Plushenko's LP | Golden Skate

Plushenko's LP

Matt

On the Ice
Why is Plushenko's LP entitled "Tribute to Vaclav Nizhinski"? When I first heard that this was the title of his programme, my mind automatically flashed to images of some costume out of Le Spectre de la Rose or L'après-midi d'un faun or inspirations on that choreography. But, the more I watch his programme, the more I'm confused, because except for a few arm movements from those ballets mentioned above and music that Nizhinski enjoyed, nothing about the programme has to do with Nizhinski. I realise this isn't "skating for the deaf" and I agree that the programme is effective, but IMHO if you're going to go through the trouble of giving your programme a special, thematic title such as "Tribute to Vaclav Nizhinski", there needs to be some visible connection to that theme.

Am I just blowing hot air, or do you guys have any comments?

PS: What is the music that Plushenko skates to? I ask because I've heard it under three different titles :confused: Viktoria Pavuk skates to it and it's called "Miss You", Totmianina & Marinin skate to it and it's "Art on Ice", and Plushenko skates to it and it's "Tribute to Vaclav Nizhinski". It sounds to me like the exact same piece of music for all three.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Matt:

Did you mean 'Vaclav Nijinsky'? I am sort of confused by your meaning.

I have not seen Plushenko's new program to really make any observations, but I can say that I do not find Plushenko to be a very artistic skater in the first place. He is a great jumper of course, but I don't think this sort of program would suit his style. Again without seeing it - it's hard to say.

No doubt Plushenko is just skating to the music not trying to portray Nijinsky. Kurt Browning could carry it off.

Anyway, it sounds interesting.

valuvsmk

Rinkside
Ladskater said:
Matt:

Did you mean 'Vaclav Nijinsky'? I am sort of confused by your meaning.

I have not seen Plushenko's new program to really make any observations, but I can say that I do not find Plushenko to be a very artistic skater in the first place. He is a great jumper of course, but I don't think this sort of program would suit his style. Again without seeing it - it's hard to say.

No doubt Plushenko is just skating to the music not trying to portray Nijinsky. Kurt Browning could carry it off.

Anyway, it sounds interesting.

No offense meant, Ladskater, but IMHO Kurt Browning and Nijinsky are light-years apart in both temperament and artistic sensibility (and that's not to knock Kurt at all, because I find him to be a genius on skates, for the most part).

The late John Curry, Toller Cranston, Rudy Galindo, or perhaps one day even Johnny Weir - any of those I could see attempting a tribute to Nijinsky - but not Dewey's son (and BTW not Evgeny Plushenko, either). :)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
valuvsmk:

Don't underestimate Kurt! He is very versatile on the blades; however, Toller would be a good candidate as well. Also there is Jeff Buttle.

Plush does use some of the ballet music that Njinsky used during his run with the Ballets Russes. He also throws in a few of the poses from the photographs of Njinsky.

I'm not overwhelmed with the cuts in the music that he uses. A Homage to Njinsky is fine but adapting his moves on skates can not be done, imo.

Ken Russel's film on Njinsky is, well, a Ken Russel film. I would recommend a rental of the film for a look at Njinsky's life albeit, a filmed version.

Joe

galka

Rinkside
PS: What is the music that Plushenko skates to? I ask because I've heard it under three different titles Viktoria Pavuk skates to it and it's called "Miss You", Totmianina & Marinin skate to it and it's "Art on Ice", and Plushenko skates to it and it's "Tribute to Vaclav Nizhinski". It sounds to me like the exact same piece of music for all three.
Not in the first time it happened. Edwin Marten the most popular composer this season.

SkateCynic

Rinkside
Ladskater, I have to agree with you regarding Plushenko and his "artistry." I don't get why people go berserk with the praise for being such an artistic skater. Technical whiz? Sure, I'll give him the nod for that.

As for his tribute to Nijinski, I nearly fell out of my chair when Papa Dick snarked after it's debut, "I think Nijinski would be rolling over in his grave." Except for a couple of poses, it was just typical over-the-top Plushenko presentation.

Give the boy a program to some explosive Electronica or Techno, and I think his style would fit the music much better. IMO classical pieces just don't work for him.

(ducking and running again to escape the Plushenko fan wrath to come :p )

hlagirl25

Rinkside
Matt said:

PS: What is the music that Plushenko skates to? I ask because I've heard it under three different titles :confused: Viktoria Pavuk skates to it and it's called "Miss You", Totmianina & Marinin skate to it and it's "Art on Ice", and Plushenko skates to it and it's "Tribute to Vaclav Nizhinski". It sounds to me like the exact same piece of music for all three.

I am in love with this music and I too would like to know what it is? Did you hear Dick Button referring to it as Sheherazade at Europeans?

sk8m8

Final Flight
just a thought...

Perhaps another Russian, named Klimkin, could do far more to portray the "essence" of Najinsky than Plushy. Also, from another post I wrote that there is a difference between theatrics and theatrical style, the first being the equivalent of gnashing of teeth and knitting of brow, the second being a bravura style.

I find Plushy to be both, I just wish he'd concentrate on the theatrical style and lose the theatrics. ALL skaters (IMHO) have weakness, even our beloved MK, but in this skate and in most of his others I FEEL that Plushy needs to refine his style . He is so arresting to watch as a skater, he doesn't need all that other superfluous "stylings" to shine as the ametur skating world's premier male singles skater.

The "Najinski Tribute" may be just that, a nod to something or someone that is important. That was certainly the case with his "Petersburg 2000" program, which had little to do with Petersburg other than the name of the music and, I believe, Plushy's desire to find some music or incorportate something to honor a city he admittedly loves.

soogar

Record Breaker
I really like Plushenko's artistry even though this program does not suit him at all. I thought that his programs at the Olympics were so much better than Yagudin's b/c he just moves so theatrically and uncontrolled (not sure if this is right word)... he just skates with fire and he had a lot of sharp movements that really punctuated his style. This program seems kind of empty and dead...

thvudragon

On the Ice
Plushenko's music is specially arranged by Edvin Marton. He adapted it from his album "Strings 'N' Beats." You have to import it if you want to buy it.

The reason there are different titles is because different tracks are used by different skaters.

TV

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
SkateCynic said:
Give the boy a program to some explosive Electronica or Techno, and I think his style would fit the music much better. IMO classical pieces just don't work for him.
I agree. Just think of how great he was in "Macho".
I do enjoy Plushy's presentation style, but I do wish Mishin would hire an outside choreographer. I think a fellow Peterburgian Igor Bobrin could do a good job.

I really enjoy Plushenko's air turns. He is a natural. If he hangs around long enough, I see him landing a quint.

However, artistry, imo, is severely lacking. I understood it when he was a new boy on the block but he's been around in top competitions for quite awhile. I really think he should be giving me something more than just those multifaceted aire turns. They are good, but, well, it's just my take.

Ilia Klimkin, by the way, gave a fabulous rendition of Debussy's L'Apres Mid d'un Faun. He was Njinsky!! and then there was his Petruchka. He was Njinsky. IMO, Klimkin is the artist.

Joe