exceptions'? and can we think of any 'celebrity' who has received this exception? In other words, is there a precedent?

Galler R/Miller are in their right to speak out about the possible 'unfairness in an exception'. but would they do that for a diver? It is in their interest to have a shot at the Olys if space becomes available. I can understand that.

Whatever decisions are made in this case, it should be remembered for the future

Joe

I don't blame the skaters. It is the universal fate of young people to be embarrassed by their parents. I can hear David Mitchele saying, "Aw, Dad, what did you go and do that for."

MM

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Joe, Tanith's problems result from the fact that she fell into a time warp uncovered by previous legislation. Applicants who applied later than Tanith have been granted their citizenship already, due to previous legislation.

This new legislation (which helps Tanith, Maxim Zavozin, and a hundred or two other victims) simply rights a wrong.

Not only did B&A earn one of the 3 spots all on their own. They qualified for the last Olympics, and didn't get to go to that one either.

Even prior to the legislation, she would have gotten her citizenship already if it hadn't been for system delays due to 9/11. And she would have applied earlier, except that she was too young to apply on her own.

And where is it fair, than Ben, a US citizen, should have to be screwed just to send a team which will probably be 5th at Nationals, behind B&A, but also behind M&Z .

Enough is enough. It's time Tanith got her citizenship.

Spirit

On the Ice
Mathman said:
I don't blame the skaters. It is the universal fate of young people to be embarrassed by their parents. I can hear David Mitchele saying, "Aw, Dad, what did you go and do that for."
:rofl:

Yeah, I was careful not to mention the skaters themselves. For all we know, they had no knowledge of this.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
They neednt worry. Now that the initial proposal in law change didnt go through, I highly doubt they will get it anyway.

euterpe

Medalist
Joesitz said:
First of all let me say, I hope B&A make it to the Olys.

However, the case against their going is strong. What is it about Tanith that she should receive such a special privilege that others seeking citizenship must wait till their turn?

What are the rules on receiving citizenship that clearly states 'exceptions'? and can we think of any 'celebrity' who has received this exception? In other words, is there a precedent?

Galler R/Miller are in their right to speak out about the possible 'unfairness in an exception'. but would they do that for a diver? It is in their interest to have a shot at the Olys if space becomes available. I can understand that.

Whatever decisions are made in this case, it should be remembered for the future

Joe

The fact is that persons of "extraordinary ability" who applied for green cards AFTER Tanith and Max (Zavozin) have already received their citizenship. The legislation is to correct an injustice, not push Tanith and Max ahead of others.

And it isn't specifically Tanith that they're trying to keep out---it's Max Zavozin, because Matthews/Zavozin, with high placements in two GP events, have an excellent shot at getting that 3rd spot for Torino.

The Mitchell letter is an insult to every naturalized citizen in the US.

It isn't as if G-R/M have a shot at the podium in Torino. If they do go, I expect to see them near the bottom of the results. Why are they more deserving of taking a spot earned by Belbin/Agosto than Belbin/Agosto are, when B/A have a legitimate shot at winning a medal? G-R/M are young (19 and 23) and will have other Olympic opportunities in the future, when they have developed more as a team.

G-R/M should be trying to win one of the three spots by dint of their skating ability, not Mommy and Daddy's letters to public officials. If Tanith and Max get their citizenship, then G-R/M won't make the Olympic team because they simply aren't good enough. If Tanith and Max are kept out, G-R/M are still guaranteed nothing. Gregory/Petukhov will get a spot, and Silverstein/O'Meara. Other teams who have the potential to place above G-R/M and who are Olympic eligible are Navarro/Bommentre and Mallory/Holdburg.

What adds insult to injury is that when this attempt to block the citizenship legislation was unearthed early last week, both the Mitchell and Galler-Rabinowitz clans denied they had done nothing as underhanded as that. I was literally shocked when ESPN did that segment last night. I didn't think figure skating people could be so mean and selfish.

This contretemps will not sit well with the USFS, and whether they were directly involved or not, G-R/M may have to bear the brunt of any backlash.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Thanks you for posting this, spirit, as I was going to do so myself after last night's broadcast.

May 'Team Rabinowitz' get its just rewards.

Spirit

On the Ice
euterpe said:
What adds insult to injury is that when this attempt to block the citizenship legislation was unearthed early last week, both the Mitchell and Galler-Rabinowitz clans denied they had done nothing as underhanded as that.
It's worth noting that the ESPN announcer said the words "allegedly sent," which means they hadn't confirmed that the letter was actually sent from the Mitchells to Sen. Clinton. The letter was addressed to Sen. Clinton and signed by them, but in proper journalism, that's not enough to say that the letter was actually sent. I was equally careful in my first post of this thread to point out that the letter had been signed with their typewritten names.

It is conceivable that someone besides the Mitchells sent the letter and used their names, although I can't imagine who in the world would do that. (Is it a crime to send a fake letter to a Senator?)

ESPN seemed sure it was legit (meaning they trusted their sources enough to go on the air), and it seemed legit to me, too.

I don't want to devolve into a discussion of such nit-picking details, I just wanted to point this out.

soogar

Record Breaker
Well it is unfair to GR&M. Instead of picking an American partner, Ben's coach went outside the country to pick a foreigner instead of developing an American talent to match Ben. And there are hundreds of girls who lack partners because there aren't American guys to go around. GR&M did the right thing in looking locally for a partner and trying to develop their talent together (and staying together) which is what should be encouraged instead of shopping around for the best partner. Ben probably would have had the same meteoric rise with an American girl since he is so talented but we would never know. Mitchell's parents aren't bad people for wanting to help their son out. B&A knew she was going to have citizenship problems and now they are doing everything to circumvent them. Mitchell's parents have the right to do the same thing as well.

I couldn't care less whether B&A got the 3rd spot or not, it doesn't entitle them to special treatment (by loophole or deserved) from Congress just to get an Olympic medal. Plus the Olympic medal talk always leaves a sour taste in my mouth because there are no guarantees that they will even get one. Ben is currently injured and there are several teams who could move over them in ranking.

Last edited:

FreeKatie

On the Ice
Good luck Tanith.

I hope Tanith and Ben can go to the Olympics, only because the best of the best are supposed to be there and they are in that category - the other US Ice dancing teams are not worthy (or I should say, their skating is not worthy) to be at the event compared to the Russians and other teams, but they are going to have a spot thanks to the hard work and talent of Tanith and Ben.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
soogar -- I would agree if the idea was to get a bill solely to permit Tanith to compete, but the proposed bill that would expedite Tanith's citizenship would also equalize the situation for thousands of other "aliens of extraordinary ability" who came to the US around the same time she did -- and have to wait longer for their citizenship than do "aliens of extraordinary ability" who immigrated under a newer version of the law that speeds up the process considerably.

Shanti

On the Ice
While I completely don't care about B/A dancing I must say Mitchell's mother action is plainly ugly. I saw G-R/M at CoR last week-end, they placed *somewhere* and their skating is nowhere near world leaders in Ice-dancing. I can only wonder where they can end at the Olys (if they make the team, of course).

NO SPOILERS IN THIS FORUM PLEASE. CoR has NOT aired on TV in the USA yet. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

euterpe

Medalist
GR/M placed behind a team who placed 19th at 2005 Worlds (Pechalat/Bourzat), and another team (Orlova/Novikov) who had been together only a few months.

That should give a clue as to where they'd place in Torino.

VINLUVSKWAN

Rinkside
Who the heck are Rabinowitz and Mitchell? I understand they are an opposing ice dance pair to B&A, but are they competitively at the level to challenge B&A "outside" the rink, if you know what I mean? Or are they just jealous and spiteful? I am leaning towards the latter, sinc I have never heard of them? OTOH, the only non-professional American ice dance teams I know are B&A, Petukhov and Gregory, Magerovski and his partner...

Frau Muller

Final Flight
In my book, G-R/M are in the same desperate-slimeball stew as the Giloolly-Harding Gang of 1994. How fabulous that ESPN obtained the letter & had the gall to air the piece. :clap:

I wonder what kind of 'greeting' GR/M will get when they step out onto the Nationals ice, come January? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Oops....somebody forgot to teach Mrs. Mitchell the Golden Rule ('Do Onto Others....")

to VINLUVSKWAN - Rabinowitz/Mitchell are on-the-bubble....one of the 2-3 teams fighting for that 3rd spot on the team. Certainly not challenging for the Nationals gold but possible bronze. So Mama Mitchell & Team Rabinowitz are certainly on the warpath. They ain't doing it just for the homeland & apple pie.

Last edited: