Radionova: "I give myself a B- at Worlds" | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Radionova: "I give myself a B- at Worlds"

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Elena did very well this season in spite of her growth spurt and somewhat tacky programs. I have to admit I was underwhelmed seeing her skate in person at Worlds, though. Even though she was clean, she did not get a standing ovation like Anna and Evgenia.

I am interested to see how she matures into a grown up skater over the next few years.

megenta

Rinkside
She really should do something with the posture. Or maybe she can't without having to change everything else with her skating.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
IMO Radionova can be a Superstar, But whoever is packaging her at the moment is just shooting her in the leg.

I agree. I think about how much I disliked Julia's programs before 2013-14. They were filled with meaningless, gratuitous hyper-flexibility moves that added nothing to the music. Then in the Olympic year, her programs were much more refined and focused more on interpreting the music instead of just showing off how flexible she is. Elena also has the potential to make these improvements with the right programs.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I don't think her Titanic program was that bad and I actually find it very amusing how someone would skate a program that opens with a lyric of "you're the most amazingly, astoundingly, wonderful girl". LOL, that subliminal message to the judges. And then planning to end a beillmann spin right on the lyric of "I'll never let go Jack, I'll never let go." WHAT KIND OF GENIUS. :laugh:

The biggest problem with the program was the awkward section where "Jack, there's a boat Jack" comes into the soundtrack and then randomly transitions into the Celine Dion "Yooou'reeeeeeee Heeeereeeee" power ballad section. Just not a good idea and the choreography didn't do anything with it either. If that misplaced "Jack, there's a boat Jack" lyric was cut out and then the program had planned a great spiral with a better musical transition into the Celion Dion section, then it would have worked.

I had no problems with her dress at Worlds either. The one at Europeans was the problematic though; too much fabric distracting from her line and the wrong color for the music.

anyanka

Record Breaker
She was honest and has the right perspective. Hopefully this drives her to improve her skating skills and control her upper body more. She's got talent but she needs better packaging and less frenetic energy when she performs. Her joy when she skates is however infectious and I smile when I watch her doing a clean skate. :)

anyanka

Record Breaker
So true. I really like her, I do not understand who approved her words long program dress, they must have been blind.

The flowing light blue with the pink highlights was more evocative and lent the program some romance. The worlds one is just too much like a costume from the back of wardrobe you rent out on Halloween if you wanted to dress up as "Little House on the Prairie".

Batsuchan

Medalist
So true. I really like her, I do not understand who approved her words long program dress, they must have been blind.

Here's the story behind Lena's Worlds dress (which I already posted in Lena's fan thread):

http://alenaakhmadullina.ru/news/n-8808

Translated by GoogleTranslate:
At the 2016 World Figure Skating Championships in Boston Russian figure skater Elena Radionova appeared in a dress created especially for the occasion by designer Alena Akhmadullina.
The initiator of the cooperation with the brand Alena Akhmadullina was one of the company's shareholders "Gazenergoservis" Anton Sikharulidze. Currently Anton is negotiating with Radionova sponsorship and assistance in her preparation for the next season and 2018, in which the Olympic Games will be held in South Korea. The work of Elena Radionova Anton Sikharulidze is advised designers at all stages of the suit.
"We have a long-standing friendship with Alena, and I know she is a creative person, interested in unusual projects, and she has once again proved that she could cope perfectly with the task. Many experts pointed out that the dress Elena Radionova wore at the World Figure Skating Championships was the most memorable of all the participants. We plan to continue the cooperation with Alena Akhmadullina to create costumes for Elena Radionova ", - says Anton Sikharulidze.
"In creating the costumes for the athletes there are nuances: it should be approached very athlete, music, combined with the program idea. It is also figure skating, there are many rules concerning costumes that must be followed. For me, this is not the first experience of working with athletes, but it is the first time I work with the world of figure skating. I am very pleased with the work of Elena Radionova's team and look forward to continued cooperation, "- says Alena Akhmadullina.

I LOOOOOVE Lena but I hated this dress. :disapp: But I guess if she got the dress as a gift (free of charge), she had to wear it? Lena did say she liked it though.

I hope that if she collaborates with this designer in the future, the results turn out MUCH better. :yes:

As for Lena's other costumes for her LP:
1) She outgrew the first one (the lavender one with the magenta sash), so it had to be replaced
2) The second one (the black lace one she wore at Euros) was a present from TAT. I *loved* this dress, but I think it was difficult to skate in. Because of the high waist, the skirt was very long and made of heavy material, so it created a lot of drag when Lena was spinning or jumping:
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos...g-the-ladies-free-skating-picture-id507417946

KatGrace1925

Medalist
Here's the story behind Lena's Worlds dress (which I already posted in Lena's fan thread):

http://alenaakhmadullina.ru/news/n-8808

Translated by GoogleTranslate:

I LOOOOOVE Lena but I hated this dress. :disapp: But I guess if she got the dress as a gift (free of charge), she had to wear it? Lena did say she liked it though.

I hope that if she collaborates with this designer in the future, the results turn out MUCH better. :yes:

As for Lena's other costumes for her LP:
1) She outgrew the first one (the lavender one with the magenta sash), so it had to be replaced
2) The second one (the black lace one she wore at Euros) was a present from TAT. I *loved* this dress, but I think it was difficult to skate in. Because of the high waist, the skirt was very long and made of heavy material, so it created a lot of drag when Lena was spinning or jumping:
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos...g-the-ladies-free-skating-picture-id507417946

I hope their future collaborations are not as atrocious as that dress was. I figured she might have grown out of the first one but I didn't watch Euros this year so I didn't know her dreas was different there. At least she liked it and it fit. I was shocked watching the broadcast when she came out in it, I had no idea why anyone would choose that for her.

TelmoFe

Rinkside
Hello everyone!

I loved Radionova last year, she was such as fresh air, but this season she got a little boring. When she was on, was spetacular, but at Worlds specialy the FP was slopy and I will not talk about the dress...

I hope she can find something (music, choreo, dress, etc) to realy suit her.

And she survived for two seasons... Let's see next year!

winky97

Medalist
I think either it became too small or she is superstitious finding her "lucky dress". For me the latter is the only explanation of horrendous Liza's dresses last season.

The first dress she used this season for the free she outgrew. She said that at GPF she could hardly breathe because the dress was too tight. The SP dress material was could stretch so she did not have the same problems with it.

moriel

Record Breaker
I know people will throw stones but...
I think the dress was ok (the color combination was pretty nice), except for the collar details. And maybe it didnt look so bad when seen from audience.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States

Yep. That was the whole concept idea behind the dress by that Russian fashion designer:

- those little decor pieces on a shoulders and colar symbolize rose/flower petals you can usually see on top of the cakes. http://www.make-fabulous-cakes.com/images/flower-cake-rose.jpg

- Her dress is the icing on the cake. Gradient color change from green to pinkish red symbolize rose/flower. So it's kinda flower-flavored icing. :)

- Lena is clearly the cake herself in this scenario. http://pixel.brit.co/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/ombre1-645x964.jpg

Here you have it. :D Cut yourself a piece and enjoy.

Last edited:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I liked the WC dress (the GP season dress still the best) but that gloves were horrible, and makes zero sense with the rest of the dress.

About her programs: pls Lena, go back to Ilya Averbukh!