2023 World Figure Skating Championships Men's Short Program | Page 50 | Golden Skate

2023 World Figure Skating Championships Men's Short Program

lady_bee

Medalist
Hi, my 2nd day in Saitama is over. I am too tired to read all of your post which I missed during the competition.
Before I go to sleep, I just want to say that Keegan was enjoying every moment in this competition .
Even during 6min warming-up he was greeting audiences in every direction. I think he missed some points because he was so happy and excited and became little sloppy.
I wish I could tell him that he made us so happy and we will miss him so much.

16Olympics

On the Ice
Not a perfect skate for Shomajesty, but glad he was able to do as well as he did. He's a good free skate skater, so here's hoping his ankle can hold up for that. His planned layout showed 4T-2T for the short, so good for him...Heartbroken for Adam. I love his skating. I have him on the podium in my predictions. Hope he can have a redemption skate in the free.
I had Adam 3rd in the skate picks but I can never predict what will happen. Shoma looked like all was well. Did not notice the 2T in the combo. Somehow his StSeq was Level 3. Hmmmmmm....

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Finally saw some of the skates on replay and of course the results.

I could not be more pleased with this final flight of skaters:

the two givens, Shoma and Ilia, of course, but Kévin:hap10: Keegan:hap10: Jun:hap10:

and Jason. Making the final flight at Worlds his way, doing this season his way, and displaying that innate artistry that you can't teach. Enhance, mold, yes, but some people are born with it, and he is.

I'm a happy camper. :)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

the two givens, Shoma and Ilia, of course, but Kévin:hap10: Keegan:hap10: Jun:hap10:

and Jason. Making the final flight at Worlds his way, doing this season his way, and displaying that innate artistry that you can't teach. Enhance, mold, yes, but some people are born with it, and he is.

Good on Shomo despite the injury doing so well. Not perfect but enough with his pcs. Ilia did his job andhe is perfectly placed and poised. I don't feel much for his skating kind of like his mom (still stuck when I saw her Disney number). I always knew Cha was medal potential but admittedly it has taken so long. It was the last quadrennial that I though he would win a world medal. I just wish Keegan would getting the bronze especially after Max and Deanna getting fourth in pairs. Some quick comments. Adam was disappointing but i knew he was vulnerable. Not surprised about Conrad sadly. A bit surprised his pcs were so low but then again he is new to worlds. Canada gambled on him Jason Brown had beautiful skating as usual and is rewarded with good pcs. I personally think he should get more pts for pcs though the same can be said for Keegan - Keegan is at a disadvantage because he does not skate usually to classical pieces or flowy numbers. But his sk ating skills -edges are really wonderful. Jason is a wonderfully beautiful skater to watch and he has a bit of luck - somehow he always manages to get into the last group. some raw but determined skating from Grassl. Shomo's countrymen were a bit of a let down in their own country. Andrew T at least qualified for the freeskate. A lot of things can happen in the fs.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

and Jason. Making the final flight at Worlds his way, doing this season his way, and displaying that artistry that you can't teach. Enhance, mold, yes, but some people are born with it, and he is.

Jason shows what pcs can do. Beautiful skating. He does have a bit of a horseshoe up his butt. LOL Somehow he makes it without a quad to the freeskate.'s final group. Kind of like Katarina Witt when she came back. The woman somehow gets into the last group.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
So I got up at 3 am again, actually a little before 3 and I went to bed after midnight after Orzel's skate and woke up before Kevin - oh I'm going to be a mess this week! No alarm or anything - my internal mind wakes up and says "skating is on, wake up!" lol

So I noticed that Ilia is the only one who successfully landed two quads and two triples - great job! Of course I worry about his free now since his great freeskates this year happened after a poor short and his clean short at Nationals was followed by a messy free - hoping he learned from that experience and skates great Friday! Shoma is a wonder - some poor practices and acknowledged injury and somehow he delivers when he needs to - and I don't know how he lands some of his jumps. In the air I think "oh no" and he lands them like a cat! Cha, Messing, Kevin and Jason were all great! Tomono might have had my favorite short program - shame about the fall but his performance and quality of his other elements saved his score. Sadly, the same can't be said about Rizzo, Sota and Adam. :(

sworddance21

On the Ice
Jason shows what pcs can do. Beautiful skating. He does have a bit of a horseshoe up his butt. LOL Somehow he makes it without a quad to the freeskate.'s final group. Kind of like Katarina Witt when she came back. The woman somehow gets into the last group.
He gets into the final group because he gets the sixth or better score. GOE and level 4s on everything. He earns his place in the final flight.

Mauve

Rinkside
Country
France
Aww noooo! The dread +COMBO

Not sure if that expression was part of the choreo or his actual feelings right now!

Maybe both. He's an expressive skater!

Was it part of the choreography, or did Adam look like he was in tears and about to give up and walk off in the middle of the programme?

:ghug:

CaroLiza_fan

Probably both. In other competitions, he looks as if he dog died right before the step sequence.
It is part of his choreo, because his SP tells the story of a couple fighting and breaking up. Btw, if you don't already know, his FP is the reverse story (like a flashback to the time the couple met if I remember correctly) of the SP, hence the similar suit and choreo parts.
But I agree, given his dramatic performance, there's room for interrogation :biggrin:

Anyone else noticed the weird knocking sound on his 4T + the right lace coming off the boot to fly around ? I wonder if something happened with his boots and made him struggle so much technically. Both his jumps and steps were half what they are usually.
(sorry I'm asking again, I'm just really curious about it)

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
It is part of his choreo, because his SP tells the story of a couple fighting and breaking up. Btw, if you don't already know, his FP is the reverse story (like a flashback to the time the couple met if I remember correctly) of the SP, hence the similar suit and choreo parts.
But I agree, given his dramatic performance, there's room for interrogation :biggrin:

Anyone else noticed the weird knocking sound on his 4T + the right lace coming off the boot to fly around ? I wonder if something happened with his boots and made him struggle so much technically. Both his jumps and steps were half what they are usually.
(sorry I'm asking again, I'm just really curious about it)
That would make perfect sense and at least there'd be a reason though a sad one and bad bad timing. I thought he had an outside shot at a medal. And if boot issues, will be withdraw? I'm not a skater but I did run track and what is on your feet is what is in your results.

Mauve

Rinkside
Country
France
I thought he had an outside shot at a medal. And if boot issues, will be withdraw? I'm not a skater but I did run track and what is on your feet is what is in your results.
You and all of us French people hoped for a medal, now it's out of his reach.
If there indeed was a boot problem, which I'm not sure of, it seems fixable. Anyway he did not mention it in any interview, and he's not withdrawing either.

I think he struggled with the pressure of having a chance to medal + rumors about Shoma's ankle pushing him I guess. He seems a bit like Loena Hendrickx on this.
I really think his FP will be much better now that he is free of this pressure. Maybe a miracle will push him up to top 5?

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Skate Canada really needs to sit down with Keegan after the season because he is starting to get the scores that can lead to world and Olympic medals this is someone you want to keep around for a long as you can..Ask Keegan what it would take to for him not to retire after this season because they need him more than they know. Conrad did not even qualify for the free skate and that who Canada is planning to bank their hopes on. Really? Skate Canada he basically blew up in the long. Four Continents he was decent. Now he blew up in the short at worlds. Canada should figure out a way to do better! Keegan is a international treasure that I want keep active in the sport to the 2026 Winter Olympics let him retire after being one biggest stage possible as his send off.
Keegan is sure. Not only does he want to spend more time with family, he wants to be healthy to do that and he has already said in interviews that his body is feeling the pain (for want of a better word) during his training sessions.
I might add, he is more than happy to end his competitive career in Japan and I would personally be thrilled to see him with a worlds medal in his final year :giggle:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
He gets into the final group because he gets the sixth or better score. GOE and level 4s on everything. He earns his place in the final flight.
I just think sometimes he is over marked in certain areas and undermarked. If the others skated cleanly he wouldn't be there. I am just saying one day his luck might run out = ie Cha, Messing, Adam, Kevin, Grassl, Morisi, along with three Japanese men might beat him if they got their acts together. There is no doubt his skating is beautiful. And all are vulnerable he could win a medal or...he could struggle to be in the top ten . So far he has always ended up on top for what he can do. My dream is Jason gets a great skate and retires happily - say fifth. KEegan some how pulls a miracle and gets third. I am actually fine with switching Ilia with Jason lol. now we wait for the fs. This will give Shoma maybe more time to heal?

liv

Record Breaker
I thought Ilia's PCS were appropriate. Other than jumping (and his quads are not beautiful jumps, not effortless looking) his skating is average. Even the basic stroking across the ice looks scratchy. I hope he's working on this because he's young and these areas just need time to improve. The other guys all 'skate' better than he does at the moment. I want to like him more, but at this moment I cannot.

Glad to see Shoma deliver, and so happy that Keegan had that fab skate!!!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There are things about Ilia's skating that I like. He brings his personality to the ice, and he does know how to spin, so that's good. I think the edgework and moves in field will come. He reminds me some of a very young Nathan. He'll get there.

On another note, I think we are seeing the Jason (and Shoma) effect in Men's figure skating finally. More men are paying attention to both athleticism and artistry. The final group is all folks who do both (even Ilia).

The final group should be a lot of fun. There will be a diversity of styles and music and athletic abilities and artistic gifts. Something for everyone!

There's been some rumbling online among fans complaining about Ilia's PCS, not in relation to the top men, but in relation to others who had relatively unsuccessful outings. I can't say those complaints are entirely unjustified, but I think it was a case of holding others up, rather than holding Ilia down.

But among the contenders.... he's about right. I saw grit, a young man's determination not to mess this up, and big kudos to him for pulling it off. But I admit I was missing some of that youthful exuberance I've seen in other performances. I thought he looked just a little slower, and just a little careful. And that was obviously the correct approach. He was clean with a PB, in podium position and in striking range of the title.

I suspect his team, especially Raf, are just fine with the way that SP went.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Agreed, but I do like him. He’s actually my favorite Italian skater. He’s very awkward and lanky and he hasn’t figured out how to use his body yet. It’s unfortunate but he makes already bad choreography look ten times worse than it already is (i.e, his White Crow program) and decent choreography doesn’t look good with him doing it, either. His SP this season is an example. He’s clearly trying, though, and like you said, that’s part of the problem. I don’t who or what can help him with fluidity, though. Dance classes? Ballet training?
Like his skating a lot.. tell him to watch Isabeau for ballet and fluidity; they are both thin, angular and she seems to have come to terms with movement to the point where she infuses each move with joy. Perhaps he could pull back emotionally just a bit, just let it happen and fall in love with what he is doing. He’s on the right track. He is really a talent🌻

Vicky458

On the Ice
Jason shows what pcs can do. Beautiful skating. He does have a bit of a horseshoe up his butt. LOL Somehow he makes it without a quad to the freeskate.'s final group. Kind of like Katarina Witt when she came back. The woman somehow gets into the last group. Jason got only one 10 for presentation, there should have been all 10’s ! What more do the judges expect! There certainly isn’t any other man or woman that has Jason’ skating abilities!

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Couldn't stay up all night but just watched a few things on Peacock REPLAY (of all things). Thrilled to death for Jun. I love his programs this year, and the Michael Jackson suits him to a T. Fun to see the crowd get behind him. Kevin's joy is so infectious. Fun to see his reacion to his score. Just saw Jason's skate for the first time..I was speechless. How does one even begin to describe it?! Poetry in motion? Rembrandt on ice? I don't even know. It'll be a huge loss when he retires. It will be a long time before we see anyone who skates like him. His Rohene Ward choreo always fits him to a T.

Keegan -- I will miss you. Do you have to retire?!?! :console::pray::points::ghug:

Congratulations to all.