Votes: 23 13.6%
  • Don't really like it that much

Votes: 25 14.8%
  • Hate it, wish she'd never do it

Votes: 49 29.0%

• Total voters

icenut84

Final Flight
This is a spin that seems to get a lot of different opinions. What do you think of it? Personally, I've always thought it's very very effective when performed in the right place, such as at the end of Malaguena. The first time I saw her do it, I just thought "wow" - you need such good flexibility, strength and balance to perform something like that. Although when it doesn't really fit the music/theme (like in Romeo & Juliet), maybe I'd prefer it if she didn't do it. But in the right place, IMO this spin can look incredible.

Here's a picture of her, mid-spin.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2002/20021103/sp.jpg

Last edited:

euterpe

Medalist
I think it's just plain ugly, and it borders on the vulgar. I dislike all moves that display the crotch. They might be tolerable if the skater is wearing pants, but Sasha has said she's sticking with dresses.

Also, Sasha arches her back forward when she does this move, and that doesn't look good, either.

Chrystia Mee

Rinkside
icenut84 said:
This is a spin that seems to get a lot of different opinions. What do you think of it? Personally, I've always thought it's very very effective when performed in the right place, such as at the end of Malaguena. The first time I saw her do it, I just thought "wow" - you need such good flexibility, strength and balance to perform something like that. Although when it doesn't really fit the music/theme (like in Romeo & Juliet), maybe I'd prefer it if she didn't do it. But in the right place, IMO this spin can look incredible.

Here's a picture of her, mid-spin.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2002/20021103/sp.jpg

It worked in Malaguena, but overall I don't find it impressive at all. I don't think it looks good for the most part. Sasha should use a biellman spin to demonstrate her flexibility rather than the I spin imo.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
I voted for "amazing" because I didn't have an option between "amazing" and "it's ok".

I like the spin and I don't see anything wrong with it. I also don't see what is the sexual connotation behind it that so many people seem to find. Maybe they aren't used to go watch ballet or any other form of dance art.

patsue1947

Rinkside
To me, along with a very poorly performed biellmann, it is one of the ugliest moves in figure skating--I don't care who does it.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
For this spin to work, she's got to lose the grimace as she gets into position, and the bent back needs to go. I realize it's an incredibly difficult spin to do, and it's probably even more difficult to do with a straight back, but it would look so much better.

I don't care so much about her crotch showing, I just think overall, it's hideous.

Laura :)

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I think this is a move that looks worse on TV than life. The line she creates is nice; but when they show it on TV, with the close-up of the face -- I don't like it at all.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
I don't know. She did the move right in front of me at Skate America, and I still hated it.

Laura

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It isn't that the move has a 'sexual connotation' it just looks tacky. Sarah Hughes had a similar move, only out to the side and I didn't like that, either.

And I agree about the bent back--it definitely takes away from the impact of the flexibility she's trying to display.

KatyaFan

Rinkside
to me its so amazing to see her flexibility. its hard to keep balance spinning while changing positions. i do agree that she needs to change her facial expression to something a lil less harsh. i cant spin with my leg as high as hers, so imo its amazing!

Last edited:

astarz41

Rinkside
I do like it but it's getting old since Sasha uses it in *every program* right at the end. It's perfect for Malaguena but R&J? I hope Sasha will bring back the half bielmann, it was a nice change.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
astarz41 said:
I do like it but it's getting old since Sasha uses it in *every program* right at the end. It's perfect for Malaguena but R&J? I hope Sasha will bring back the half bielmann, it was a nice change.

I like the I spin. What is a half Bielmann?

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
It's amazing! You can hear audiences gasp when she does it. She's not doing any more crotch showing than someone doing a "Y" spin or a really good spiral.

Just curious whether anyone who does not like it doesn't care for Sasha in general or whether any of those people are real fans but just do not care for the spin. :D

patsue1947

Rinkside
I've been a fan of figure skating since the mid 50's. I've had/have my favorites but have always appreciated the time and effort ALL of these athletes devote to their sport. I am one of those people who intensely dislike the I-spin. And while I don't care for Sasha's skating in general I also don't care for anyone doing this move. The reasons being 1. It is awkward looking--no style or grace associated with it. 2. It always look painful. 3. It is done to show flexibility and in my book flexibility does not equal technique and 4. This spin appears a little more vulgar in that it's just in your face. Other moves and spins (the Y-spin, the Charlotte, spirals,etc) certainly could be considered "crotch-shots" but are not easily focused on because the skater is usually doing them in connection with other moves and in connection with their music. I'm sure it's a definite wow MOVE for a lot of people but not me. I'd much rather say wow for the total PROGRAM, not individual moves that seemingly have no connection with each other.

soogar

Record Breaker
I don't get why people refer to that spin as vulgar. Rhythmic gymnasts show waaay more crotch than that (as they split their legs over 180 degrees and fold in half) and artistic gymnastics (the ones Americans are more familiar with) do the same moves in leotards with BARE legs. Sasha is wearing tights underneath her dress and it's the nature of the sport that the dress is going to fly up. I can see people saying that they don't like the spin b/c it's overused but not b/c it's vulgar.

As for me, the spin is great b/c it really showcases her balance and flexibility. As for the grimace: you try getting your leg up that high and spinning fast. That move requires lots of STRENGTH. It't no different from the exertion of a weightlifter and they grimace all the time.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The difference is in rhythmic gymnastics the split is over quickly, whereas Sasha HOLDS that position in the spin for a relatively long period.

Sorry, I think it is ugly and tasteless. There are lots of other spins and moves Sasha does that are far better because her back isn't bent over and her face isn't as distorted.

icenut84

Final Flight
soogar said:
As for the grimace: you try getting your leg up that high and spinning fast. That move requires lots of STRENGTH. It't no different from the exertion of a weightlifter and they grimace all the time.

I agree. Almost every skater has a "spin face" - their expression during a spin is rarely a normal expression, because of the effort, control and concentration they're having to have, not to mention the forces involved. It's the same with "jump faces". And in a spin like this, do people really expect *anyone* to do it and at the same time concentrate on having a relaxed smile on their face? Ain't gonna happen.

P.S. One of the more "wow" elements to this spin, for me, is the way she speeds it up as she pulls her leg in, similar to a scratch spin.

Lucy25

Final Flight
Gotta say I really hate this move. What makes it worse for me is the fact that it doesn't seem to go with the music/program she is doing. I see her doing beautiful programs and then end with this move. To me, if you have to do this, do it in a high paced, rock-n-roll type of program full of tricks (kind of like a Brasseur and Isler kind of program - no idea how to spell those names!)

I have seen a female skater do this move where she holds the leg to the side of her body using only one hand instead of the front. She brings it up in such a smooth motion. Who was it? Bebe Liang? Anyway, this is a much better way of doing it.

The fact that the I spin is difficult and requires a lot of flexibility earns no points from me. It doesn't change the fact that it is not attractive.

Last edited: