Skating Pet Peeves & Moves You Dislike | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Skating Pet Peeves & Moves You Dislike

Amer

Final Flight
Country
Italy
A spin and a poorly extended Y/I spin... the A spin doesn't look good on anyone... and if you aren't flexible, don't force it.

For me the 'A' spin looks good on men along with Nathalie Krieg and Loena Hendrickx ;)

noskates

Record Breaker
The biggest offender of the O mouth is Medvedeva! No disrespect meant but she looks like a baby bird waiting for a worm!

Just finished watching Pairs, Mens SP and ladied from 4 CCs and I do wish Charlie White would SHUT UP. At least his conversation and observations are much better than Ryan Bradley's and his voice is easier to listen to but PUHLEEEEZE don't talk through the entire program!

Amer

Final Flight
Country
Italy
Dislikes:
An 'A' spin with legs close together is horrendous (especially on very petite females) :noshake:
The 'tano arm position in jumps
The illusion spin (except for maybe on Sotnikova and Lucinda Ruh)
Most sit spins

To read this it sounds like I dislike spins in general which is completely not true.
I love spins but so many skaters do them poorly. Or, at least, I think so.

jeb

Rinkside
Cannot stand when skaters skate with their mouths open in the "O" position and it's deemed they're interpreting their music.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
I guess I have a lot of what has already been said

--Miming, contrived emoting

--Over Tano-ing. I say one Tano or Rippon per prgram

--Butt spins

--sit spins that don't get low enough

--ignoring crescendos in the music

--too many gumby moves

--tights over boot or half over boot

--tights/mesh that don't match skin color

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I have one - what I call the "dreaded hip drop" when a skater does a camel spin, then reaches back to get their blade, dropping their hip, then raises up their leg into a higher position.

In ballet we are taught that once your leg hits a position, you are not to drop it (if you can't hold it there, don't go up so high to begin with). So when I see this in skating, I go crazy! Most skaters do it, but there are a very few who don't (they must have been paying attention in ballet class!)

randomfan

Record Breaker
Like many others said, why why why hands are annoying!

Also, I’m not sure what exactly this move is called. It’s when the skater does something that looks like a flying camel entry but they don’t do the actual spin. You usually see these in step or choreo sequences. They just look so out of place.

https://youtu.be/_v3V_P4Om04 (4:34)

It’s not just Gracie. A lot of skaters do this, and I saw a lady at 4CC do it too, but I can’t remember who it was.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
I knew I was going to see the word "butt" repeatedly, on every page, before I clicked into this thread... :laugh:

Comparing this new discussion with the 2016 edition, the only key difference seems to be the appearance of the term "helicopter tano" :rofl:

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Fun topic!!

Most of my pet peeves have been mentioned already.
I have to mention over the boot tights again because they drive me crazy. :gaah:
The one that I didn't see mentioned is the dreaded blade grab (it has taken over every discipline). :roll5:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Jeffrey Buttle

I guess people are referring to him as one of the worst offenders of planned quad falls, which I also can't stand, but you reminded me of another huge pet peeve, skaters who never close their mouths. Needless to say, I was never a Jeff fan...

TCAngel18

Medalist
My pet peeve is poor stroking. One of my favorite skaters shows how it should be done along with some forgotten moves - note the skid spiral at 2:58 and the running sitspin, beautiful spread eagle. Uncle Dick approved!

Erik Larsen 1989 US Nationals https://youtu.be/4TFfhYYLIFs

Oh MY! This was wonderful! That skid spiral right into the triple toe, the Triple Loop/Triple Toe combo, and I do have to reiterate that RUNNING SITSPIN. A throwback to old show skating.

The shirt didn’t help his body line at all, but he was a terrific SKATER.

Kinga

Medalist
Why do dudes always run their hands thru their hair? Lolz.

Or touch/caress their faces:laugh: (Misha Ge, cough cough)
-Any triple-2T-2T combo
Yes, many of them are really bad, but when executed in the right way, they are beautiful. Double as impressive when a pair does it right

Costume change should be forbidden. I think the only one I can live with is Paul Poirier's. It is funny, synchronised with music, confidently performed and not awkward.

A positive trend when it comes to tights over the boots is that we see much less of them nowadays !

Has anyone mentioned egg laying position? ;)

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Oh, and I forgot about other pet-peeve I may hate the most: Uncalled wrong edges on jumps. Seems like the norm today and it makes my blood boil.

I remembered that after 4CC (don't ask me about Ladies free skate. Just don't. My meltdown in the chat was enough).

Also, step sequences of inferior quality of edges and turns who still get +2 or +3 GOE and even a level 4. Many skaters are guilty of that (again, remembered that one after 4CC...).

DexterK

On the Ice
One of my many pet peeves:

The ice dancers with overly choreographed pre-program movements. If the choreography has started, so should the clock.

GrandmaCC

On the Ice
I'm a real bird™ choreo. You get bonus points if your costume has feathers.

YES!!!!
Not only would I say this qualifies for a negative GOE for that particular program, but also a follow on deduction for all subsequent programs if said skater can’t be looked at without causing Burt & Ernie’s “Doing the Pigeon” to start playing in a viewer’s head.

meem

On the Ice
I forgot the one thing that really annoys me in the worst way: when ice dancers approach center ice while chatting with each other. I think V/M started this because I recall either a commentator or someone on one of these forums saying that they were showing how into each other they were, conveying the true "couple" that will be shown in their program. Thank goodness that fad is beginning to disappear.