Quick Olympic impressions 2022 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Quick Olympic impressions 2022

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I saw video of Mariah hugging Nathan Chen after his win the other night. She couldn't stop! She was also massaging his shoulders. It looks like she has a crush on him. :love:

Mariah and Nathan are old friends and training mates who lived in a bubble with Michal Brezina and his wife for safe training. If hugging were an indication of a crush, Jason would be crushing on everyone in the skating world:laugh:

When skaters publicly disclose relationships, we can talk about them on Goldenskate. Otherwise, not so much.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
You are not the only one.
No disrespect to any host country ever, but the last three Winter OGs have been heavily overshadowed by political issues (Russia vs Ukraine in 2014, South Korea vs North Korea in 2018, China vs the USA in 2022). The next OG sans politics on a neutral ground feels like a really long-awaited change.
Based on the Russia/Ukraine news I've been reading, 2022 could be a repeat of 2014. Worst kind of encore imaginable!

mrrice

Record Breaker
:ot: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/wi...ure-skaters/ar-AATIHxX?ocid=msedgntp#comments Well, I'm going to answer this question the best way I can. In my case, It was not just about the expense, it also had to do with the lack of a paycheck until you become a champion. That takes years of time and sacrifice. If you want to play tennis, at least in Santa Barbara where I grew up, you could do it for free. I was bad at Football but, they had YFL that was cheap and there was a team, or two, in every neighborhood around the city. Soccer and Baseball were available for free at every school in the district. Unfortunately, Figure skating was expensive even at the beginning level and that was a deterring factor for my parents and many others.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Politics isn't quite the subject of this forum, so I will only say: I'm truly relieved that this is not happening during Olympic Games, at least up to this point :pray:
Amen to that...let there be peace on earth!

Also, apologies if my post sounded political. It wasn't intended that way -- more an expression of sadness than anything else.

Last edited:

wakuwaku

On the Ice
Country
Latvia
Impressions? Disgusting. And the most terrible consequence is that careers and reputation of strongest and the most talented skaters among women are ruined forever. From now on any win or performance from any Eteri skaters (be it Valieva,Trusova, Shscherbakova or anyone else) will always be tarnished and devalued by media and comments of their detractors under each video with their skating - with suspicions of possible doping. And people won't realize and won't care that what they do is first of all result of insane amount of work which other skaters are just not willing to do. For them any drugs (legal or illegal) will always be "magic tablet" giving easy win for free - and certainly not a way to allow body endure that amount of work.
That, and festive atmosphere OG is known for is killed. I don't care how this games will end now, tbh. With any results and outcome of women tournament - it's just not possible to be satisfied with it - because either medals will be only temporary and thus mean nothing or they will be defective without presence of the strongest skater.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Impressions? Disgusting. And the most terrible consequence is that careers and reputation of strongest and the most talented skaters among women are ruined forever. From now on any win or performance from any Eteri skaters (be it Valieva,Trusova, Shscherbakova or anyone else) will always be tarnished and devalued by media and comments of their detractors under each video with their skating - with suspicions of possible doping. And people won't realize and won't care that what they do is first of all result of insane amount of work which other skaters are just not willing to do. For them any drugs (legal or illegal) will always be "magic tablet" giving easy win for free - and certainly not a way to allow body endure that amount of work.
That, and festive atmosphere OG is known for is killed. I don't care how this games will end now, tbh. With any results and outcome of women tournament - it's just not possible to be satisfied with it - because either medals will be only temporary and thus mean nothing or they will be defective without presence of the strongest skater.
This is a fairly legitimate quick impression which will fade by time. I mean it. This is the third time I am in this forum during OG and I can tell you that Eteri's skaters have been tarnished and devalued every Games (for different reasons though) - and then the next season everybody is cool and life goes on. These controversies are not as deadly as it seems.

rinkside_user

On the Ice
It's probably just me but all the drama that has been going on outside the rink (controversy, COVID, global politics etc.) makes it really hard to focus on and enjoy the skates, compared to 2018. I'm just nowhere near as invested, even though I have plenty of competitors to cheer for. It just feels very off and small and fragile. Still, I'm rooting for my favs and weeping for the ones who didn't deliver.

Last edited:

Joekaz

On the Ice
This is a fairly legitimate quick impression which will fade by time. I mean it. This is the third time I am in this forum during OG and I can tell you that Eteri's skaters have been tarnished and devalued every Games (for different reasons though) - and then the next season everybody is cool and life goes on. These controversies are not as deadly as it seems.
I guess that is the benefit of a sport that is totally corrupt and fake in many ways. But as with pro wrestling, the fans realize it, but still enjoy it.

Mafke

Medalist
My impression on the Olys as a whole (I have not sought out a single moment to watch)..... what an effin' disaster (starting with the choice of hosting country and moving on from there....)

My thoughts on FS at the olys (which, again, I have not seen)... what an effin' disaster. Biggest scandal since... twenty years ago! which happened.... at a different olympics!

Why do the olympics even exist any more? What actual purpose do they serve now?

Wafflecakes

On the Ice
I think it has been pretty fun thus far. More drama than usual, some good, some bad.... but I think it was drama that was always going to happen at some point.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The doping issues aside which I think in the end we have a 15 year old victim whose life could be ruined not th fault of her own. But we had the team event which was good to see Japan other than the normal teams. We saw Madeline Schizas show up as a the surprise sensation for Canada. Nathan got his gold and while the jumps were amazing the program was pleasant but no masterpiece. But that's okay a well deserved gold for Nathan. And while Yuzuru didn't win his legacy was long ago secured (and to be honest one had to wonder how well he would do having an injury plagued season and not skating much) A nice treat was the beautiful but quadless skate of Brown and while Covid took out Vinnie it is nice he will get to skate the exhibition (note however, especially if Canada gets a team bronze then I hope Keegan Messing will be asked to skate the exhibition - hard to believe Roman and his dreadful skates (skates - though I understand he stepped in for Messing and he kept Canada in the race may garner a bronze. The poor guy missed his medal chance because of the Covid nightmare and thn had to travel the entire world due to flight schedule. It is sad this doping situation and honeslty no event with the amazing programme ( someone may skate clean but no one seems to have THE progamme of complete magic in any of the events. The dance is close but the French look so much better than the rest. We saw some hint of the pairs in the team event. Russia and China is the battle. And the ladies - no matter what happens to Valieva there will be a real or real in mind asterik.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Every Winter Olympics, I become entralled with sports that I never watch any other time, and I always wonder why.

Short track is manic, the snowboarders are thrilling, ski jumping looks fun, biathlon is just interesting.

I don't know why I don't watch these sports very often. Of course, US coverage is limited, but with the internet, I could watch these all the time with just a little bit of effort.
Short track is awesome. If you subscribe to Peacock you get all these sports. We used to have to pay additional for each to NBC Sports Gold.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree. And I know some p eople are tired of him and his baby son photo This will give somthing lse to talk about. The American who skates for Canada. THough personally I like his skating. I do wonder if he didn't train as hard ie quad lutz because of family commitments. What a triumph he showed up to practice with skates at least too.
He's not an American who skates for Canada. He's Canadian through and through. Who is the guy who always packs the GIGANTIC Canadian flag and goes to as many sporting events as possible, not even just figure skating, and waves the heck out of it? Who hopes their baby will be born on Canada Day? I'm American by chance of birth. Keegan chose to be Canadian. He probably even drinks that horrible milk from bags and eats ketchup flavored Doritos for Goddess sake. I just tweeted the Canadian Olympic Foundation (hope those are the right folks to tweet, if not let me know) suggesting Keegan be named flag bearer for the Closing Ceremony. If people are that sick of him and his adorable baby they can take a bathroom break, coffee break, whatever while he skates.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I am sad, so I am looking very hard for bright spots. Chen’s, Uno’s and Grassl’s performances, as well as S/K and S/D performances in dance. I also really liked C/Bs.

No, I am not going to condemn FS as sport. FS is still a huge sort of joy in my life—and other emotions. And I may not like some of those emotions, but I know in the end, they all come from a good place. Still, this had been the most awful season I sat through yet.

Flutzel

Rinkside
For women's skating? It hasn't even started and it's already promising to be the best circus on TV this year, so it's going great, really. (Through no fault of the minor involved, I want to add again, this one goes to the adults.)

Also, I don't usually watch Ice Dance, but I might start now. I gave it a chance and it was actually really fun! I'm a bit afraid of Pair Skating. Somehow, seeing people being thrown across the ice always makes me more nervous than even watching singles skaters jump, haha. It's very exciting, though.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
especially if Canada gets a team bronze then I hope Keegan Messing will be asked to skate the exhibition - hard to believe Roman and his dreadful skates (skates - though I understand he stepped in for Messing and he kept Canada in the race may garner a bronze. The poor guy missed his medal chance because of the Covid nightmare and thn had to travel the entire world due to flight schedule.
Keegan has been practicing. Surely he's been invited to the gala?