Quadgod Ilia Malinin wants to show more than jumps | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Quadgod Ilia Malinin wants to show more than jumps

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@karne :
I would re-think "something Japanese" if I was his team. Ilia is already going to get a lot of threats, abuse and hate slung his way when he ratifies the quad Axel first. I wouldn't want to give them anything else to fuel the fire. They already accuse him of only doing the 4A to try and take attention from Hanyu.

I'm with you on this; ; I had an uneasy feeling when I read what he's thinking for next year's programs. But on the other hand, so many Japanese fans are very welcoming to skaters from all corners of the earth. And Ilia's so outgoing, engaging and humble that he may well win over most open-minded fans of any nationality or persuasion.

Let “them” hate all they want. Hanyu didn’t land a clean one in a completion. (Yet) That is reality. Ilia Will have plants if applause from supporters including the ISU and USFSA.

arewhyaen

On the Ice
My biggest concern about going to Shae Lynn is potentially giving Ilia recycled or unused Nathan Chen programs. To be honest, both of Ilia's programs from last season felt like old-rehashes of Nathan programs. Frankly, I think the comparisons are inevitable - since both Ilia and Nathan are both American jumping prodigies being coached by Raf. But Ilia is good enough to forge his own identity and artistry. I hear Shae is good at adapting her choreography and music selection to each skater, so hopefully that happens here.

Jasira

Mishki and Queen Anna
Medalist
Country
Germany
I am really excited how Ilia will develope. Nathan never did it for me, so I´m curious how it will turn out with Raf´s next quad god. I must admit that I liked Ilia a lot at worlds even though he is still raw. I think Shae Lynn would be a gould fit for him.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just want to put the word in for Roman Skorniakov and Tatiana Malinina.

Ilia is not "Raf's skater". He has trained with Raf, maybe, at most, 20% of his time? (two months in summer and school holidays). He may indeed after graduation become a full time student with Raf. And listing Raf as a coach will never hurt Ilia in terms of politicking. ;)

But if the boy lands a 4A in competition, that's mom and dad. And Ilia himself. :)

Apple1078

Final Flight
His latest IG story is from Granite Club so maybe he's getting a new program from Lori Nichol?

ETA: Could also be David Wilson (Jeff Buttle is still in Japan).

Last edited:

Magill

Record Breaker
I'm with you on this; ; I had an uneasy feeling when I read what he's thinking for next year's programs. But on the other hand, so many Japanese fans are very welcoming to skaters from all corners of the earth. And Ilia's so outgoing, engaging and humble that he may well win over most open-minded fans of any nationality or persuasion.
Being neither American nor Japanese, I hope Ilia is smarter than that and will not do it. Not because HE would be hated for that but just because - taking all into consideration - it would be an extremely petty, bad taste thing to do.

Last edited:

Kris135

On the Ice
His latest IG story is from Granite Club so maybe he's getting a new program from Lori Nichol?

ETA: Could also be David Wilson (Jeff Buttle is still in Japan).
I hope it is Lori because she can do amazing work.
I really hope that is not David Wilson because I am just not a fan of his work. Mostly because of some of the long programs that did for Jason Brown. Many of them did not show his best qualities and I just think Ilia can do better.
But it may be that he going around and looking at different choreographers which is good because he getting a feel on who he would be most comfortable working with because he will be working a lot with them. I just hope the one he picks is willing to work with him over a longer time frame than just giving a program to do because he really needs more work on SS and this the best to do it.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope it is Lori because she can do amazing work.
I really hope that is not David Wilson because I am just not a fan of his work. Mostly because of some of the long programs that did for Jason Brown. Many of them did not show his best qualities and I just think Ilia can do better.
But it may be that he going around and looking at different choreographers which is good because he getting a feel on who he would be most comfortable working with because he will be working a lot with them. I just hope the one he picks is willing to work with him over a longer time frame than just giving a program to do because he really needs more work on SS and this the best to do it.

I understand what you are saying about David Wilson, I was not a fan of two of the three programs he did for Jason. I also completely agree that a program that works on skating skills (and continued performance improvement) would be preferable.

But I think Wilson could be good for Ilia in those areas. One of my favorite programs is Javi's Guys and Dolls. If Wilson could do for Ilia what he did for Javi, bringing out the playfulness while accommodating the jumps, that could really work.🤔

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
The only time I enjoy David Wilson's programs is when he choreographs for Jun. Jun looks amazing when he performs them but I've yet to work out whether it's Jun himself or David Wilson is just inspired when he choreographs for Jun.

It would be an interesting once off to see how Ilia performs but David Wilson is usually dull for everyone else so I don't expect anything different.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But I think Wilson could be good for Ilia in those areas. One of my favorite programs is Javi's Guys and Dolls. If Wilson could do for Ilia what he did for Javi, bringing out the playfulness while accommodating the jumps, that could really work.🤔
One of my all-time favorite programs. The 2016 WC rendition is in my Frequently Watched Pile, of course.

The relevance of this program to Ilia is pretty clear. The young man has the same charm and innocent swagger that Javi displayed in this program. If David Wilson creates something like this for Ilia, he's a genius. I don't have high expectations that he'll match that magic, but I suspect it would be a big step in the right direction.

Kris135

On the Ice
I don’t think anyone guessed this, this should be interesting. Canadian ice dancing for the win :)
Yes really interesting. I took a look on Wikipedia and it was interesting because he formerly skated for Soviet Union/Uzbekistan in the early-mid 1990's in ice dance, so I assume that is how Ilia parents know him. I have not seen his work so I anyone knows of a program he has done I would like to see it. I know his son is also an ice dancer for Canada

One last thing off topic. He getting taller he looks like he about 5'9 inches because he is basically the same height as his choreographer and he was 5'9 at least according to Wikipedia

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes really interesting. I took a look on Wikipedia and it was interesting because he formerly skated for Soviet Union/Uzbekistan in the early-mid 1990's in ice dance, so I assume that is how Ilia parents know him. I have not seen his work so I anyone knows of a program he has done I would like to see it. I know his son is also an ice dancer for Canada

One last thing off topic. He getting taller he looks like he about 5'9 inches because he is basically the same height as his choreographer and he was 5'9 at least according to Wikipedia

I believe that Juris R. is listed as one of the choreographers for Piper and Paul’s “Vincent” program. That certainly speaks well of him if he is (and I hope I am not just confusing coach with choreographer). I don’t know of anything else from him, other than Dmitre’s dad;)

gkelly

Record Breaker
Yes really interesting. I took a look on Wikipedia and it was interesting because he formerly skated for Soviet Union/Uzbekistan in the early-mid 1990's in ice dance, so I assume that is how Ilia parents know him. I have not seen his work so I anyone knows of a program he has done I would like to see it.

Skatie

On the Ice
I believe that Juris R. is listed as one of the choreographers for Piper and Paul’s “Vincent” program. That certainly speaks well of him if he is (and I hope I am not just confusing coach with choreographer). I don’t know of anything else from him, other than Dmitre’s dad;)
Juris and Carol Lane are the coaches and choreographers for Piper and Paul and have choreographed the vast majority of their programs. I think this will be good for him to incorporate dance quality choreo early in his career to help his reputation to exceed only jumps