Predictions on Worlds in each discipline | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Predictions on Worlds in each discipline

aa456

On the Ice
Expecting a splatfest all around.

Men
1. Denis Ten (doubles a 3A, stepout on 3Lo)
2. Yuzuru Hanyu (2 falls in the free on 4S and 3Lz)
3. Maxim Kovtun (stepout on 4T, falls on 4S)

Ladies
1. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva (falls on a 3A attempt but lands all other triples beautifully, major PCS boost up to 72~73)
2. Ashley Wagner (edge call on 3Lz, level 2 and 3 spins but extremely high PCS ~74)
3. Elena Radionova (huge stepout of 3Lz-3T combo, fall on the 3Lo-2T combo in the free)
Others -
Gracie Gold (crashes into the boards yet again on 3Lz-3T in both the short and the free, falls on 3F, singles the axel on her 2A-3T combo)
Satoko Miyahara (hit by URs on both 3Lzs, 3Lo and one 2A in the free to finish fifth)

Not to be mean or anything, and I know PCS are usually relative to competition, but i don't want to see the day when Liza and Ashley are getting 70++ PCS. if Mao comes back next season, judges better give her 80 then.

Bumdid

Record Breaker
Not to be mean or anything, and I know PCS are usually relative to competition, but i don't want to see the day when Liza and Ashley are getting 70++ PCS. if Mao comes back next season, judges better give her 80 then.

I wasn't even a Mao fan, but I was watching a fancam of her footwork for waltz masquerade, and holy crap even at that age, her edges was already better at any of the ladies competing today :slink:

As for prediction, I'm hoping:
1) Denis Ten
2) Hanyu
3) Fernandez
4) Farris
5) Voronov
6) Brown
7) Kovtun

Ladies:
1) Liza
2) Ashley
3) Elena
4) Pogorilaya
5) Satoko/Rika
6) Zijun

Ice Dance
1) Weaver/Poje
2) P/C
3) Chock/Bates
4) Shibutani (even thoug I don't mind if they're third)
5) C/L
6) Ilinykh/Zhiganshin
7) Hubbell/Donahue

Pairs
1) Duhamel/Radford
2) Stobolva/Klimov
3) Sui/Han
4) Pang/Ton or Kavaguti/Smirnoff
5) Peng/Zhang
6) Tarasova/Morozov
7) Scimeca/Knierim
8) Lubov/Dylan

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
What a tough call. I'm sticking with Tuk and Rad in the top 2 - I was going to pick Gracie Gold for 3rd but after 4CC I may have to change it to Pogo. Yes, russian sweep. boring. yawn.

Others: 4. Wagner 5. Miyahara 6. Gold 7. Hongo 8. Edmunds
- USA keeps 3 spots, but falls just short of medals for the NINTH time

I do hope I'm wrong. Reserve the right to change of course (and likely will).

Last edited:

anyanka

Record Breaker
Quickly ...

Men: (1) Hanyu (2) Fernandez (3) Ten
Ladies: (1) Tuktamysheva (2) Radionova (3) Wagner
Pairs: (1) Duhamel / Radford (2) Stolbova / Klimov (3) Pang / Tong
Dance: (1) Weaver / Poje (2) Papadakis / Cizeron (3) Chock / Bates

As for who I want to see on the podium ...

Men: (1) Farris (2) Ten (3) Fernandez
Ladies: (1) Radionova (2) Wagner (3) Miyahara
Pairs: (1) Kavaguti / Smirnov (2) Duhamel / Radford (3) Pang / Tong
Dance: (1) Papadakis / Cizeron (2) Weaver / Poje (3) Chock / Bates

tzazu

Medalist
Men:
1. Hanyu
2. Fernandez/Ten
3. Ten/Fernandez

Ladies:
1. Tuktamysheva
2. Radionova
3. Miyahara

As for my wishes...
Men:
1. Fernández
2. Hanyu
3. Voronov

Ladies:
1. Miyahara
2. Tuktamysheva
3. Rika Hongo

andromache

Record Breaker
What seems most likely:

Men
1. Hanyu
2. Ten
3. Fernandez

(Although anything involving Denis Ten should not be called "likely.")

Ladies
1. Tuktamysheva
2. Radionova
3. Wagner

My dream podiums (with a dash of realism, because let's not go overboard.)

1. Ten
2. Hanyu
3. Farris

1. Tuktamysheva
2. Wagner
3. Someone surprising! I love the Tukt/Radionova rivalry, but foregone podiums are boring. Not that I want either of them to skate poorly though, either.

I wish Kiira Korpi had a shot at the podium this year. I think her Worlds performances are what I'm most excited to see from the ladies, aside from seeing if Ashley is able to hold it together.

Last edited:

donezo

On the Ice
Men:
1. Ten
2. Hanyu
3. Fernandez

Ladies:
1. Tuktamysheva
2. Radionova
3. Wagner

Pairs:
1. Duhamel/Radford
2. Stolbova/Klimov
3. Kavaguti/Smirnov

Dance:
1. Papadakis/Cizeron
2. Weaver/Poje
3. Chock/Bates

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
What seems most likely:

Ladies
1. Tuktamysheva
2. Leonova
3. Wagner

My dream podiums (with a dash of realism, because let's not go overboard.)

1. Tuktamysheva
2. Wagner
3. Someone surprising! I love the Tukt/Leonova rivalry, but foregone podiums are boring. Not that I want either of them to skate poorly though, either.

wow, such faith in Alena of all people! Not that I didn't like her SP for this season and not that the judges didn't like it too... but still I'm thinking you perhaps meant Radionova? ;)

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
wow, such faith in Alena of all people! Not that I didn't like her SP for this season and not that the judges didn't like it too... but still I'm thinking you perhaps meant Radionova? ;)

Alena instead of Elena? LOL! Not going to happen. In fact, Alena isn't even going to be at Worlds.

andromache

Record Breaker

Edited to fix it! Of course I meant Radionova. It's taken me forever to learn how to spell all of the Russian ladies names, and now it turns out I still mix them up! (The names, not the skaters!) :laugh:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
My Guesses:

1) D10
2) Hanyu
3) Fernandez
4) Yan (hometown boy)
5) Farris
6) Kovtun
7) Brown
8) Voronov
9) Mura
10) Nyguen

Ladies:
1) Radionova
2) Tuktamysheva
3) Wagner
4) Pogorilaya
5) Miyahara
6) Edmunds
7) Gold
8) Hongo
9) Li
10) Park

Ice Dance
1) Papadakis/Cizeron
2) Weaver/Poje
3) Chock/Bates
4) Shibutani/Shibutani
5) Cappelini/Lanotte
6) Ilinykh/Zhiganshin
7) Gilles/Poirer
8) Stepanova/Bukin
9) Hubbell/Donahue
10) Coomes/Buckland

Pairs
1) Duhamel/Radford
2) Stobolva/Klimov
3) Peng/Zhang
4) Kavaguti/Smirnoff
5) Sui/Han
6) Pang/Tong
7) Tarasova/Morozov
8) Scimeca/Knierim
9) Denney/Frazier
10) Illiushesckina/Moskovitch

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Pairs has become more interesting after Europeans and 4CC. Duhamel/Radford are still a lock for gold, but the 2-6 places has grown less stable. I'm sure the judges want to give silver to Stolbova/Klimov, but they've been mistake-prone in their last two competitions, and even lost to Kavaguti/Smirnov (with a lift error of their own). However, I still don't see them dropping below 3rd, whereas anywhere in the top 6 is a possibility for everyone else.

Kavaguti/Smirnov have impressive technical content, but pull little GOE and aren't immune to huge meltdowns. Pang/Tong receive some of the highest PCS. But the truth is, their technical content--while plenty impressive back in 2004--isn't enough for 2015. Peng/Zhang would probably make their customary ~2 errors on the SBS jumps, and where they place depends on how everyone else skates. Sui/Han... if they skate like TEB, they could be on the podium, since we'll probably see at least one meltdown. However, the judges won't give them room for error.

Does anyone know the likely groups for Worlds? That could be crucial to how the SPs are scored.

Flaya

Match Penalty
I wish Kiira Korpi had a shot at the podium this year. I think her Worlds performances are what I'm most excited to see from the ladies, aside from seeing if Ashley is able to hold it together.

I agree with you! I am so looking forward to Kiira's performance and I hope she'll follow the Caro route and stick with us until the next Olympics. I love to see figure skaters in their late 20s or even 30s compete at the Olympics.

She better makes the top 10 though because winning Finnish championships will only become more difficult, so it would be safer if 2 Finnish girls could compete next year. I am not sure if she's completely recovered but top 10 is clearly within her reach.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
:rofl:Let's hope that would not happen.
What IF Radio crumbles under pressure and bombs, Tukt goes for 3As and fails which affects the rest of the programme. AND the tech panel suddenly fall asleep during Ashley's triples.
I can see Wagner winning it all.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Ladies:
1. Kiira Korpi
2. Zijun Li
3. Kanako Murakami

Men:
1. Maxim Kovtun
2. Misha Ge
3. Denis Ten

Pairs:
1. Duhamel/Radford
2. Denney/Frazier
3. Sui/Han

Dance:
1. Shibutani/Shibutani
2. Cappellini/Lanotte
3. Gilles/Poirier

pohatta

On the Ice
I agree with you! I am so looking forward to Kiira's performance and I hope she'll follow the Caro route and stick with us until the next Olympics. I love to see figure skaters in their late 20s or even 30s compete at the Olympics.

She better makes the top 10 though because winning Finnish championships will only become more difficult, so it would be safer if 2 Finnish girls could compete next year. I am not sure if she's completely recovered but top 10 is clearly within her reach.

If Finland gets 2 spots for 2016 Worlds, there's a remote chance for 3 spots in the Helsinki Worlds 2017. That of course requires a major breakthrough from Saarinen, Lindfors or Efimenko next year.

amc987

On the Ice
Men
1. Ten
2. Hanyu
3. Fernandez
4. Kovtun/Voronov
5. Kovtun/Voronov
6. Farris

Ladies
1. Tuktamysheva
2. Wagner
3. Radionova
4. Pogorilaya
5. Gold
6. Miyahara

Pairs
1. Duhamel/ Radford
2. Stolbova/ Klimov
3. Kavaguti/ Smirnov

Dance
1. Weaver/ Poje
2. Chock/ Bates
3. Papadakis/ Cizeron

Flaya

Match Penalty
Here is my top 10 prediction in Ladies (now that 4 CC are concluded).

1 Tuktamysheva RUS
2 Radionova RUS
3 Pogorilaya RUS
4 Wagner USA
5 Miyahara JPN
6 Edmunds USA
7 Murakami JPN
8 Li CHN
9 Korpi FIN
10 Gold USA