Rafael Arutyunyan on Russian Doping | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Rafael Arutyunyan on Russian Doping

mrrice

Record Breaker
It seems Rafael suggested that the vasculitis was caused by PED use in the first place, not that she was cheating with the approved use of prednisone.

That's what I thought. I don't know but, I think it was the same way with Sergei. As a tennis fan, PED's scandals have been around for quite a while. Starting with Martina Navratilova and they continue to this day with Serena Williams, The recently busted Maria Sharapova, and one of my other favorite players, The recently retired 2008 OGM, Elena Dementieva from Russia . Have a look at these players. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIr_W1GdqSI

Last edited:

NaVi

Medalist
It seems Rafael suggested that the vasculitis was caused by PED use in the first place, not that she was cheating with the approved use of prednisone.

No, that's what TSL is saying with the whole enlarged heart thing not Rafael who is focused on her exemption to be able to skate while using prednisolone.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
That's what I thought. I don't know but, I think it was the same way with Sergei. As a tennis fan, PED's scandals have been around for quite a while. Starting with Martina Navratilova and they continue to this day with Serena Williams and one of my other favorite players, The recently retired 2008 OGM, Elena Dementieva. Have a look at these players. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIr_W1GdqSI

The article is a bit confusing because I think TSL believed he was talking about the prednisone use as cheating. As Mathman said, it is a shame to drag someone through the mud now when they have no way to clear their name. It is a pity for Russian athletes because now anytime one of them has a heart-related medical incident the first thing we think about is PED use.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
The article is a bit confusing because I think TSL believed he was talking about the prednisone use as cheating. As Mathman said, it is a shame to drag someone through the mud now when they have no way to clear their name. It is a pity for Russian athletes because now anytime one of them has a heart-related medical incident the first thing we think about is PED use.

It's like info war. Normal journalist checks up his facts before speaking. Just unprofessional on his part, but what to expect from a person, whose degree is hardly gotten at some journalist faculty.. Amateur mistake, as is his blog.

Last edited:

janav

On the Ice
Poor sport to suggest anything 10 years later. Speculate, to say more acute.

It's worth noting that urine samples are kept for longer period of time precisely because of the constant development in the area of clinical testing. Because testing is always one step behind doping. If I'm not mistaken, it's why every athlete gives two samples - one for the immidiate test and one for possible future testing.

Edit: I just noticed my post sounded like I'm disputing that the pure speculation about Irina isn't disrespectful. I meant nothing of that sort. Just throwing my two cents there on the debate about testing I guess.

Last edited:

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
It's worth noting that urine samples are kept for longer period of time precisely because of the constant development in the area of clinical testing. Because testing is always one step behind doping. If I'm not mistaken, it's why every athlete gives two samples - one for the immidiate test and one for possible future testing.

Edit: I just noticed my post sounded like I'm disputing that the pure speculation about Irina isn't disrespectful. I meant nothing of that sort. Just throwing my two cents there on the debate about testing I guess.

Thanks for clarifying your post. My point is that if you immediately, with all this hype about Russian sport, want to check all Russians - do it, but don't dare to throw a shade on a respected person. Speak AFTER checking, otherwise it's a dirty speculation.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Doping samples can be stored up to 10 years. But that doesn't mean that they have to be stored 10 years, I guess only the samples from the Olympics are stored that long. Normal samples have to be stored in the labs a couple of months only, but the WADA can request them to be stored longer or that they're moved to another lab.
But the purpose of the B sample isn't future testing as far as I know - it's for the defense of the athlete.
The A sample gets tested and retested until something is found - the athlete and the federation get informed that there's a positive finding and if (and only if) the athlete challenges the A sample test the B sample gets openend and tested.

bsfan

On the Ice

noskates

Record Breaker
Every year there are a number of athletes in different sports that drop dead without warning. Autopsies are performed and they discover that person had an enlarged heart. Almost 99% of the time the athlete AND his family had no knowledge whatsoever. To all outward appearances they were young, healthy and not beset with any kind of a condition. I really hate that people are speculating about one of the best pairs skaters EVER. I don't think we should be going on a witch hunt without proof or to start questioning every Russian skater who has been successful in the past. JMO

[B]It also turns out that Grinkov’s father, Mikhail Grinkov, died at age 52 after his fourth heart attack. But like Sergei, his father had none of the typical risk factors for CAD. These unusual facts caught the attention of Johns Hopkins cardiologist, Pascal Goldschmidt, MD, who was able to study a sample of Grinkov’s blood and find through DNA analysis that he carried a variant of a platelet antigen gene that we now know as PLA-2 or the Grinkov factor. That variant, present in about 20% of the general population, is now known to be associated with both heart attack and stroke at an earlier age than the general population.[/B]

A quote from this article:

http://www.athletesheart.org/2013/09/sergei-m-grinkov-figure-skater-1967-1995/

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Do any of you follow American Football? If so, you may remember the late Lyle Alzado. He admitted using steroids but not until his career was over. https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41MN7t+PteL.jpg

Lyle died at 43 years old from a rare form of Brain Cancer which he later admitted may have been caused by the massive amounts of steroids he took during a failed comeback late in his career. As I've mentioned before, in my case steroids made my heart race and really frightened me. It is believed that Lyle died from aneurysm caused by a blood flow problem directly linked to steroids. These drugs are so risky and the brief benefits do not, IMO, outweigh the risks.

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Every year there are a number of athletes in different sports that drop dead without warning. Autopsies are performed and they discover that person had an enlarged heart. Almost 99% of the time the athlete AND his family had no knowledge whatsoever. To all outward appearances they were young, healthy and not beset with any kind of a condition. I really hate that people are speculating about one of the best pairs skaters EVER. I don't think we should be going on a witch hunt without proof or to start questioning every Russian skater who has been successful in the past. JMO

[B]It also turns out that Grinkov’s father, Mikhail Grinkov, died at age 52 after his fourth heart attack. But like Sergei, his father had none of the typical risk factors for CAD. These unusual facts caught the attention of Johns Hopkins cardiologist, Pascal Goldschmidt, MD, who was able to study a sample of Grinkov’s blood and find through DNA analysis that he carried a variant of a platelet antigen gene that we now know as PLA-2 or the Grinkov factor. That variant, present in about 20% of the general population, is now known to be associated with both heart attack and stroke at an earlier age than the general population.[/B]

A quote from this article:

http://www.athletesheart.org/2013/09/sergei-m-grinkov-figure-skater-1967-1995/
So in Grinkov's case, it's something his father had suffered and in turn it's Grinkov who suffered.