top to bottom

a lot of luggage for the shiblings
Eric and Megan having a really cosy ride
Jason being Jason
Adam being Adam
Tutberidze team with their nice choreographer in front
Kolyada smiling with some skaters I don’t know
charming Shoma
Jason again being Jason… so what’s his program content? Teasing us with quads or none?
and oh the awesome Chinese pairs
wakabond!!!
portraits and welcome greetings with flowers
sightseeings and as always some food

best picture: ’Aliona and her husband’

LOL no Johnny, how could he somehow not show up in gossips grand prix final practices?

Manuel Pablo Arnao

Figure Skating Fan & Real Estate Agent in LA!
On the Ice
FROM Chinese media:
Ladies:
the two Russian ZAGI and Stoskova did not come to the parctice, others' 1st pracrice :
Kostner: 3T3T, 2A,
Osmond:[lp 2nd half] 3lo,3F,3S,1A2T2lo
Stoko: [completed lp]3lo,3Lz3T,3F、2Lz,2A3T2T,3S,2A2T
Wakaba: sp-2A,3Lz?3T,3F

pairs:
sk and tm did not come to the ice
SH:lp with music-3twist4,3Sth and 3lift, after music-3Fth,3T,3T,3S(step out),3S
YZ: completed lp with music-3s?or2s,3t2t,3twist4,3lift,3loth,3sth, after music-3T2T,3T2T,3S all clean
DR: 4sth tight but clean, 4sth clean, 4sth step out, 3lz R step out, 3lz
SM: 3Fth*3 all clean

Ugh. Please tell me Caro is not playing on doing a triple toe, triple toe. It's time she upgrade to a triple flip, triple toe. Come on!

Shandy

On the Ice
A few random Japanese news clips (focusing on the Japanese skaters) that YouTube recommended at me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdWm8Lov6q8
Takahito Kozuka commenting. Shoma is apparently attempting 4 types of quads, including 4S, which he hadn't been including in his programs during the GP Series. Shoma apparently woke up at 9:55am for a 10am bus and got there later than planned (oh, Shoma). He comments on Shoma practicing his jumps carefully given that he wasn't at his best at IdF given the flu, Satoko looking a bit nervous/rushed (he interprets due to her being called up as an alternate recently), and Wakaba seeming to be in very good shape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUVBXFoQvx4
Just the first couple of minutes (the rest is a silly/fun segment where Shizuka Arakawa explains GOE with Nobunari Oda doing an example good jump, which she gives a +3, and an example bad jump, which she gives a -2). Shoma landing a clean 4F, Wakaba landing her 3-3, and Satoko landing a 3Lo. Also some information on the Russians' arrival. Interestingly, the Russian Fed announced beforehand that their skaters will not be answering any questions about the IOC situation (which seems good, since I could see the journalists asking some overly intrusive questions on the matter). Satoko answers an interviewer's question about the matter, and she half-evades the question saying that though she wants all skaters there, regardless of country, she's really only focused on her own performance.

You can always count on the Japanese to have the best (and funniest) fluff! :luv17:

randomfan

Record Breaker
Out of curiosity, why does the Russian team almost always fly to the competition a lot later? For many big competitions, the Russians tend to miss the first official practice because they arrived only a short while before (or sometimes they haven’t even departed yet!). :confused:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Out of curiosity, why does the Russian team almost always fly to the competition a lot later? For many big competitions, the Russians tend to miss the first official practice because they arrived only a short while before (or sometimes they haven’t even departed yet!). :confused:

This is a good question!! I don't know the "Real" answer but, when I was dancing in Russia, we prepared in every way, shape, and form. Seriously, I think that's the reason we all did so well. The Russian dancers were friendly, gracious, and worked MUCH harder than any group of dancers that I had ever worked with.

lappo

Final Flight

And out of curiosity, aren't they scared at the chance of a possible flight delay that make them arrive too late for registrations? Has this never happened before? Because, it's not that uncommon on international flights (or maybe I'm unlucky) and if you have a larger margin you can maybe find more solutions...maybe I'm too anxious, when I have to be in a place for job and I have a long flight or I have to change flights I try to always arrive the day before.

Kittosuni

Medalist

Some local clubs are doing this also. (although not really far locations)

Explanation is that they dont want to break the momentum from practice. New place/ training schedule etc can break momentum and can cool down the body/mind of an athlete. They don't want breaks because the body respond to it. So basically practice practice then get in there and perform, no breaks. But then again athletes also need to acclimatize so not really sure.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
At official practice they get maybe one chaotic 40-minute session per day, or two if they're lucky? At times decided by the organisers, and with one run-through in each session?

So maybe they stay at home as long as possible, because they can practice all day in their own rinks if they want, at whatever times suit them, coaches can join them on the ice, etc...?!

Less chance of a problem with "unfamiliar" food too...

Risk of jet lag though, unless they start changing their sleep pattern a few days before leaving (that's what I do :-D)...