Quadgod Ilia Malinin wants to show more than jumps | Golden Skate

Quadgod Ilia Malinin wants to show more than jumps

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

“I talk regularly on the phone with Ilia, as well as his parents,” said Arutyunyan. “He has improved dramatically since I first watched him a couple years ago. We are already talking about going further and I would really like to see him work with Shae-Lynn (Bourne). She is such a unique choreographer and person and I think she could really take him higher.”

What are your thoughts with Malinin working with Bourne?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really liked this quote:
“Jumping is really my strong side and I think I’ll be well known as a really good jumper,” Malinin pointed out, “but if I want to potentially have a good result at the Olympics, I think I need to improve the other aspects of my skating.”

He has already improved his spins so much, I look forward to the rest. I know ShaeLynn is Raf's go-to for outside choreo, but I would love to see Ilia really challenge himself with someone like Rohene. Shae-Lynn is a great choice to start with, though.

noskates

Record Breaker
This is very heartening to read. But I agree - Rohene would take him to a new level. But I'm really glad Ilia and his team realize/know that jumping is just not enough. I really look forward to seeing him at Nationals in January.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada

“I talk regularly on the phone with Ilia, as well as his parents,” said Arutyunyan. “He has improved dramatically since I first watched him a couple years ago. We are already talking about going further and I would really like to see him work with Shae-Lynn (Bourne). She is such a unique choreographer and person and I think she could really take him higher.”

What are your thoughts with Malinin working with Bourne?
As long as it is something upbeat and dare to suit his personality, they’re all good.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Oh dear... "something Japanese" for a free program? That could either be fantastic (Joe Hisaishi is criminally underused), rather tasteless (I don't need another "Oriental" program), or Memoirs of a Geisha. If it is the last one, I will close my laptop, put on sturdy boots, walk to the Arctic, and spend the rest of my days with penguins and polar bears.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A while back, I posted about my YouTube rabbit hole experience with old Ilia programs.

His parents exposed him to many different kinds of music for his programs as he was growing up. Working from memory, so not complete... he had a swing program, a comic Western, a military-type march, something Russian orchestral sounding, a Spanish/Latin theme, and there were others I'm not recalling.

I thought both his recent competition programs had sort of the same vibe, so I'm interested to see how he handles different material.

Swing/jazz is sort of self-explanatory, but "Japanese" could mean anything... from the obscure/ancient to warhorse to anime/video game themes.

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When I read Ilia mention something Japanese that he'd done a while back, I immediately remembered this:

Yes, the video quality is extremely shaky, but that is Ilia in a cute little Seimei-style outfit with references to Yuzuru's choreography in there. 😍 I wonder if he'll use this mixture of Japanese music again in some form next season. I have to say, the music cuts here leave something to be desired...

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree with Raf, Bourne would be an excellent choice for Malinin as a choreographer.

Agree. Shae-Lynne choreographs to show the brilliance of the skater that's already there. Rohene seems to choreograph to make things harder for the skater who's already there. That's a challenge, but on top of the challenge already present in Ilia's jumping, could be too much. That is just my opinion. Of course, sometimes Rohene gets it brilliantly right, as with Jason's Riverdance.

Ilia seems very level-headed and unspoiled. I really like that he's already talking about developing his skating in other directions, while knowing that his jumping is what he's known for.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Agree. Shae-Lynne choreographs to show the brilliance of the skater that's already there. Rohene seems to choreograph to make things harder for the skater who's already there. That's a challenge, but on top of the challenge already present in Ilia's jumping, could be too much. That is just my opinion. Of course, sometimes Rohene gets it brilliantly right, as with Jason's Riverdance.

Ilia seems very level-headed and unspoiled. I really like that he's already talking about developing his skating in other directions, while knowing that his jumping is what he's known for.

????

I have seen nothing in Rohene's work that makes the choreo "harder" than the skater's talents. He tailored choreo for Mariah's strengths, for Chock/Bates' strengths, for Alysa Liu's strengths, and I really liked the programs he did for those skaters. It is true that he pushes Jason, because he knows Jason can do choreo that no one else can, but he doesn't give Jason's programs to other skaters.:)

Not only do I think Rohene would be good for Ilia because I like Rohene, but Rohene as a skater was a jumper. A big, beautiful, athletic jumper, doing quads from standing positions when quads were not a "thing". Sadly, he was doing that mostly in practice, because he had no head for competition.

I think he would challenge Ilia, but he wouldn't give Ilia more than he could handle. That said, ShaeLynn does good work, and since Ilia knows he needs balance in his programs, I'm sure she will work toward that.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Saw this same writeup on Google. I sincerely hope Ilia isn't overwhelmed with the expectations that are being put on him as the heir apparent to Nathan. That can be pretty heavy stuff.

Where on "Google"? Link? There have of course been other articles earlier this season, but this includes a few new tidbits with basic background :)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I would re-think "something Japanese" if I was his team. Ilia is already going to get a lot of threats, abuse and hate slung his way when he ratifies the quad Axel first. I wouldn't want to give them anything else to fuel the fire. They already accuse him of only doing the 4A to try and take attention from Hanyu.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I would re-think "something Japanese" if I was his team. Ilia is already going to get a lot of threats, abuse and hate slung his way when he ratifies the quad Axel first. I wouldn't want to give them anything else to fuel the fire. They already accuse him of only doing the 4A to try and take attention from Hanyu.

Agreed. He will get accused of cultural appropriation or “not being authentic” or trying to ripoff Hanyu.

Although secretly part of me hopes he chooses Heaven and Earth and opens with a clean quad axel just for the lolz of it all. :laugh:

DreamSkates

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Let “them” hate all they want. Hanyu didn’t land a clean one in a completion. (Yet) That is reality. Ilia Will have plants if applause from supporters including the ISU and USFSA.

DreamSkates

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Agreed. He will get accused of cultural appropriation or “not being authentic” or trying to ripoff Hanyu.

Although secretly part of me hopes he chooses Heaven and Earth and opens with a clean quad axel just for the lolz of it all. :laugh:
In that case someone make a list of every non-Japanese skater and their Asian themed programs and provide that to said haters. Might provide a long list of other skaters to criticize.
Hanyu has already had to step aside for Nathan Chen. Hanyu will always be remembered for what he accomplished and criticizing others only mars that picture.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I enjoy both Yuzuru and Ilia. So honestly it makes me sad that some people will rip into Ilia for getting the 4A (When he eventually lands it in an ISU competition).

I enjoy both too. Ripping Ilia for getting a 4A makes as much sense as ripping Jason for making the Olympic team.:scratch2:

There are nutcase fans for every skater, sad but true. I believe that most fans operate in good faith. (And please, exporting Twitter wars about calling Interpol etc etc. won't convince me. Twitter isn't proof of anything, except that nutcases can sometimes find a home. :) )

I hope Ilia does what Ilia wants to do, and skates what he wants to skate to. And that ShaeLynn helps him with the interpretation of whatever that is.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think he would challenge Ilia, but he wouldn't give Ilia more than he could handle.

It's just an impression, and an intuitive one. But I have no say in what Ilia would choose.

That said, ShaeLynn does good work, and since Ilia knows he needs balance in his programs, I'm sure she will work toward that.

Yes. Balance! I'm all for it, and it would benefit Ilia. :) It's good to see that Raf speaks up about Shae-Lynne and his skaters' experiences with her. And I will never forget that it was Ashley Wagner who brought Shae-Lynne to the attention of that training group, and probably Raf. When Nathan first got programs with Shae-Lynne, he said in an interview that he'd watched how Shae-Lynne's programs brought out what was unique, expressive and dynamic in Ashley's skating ... and he wanted that for himself.

Last edited: