Sasha Cohen Update | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sasha Cohen Update

S

SkateFan4Life

This thread is sounding like a medical journal. I certainly hope Sasha recovers quickly from the shingles and from the spider bite. I'm not bashing her in any way, but it seems to me that she spends a great deal of time on non-training activities - tours, photo shoots, vacations, etc. - all of which are worthy endeavors but do nothing to prepare her for the upcoming competitive season.
Sasha is not one to make excuses for her sometimes sloppy performances, but if she says anything about being tired and/or not having enough time to train, she really has nobody to blame but herself. Again, I'm not criticizing her. If I was 20 years old and had the opportunity to cash in on my fame, I probably would try to do so. On the other hand, I hope I would realize that my claim to fame is my ability to skate, and I would spend a proportionally larger amount of time training than doing the off-ice stuff. Just my opinion, of course. :)

bronxgirl

Medalist
Sasha has been touted as the "future" of US skating for the last 4 years. Kimmie Meisner and Katie Taylor can be called the future, but Sasha? Sounds like another reporter who doesn't know figure skating once again assigned to report on a figure skating event.

gezando

Final Flight
bronxgirl said:
Sasha has been touted as the "future" of US skating for the last 4 years. Kimmie Meisner and Katie Taylor can be called the future, but Sasha? Sounds like another reporter who doesn't know figure skating once again assigned to report on a figure skating event.

But I am very grateful to the writer for not writing "Sasha is trying to be the first female skater to land a quad in competition" ala the reporter of the Reading PA paper in Skate America 03. (That was one year after Ando made history)

R.D.

Record Breaker
bronxgirl said:

:laugh: I agree. I thought it was kind of odd to refer to her as the "future" of skating. More like the present, or even the past.

One thing's for sure, and that is that the pressure will be all on her for the Olympics. Can she handle it, or will she crumble under it? I think another teenager is going to break through and win this one.

jesslily

Final Flight
Kimmie Meissener and Katy Tailor have fininshed top two at Novice and Junior levels back to back, and both of them got titles at last year Jr. world. Frankly speaking Kimmie is far more advanced than Katy. Kimmie is competing at Sr. level this year and she may get a medal at nationals. I don't know Katy's plan for this year, is she doing Senior or Junior?

cianni

On the Ice
Sasha

I feel bad for her. All the hype and pressure it generates. SA is hers because she has no compitition and when she wins the hype goes unchecked. When she skates with the big guns she falters. Worlds was hers. No comp in the qr so that was a gift, all the elite skaters were in the other group.The SP was hers and then same old same old. It would be nice if we could just see the skaters do the comps before crowning the winner. I want to see her skate a clean program when confronted with the elite skaters. She will face Michelle, Irina, Arakawa and all the other top skaters. This is going to be a great yr.

Red Dog said:
:laugh: I agree. I thought it was kind of odd to refer to her as the "future" of skating. More like the present, or even the past.

One thing's for sure, and that is that the pressure will be all on her for the Olympics. Can she handle it, or will she crumble under it? I think another teenager is going to break through and win this one.

Teenagers have less fear and some have no fear. Kimmie has no fear. Last Olys went to a teenager with nothing to lose. Let's see who holds up. No predictions by me.

Joe

lavender

Record Breaker
The spin they put on these things.

The Nutcracker that she skated at Campbells was more complex?? I must have missed that. Well I can't wait to see if she is successful adding those complex entrances into her jumps. So far I can see Sasha skating successfully when the program is empty.