Skaters who have done well only at senior level without success at juniors? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Skaters who have done well only at senior level without success at juniors?

icybear

Medalist
I'd say Rika Kihira. She hasn't won a medal at a big event, but she was the top senior in 2018-19 leading up to Worlds while just 8th at Junior Worlds the previous year.
I wouldnt say she had no success at juniors. She had multiple jgp medals and she was already someone with spotlight on her before she entered seniors for landing 3a.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I'm starting to think that champions can't come out of nowhere. Everyone medaled at least at junior nats. Though there are some who skate in juniors till the "old age" of 17/18yo.

I was reading the list of Japanese junior nats medalists and i saw Lucinda Ruh in it! Lucinda Ruh, a swiss, won bronze at 1994-95 Japanese junior nats :laugh:
Can non-japanese single skaters (i guess it's different for pairs and ice dance) still compete at nats?

Lucinda's family moved to Japan when she was a toddler. She lived there until her late teens. And that's where she started skating.

I suppose Lucinda was eligible for Junior Nationals due to being a long term resident. No doubt the dual nationality laws in Japan (where you have to choose one nationality when you reach 21) mean that the rules of the Japanese Championships are written in such a way to not make it difficult for residents under 21 that are nationals of other countries.

CaroLiza_fan

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Now when I checked Rink results and even Oona Ounasvuori has not "big" international success, I would call her late bloomer. She has reached 160 points this season while 2019 her best scores were 137,18, her best result in junior nationals is 10th. So she improves it is possible to develop as a skater at the age of 20. She was 4th at nationals this season, but had 2nd best FS. In seniors her best result has been 6th before this season.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Misha Ge.
I still remember his first competition at Asian Games and it was like: who's that boy?
Aside the bronze medal (actually a star) he won at GP France in his last season, he didn't really win anything else. Unless we take into account CS and senior Bs.

Amei

Record Breaker
Interestingly - Kyoko Ina had no Junior career (at least with competitions) as a pairs skater, she competed as a singles skater as a junior. She won Japanese Junior nationals in the 86-87 season, then she started competing exclusively for the US, won Jr nationals as a singles skater in 88-89 season went through singles skating with minimal results, and then in 91-92 started competing with Jason Dungjen before partnering later with John Zimmerman - she had decent success with both skaters.