Men

1. Denis
2. Yuzuru
3. Javi

Women

1. Elizaveta
2. Elena
3. Satoko

I just realized that next year the men's field will be stack with the expected return of Chan and PCS boost to Farris, Yan, Uno and co. Next year's podium barring injuries will probably have 6 or 7 guys fighting for the podium. In 2010-11 you only had Takahashi and Chan. Then Hanyu and Fernandez joined them. Paraxodically Ten despite being the 2013 World Champion:) was not given the same love the next season and was given a paltry 82 in PCS in Sochi in comparison to the 90+ given to the train wreck of a performance of the gold and silver medalist. Even Machida:disapp: beat him to it, a barely 80's skater the entire Olympic season up the Olympics and then Takahashi retired and all of a sudden his Flappy Bird FS was given a 90+ at Worlds:rolleye:. I am getting off-topic:laugh: somewhat but I just want to go over the history of the podium favorites the last few years which I am glad to say has truly welcome its newest member Denis Ten:cheer:.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^I'm not a fan of Machida's Flappy Bird program, but it wasn't worse than most of the men's LPs that season. His East of Eden SP was sublime.

My prediction since Europeans was Denis getting silver ahead of Javier. 4CC actually worries me a bit--what if Denis just did his great late-season performance? And it's all downhill from here...? :slink:

LRK

Record Breaker
Oh, come on, Sandpiper! Maybe this is simply Second-Half-of-the-Season Denis?

(By the way, what's up - you seem to have a terribly dismal outlook on things today? :))

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Oh, come on, Sandpiper! Maybe this is simply Second-Half-of-the-Season Denis?

(By the way, what's up - you seem to have a terribly dismal outlook on things today? :))
Huh? I said the 4CC free single-handedly restored my faith in men's skating. Ain't that optimistic--oh, you meant my post on Liza. Sorry, that was stupid of me.

Good luck to Denis at Worlds. I hope I reverse-jinxed him. ;)

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Expecting a splatfest all around.

Men
1. Denis Ten (doubles a 3A, stepout on 3Lo)
2. Yuzuru Hanyu (2 falls in the free on 4S and 3Lz)
3. Maxim Kovtun (stepout on 4T, falls on 4S)

Ladies
1. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva (falls on a 3A attempt but lands all other triples beautifully, major PCS boost up to 72~73)
2. Ashley Wagner (edge call on 3Lz, level 2 and 3 spins but extremely high PCS ~74)
3. Elena Radionova (huge stepout of 3Lz-3T combo, fall on the 3Lo-2T combo in the free)
Others -
Gracie Gold (crashes into the boards yet again on 3Lz-3T in both the short and the free, falls on 3F, singles the axel on her 2A-3T combo)
Satoko Miyahara (hit by URs on both 3Lzs, 3Lo and one 2A in the free to finish fifth)

Have you a magic ball? :laugh:

LRK

Record Breaker
Huh? I said the 4CC free single-handedly restored my faith in men's skating. Ain't that optimistic--oh, you meant my post on Liza. Sorry, that was stupid of me.

Good luck to Denis at Worlds. I hope I reverse-jinxed him. ;)

Oh, I just read two - quite uncharacteristically - gloomy posts of yours in a row. And you weren't being stupid.:)

ETA - There are lots of threads I haven't read - so you may have been spreading sunshine everywhere else... and I wouldn't have known about it.:)

Last edited:

whatif

Medalist
In MEN, I am lighting my candles for, in any order:
Kazakhstan
Spain
Uzbekistan

Now that would be an AWESOME and REFRESHING podium.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Oh, I just read two - quite uncharacteristically - gloomy posts of yours in a row. And you weren't being stupid.:)

ETA - There are lots of threads I haven't read - so you may have been spreading sunshine everywhere else... and I wouldn't have known about it.:)
Don't go into the 4CC pairs thread. I might've gone a little bonkers last night. :slink:

LRK

Record Breaker
Don't go into the 4CC pairs thread. I might've gone a little bonkers last night. :slink:

:laugh:

I saw a little of that actually - though I'm not sure I'm quite "up to date" with the thread. If I'd remembered that, I'd simply have surmised you'd tripped on your pitchfork and had the handle knock you in the eye - that would blacken anyone's outlook. ;)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
For your enjoyment, the SB's have been updated. Here's overall, top 12 (of those who are expected to be at Worlds) for Men, Pairs and Ice Dance (Ladies is tonight)

Men:
1. Denis Ten 289.46
2. Yuzuru Hanyu 288.16
4. Javier Fernandez 265.01
5. Joshua Farris 260.01
6. Han Yan 259.47
9. Takahito Mura 255.81
10. Sergei Voronov 252.00
11. Maxim Kovtun 243.35
12. Jason Brown 243.21
13. Michal Brezina 241.23
15. Misha Ge 238.05
18 Nam Nguyen 232.24

Pairs:
1. Duhamel/Radford 220.72
2. Stolbova/Klimov 213.72
3. Kavaguti/Smirnov 209.16
4. Peng/Zhang 201.45
5. Sui/Han 200.68
6. Pang/Tong 199.99
7. Scimeca/Knierim 187.98
10. Denney/Frazier 183.84
11. Tarasova/Morozov 183.02
13. Seguin/Bilodeau 175.57
14. Marchei/Hotarek 173.39
15. Ilushechkina/Moscovitch 173.50

Ice Dance:
1. Weaver/Poje 181.14
2. Papadakis/Cizeron 179.97
3. Chock/Bates 176.18
4. Cappellini/Lanotte 171.52
5. Shibutani/Shibutani 170.79
6. Hubbell/Donohue 166.74
7. Guignard/Fabbri 166.46
8. Gilles/Poirier 162.25
9. Stepanova/Bukin 160.95
10. Ilinykh/Zhiganshin 160.43
11. Coomes/Buckland 162.02
12. Hurtado/Diaz 155.81

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
For your enjoyment, the SB's have been updated. Here's overall, top 12 (of those who are expected to be at Worlds) for Men, Pairs and Ice Dance (Ladies is tonight)

Men:
1. Denis Ten 289.46
2. Yuzuru Hanyu 288.16
4. Javier Fernandez 265.01
5. Joshua Farris 260.01
6. Han Yan 259.47

9. Takahito Mura 255.81
10. Sergei Voronov 252.00
11. Maxim Kovtun 243.35
12. Jason Brown 243.21
13. Michal Brezina 241.23
15. Misha Ge 238.05
18 Nam Nguyen 232.24

Go for it boys! I was saying before hand we need a surprise on the podium... I think one of those two is going to make it! Josh looks to have even more momentum, but Hanee is the home town boy. I wish them both luck :)

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I'm going to wait until after 4CC is over to make ladies' predictions, but here are my predictions for the other three events.

PAIRS

1) Duhamel/Radford
2) Stolbova/Klimov
3) Kavaguti/Smirnov or one of the Chinese teams (earlier in the season, I would have said maybe Tarasova/Morozov, but now I don't think so)

DANCE

1) Weaver/Poje (not by much)
2) Chock/Bates
3) Cappellini/Lanotte (but Papadakis/Cizeron or the Shibs could also unseat them, and Russia's I/Z are also a dark horse)

MEN

1) Hanyu
2) Ten
3) Kovtun or Fernandez

Flaya

Match Penalty
MEN

1. Hanyu, 2 Ten, 3 Fernandez

WOMEN (I may correct it after tonight's Four Continents but I predict a sweep.

1. Tuktamysheva, 2 Radionova, 3 Pogorilaya

... when is the last time something like that happened? Yamaguchi, Harding and Kerrigan?

PAIRS

1. Duhamel/Radford, 2 Stolbova/Klimov, 3 Pang/Tong

DANCE

1. Weaver/Poje, 2 Papadakis/Cizeron, 3 Chock/Bates

As far as Patrick Chan goes, I do not see this overrated skater doing just as well after he comes back, when is the last time he skated clean in a major competition? The most overrated skater ever, but I am all for a come back, we will see a Brian Joubert type of situation until he retires in 2018. ;)

ks777

Record Breaker
Ladies

1. Russian girl
2. Russian girl
3. Gold or Wager
5. Russian girl or Miyahara

Men

1. Hanyu
2. Ten
3. Fernandez
4. Farris(I am hoping)

I don't watch pairs and ice dance.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I'm going to predict the ladies now...

1. Tuktamysheva or Radionova
2. Tuk or Radionova
3. Pogo or Wagner... I'm leaning toward Wagner at the moment

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
I'm leaning towards an all Russian podium at Worlds. I'd be glad if Ash beats out Pogo for bronze, but it just seems like an American curse I guess for now.

Funny that Edmunds' score wouldn't be enough for bronze at Euros.

whatif

Medalist
What IF Radio crumbles under pressure and bombs, Tukt goes for 3As and fails which affects the rest of the programme. AND the tech panel suddenly fall asleep during Ashley's triples.
I can see Wagner winning it all.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Last and only time it's happened, I believe.

Yep, only time in women's event. I wikipedia'd just to be sure.

Just so you know... Austrians swept the men several times in the 1920's, Americans did several times in the 1950's. No one since then.

In pairs, there was a German/Nazi sweep in 1939, and a couple of Soviet sweeps in the Irina Rodnina era.

Ice dance: A couple of British sweeps in the 1950's when dance was first added to the program. Several Soviet/Russian sweeps during their era of dominance, most recently twice in a row in the early 1990's.

A podium sweep is a pretty rare thing.

Edit: spelling