Stars on Ice Canada 2023 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Stars on Ice Canada 2023

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason and his VLog for SOI Canada:

(Jason did this for SOI Japan as well. These VLogs are very general about all the skaters in SOI, and not Jason going "here I am doing this and here I am doing that". He seems to be the official SOI content provider. :biggrin:)

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Okay, this is even weirder. I linked from the ticket master from the main website. Now everything in the low sectors has okay pricing but is only available for seniors 65 and older and can't be selected. The on-ice seats are standard admission. I could let the system select the seats for me though... anyway, I will be able to see Loena and that's great. Unless they like, actually want you to be senior to let you in. It still says 65+ on the tickets

I think seats are available at 3 different prices: regular, senior (slight discount), and child(big discount, but only available on some seats). There is a filter, and I think you can uncheck senior and child to see regular prices/availability. I say "I think" because the ticketmaster site works very poorly on my chromebook.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yeah, this what gets promoted by Google. It was letting me select the seats unlike the ticketmaster, but wanted to charge crazy prices. Something isn't cosher.
You have to be really careful with google. Sites pay to get "top billing" from them. You have to be especially careful with hotels and airlines to find the "real" site and not some dodgy third-party seller. I have even been sent to the website of the wrong bank (I googled TD, and some other bank was the top hit!) Usually the sites that say "Ad" on google are not what I am looking for!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I guess Max and Deanna aren't popular enough to ask? I though they would be more popular than Madeline and probably Czisny? Kind of sad that Canada kindly asks Satoko, Jason and Alissa but I am not sure we would see Patrick or Elvis or Piper and Paul in the US.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I guess Max and Deanna aren't popular enough to ask? I though they would be more popular than Madeline and probably Czisny? Kind of sad that Canada kindly asks Satoko, Jason and Alissa but I am not sure we would see Patrick or Elvis or Piper and Paul in the US.
Piper and Paul are going to be at 2023 SOI US tour... Kurt Browning as well.

You can see all former SOI US skaters here https://www.starsonice.com/all-time-skaters

From 🇨🇦 Underhill/Martini, Orser, Pockar, Hough and Ladret, Beacom, Salé and Pelletier, Jeff Buttle, your fave Jen Robinson, Rochette,Dubreuil-Lauzon, Patrick Chan, Shawn Sawyer, Toller Cranston, and Wilson and McCall,

I'd say that from recent Canadian stars, they have missed out on Tessa and Scott and Weapo, as well as Osmond, Daleman, as well as Duhamel and Radford... but it may not be because they were not invited ;) It may be because these skaters were busy somewhere else.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

To be fair - even if sometimes I don't want to be to any TPTB - there could be quite a few reasons why people are or aren't in shows which fans never hear about. Someone was asked but for all sorts of reasons couldn't, or didn't want to, accept; someone is or isn't signed to the agency/sponsor putting up the money; someone else who is very close in style was asked first; different salaries affect the budget; there are behind the scenes shenanigans we will never know about...

Look at the foreign stars that were at the Japanese SOI, it's not at all easy to work out how it is decided (Piper and Paul were there :biggrin:).

SkatersWaltz

On the Ice
Just got back from SOI in Ottawa. It was around 3 hours. My seats were in the 200 level. I was going with non-skating people so they wanted to sit in the cheaper seats. For 2 tickets and parking it cost us $85 all in so that's very reasonable. Rink was far though.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just got back from SOI in Ottawa. It was around 3 hours. My seats were in the 200 level. I was going with non-skating people so they wanted to sit in the cheaper seats. For 2 tickets and parking it cost us $85 all in so that's very reasonable. Rink was far though.

if you have a chance,I would love to hear what you thought of the show, what were your favorite moments?

noskates

Record Breaker
Entertainment eclat! That pretty much sums it up. I have been a Kurt fan since the Calgary Olympics. He has always embodied the entertainment factor and always delivered. I wish I could have seen him "live" one more time but there is always YouTube. Good luck for your future Kurt and thanks for the memories.

Teenes

On the Ice
My very long review of the Toronto, Hamilton, and Kitchener shows:
The Kurt Files - Canadian Stars on Ice Review

Also, it's going to take me a very long time to actually process all the photos and get them on my website (have some other Kurt-related projects I'm juggling, and US shows to see and shoot), but I've been putting up a selection on my Instagram from the Kitchener show.

First act: https://www.instagram.com/p/CsHOQklPXgz/
First act part 2: https://www.instagram.com/p/CsHQVu2vUZe/
Kurt & Elvis "Raise a Little Hell": https://www.instagram.com/p/CsKGwnzPcR6/

There has been a ton of press and some very good interviews talking to Kurt about his final tour. I can post the links if people are actually interested (or just visit my site since I'm linking them all there: https://www.kurtfiles.com)

Teenes

On the Ice
Question, how long have the shows been going on for?
Are you asking how long the show runs for this year, or how long the tour has been happening?

This year's show runs maybe 2 hours 45 minutes long (I thought almost 3 but a lot of people are saying closer to 2.5).

The US tour has been going since 1986, while the Canadian tour has been going since 1991.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Are you asking how long the show runs for this year, or how long the tour has been happening?

This year's show runs maybe 2 hours 45 minutes long (I thought almost 3 but a lot of people are saying closer to 2.5).

The US tour has been going since 1986, while the Canadian tour has been going since 1991.
The show. Trying to figure out what time I might be back at my place by lol. Especially since I'm doing the M&G.

Teenes

On the Ice
The show. Trying to figure out what time I might be back at my place by lol. Especially since I'm doing the M&G.
Ah. I've heard the M&G can sometimes run 2 hours this year. From Jason's skater cam of their "longest day" in Saskatoon, that one seemed to last about 1.5 hours but obviously it depends where you are in the line for M&G! Also, his skater cam seems to indicate about a 2h45m runtime.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ah. I've heard the M&G can sometimes run 2 hours this year. From Jason's skater cam of their "longest day" in Saskatoon, that one seemed to last about 1.5 hours but obviously it depends where you are in the line for M&G! Also, his skater cam seems to indicate about a 2h45m runtime.
Ok, so I'll be trying to meet Ilia, Jason, and Piper and Paul min. Those are the only ones I'm thinking about talking to.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
It wasn't too bad. I really liked Loena and Patrick Chan was actually pretty watchable live. Choke and Bates seemed on as well. I hope they will have more active talent next year among the men singles. Kinda made me really miss actual programs with jumping passes and combos.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My very long review of the Toronto, Hamilton, and Kitchener shows:
The Kurt Files - Canadian Stars on Ice Review

Also, it's going to take me a very long time to actually process all the photos and get them on my website (have some other Kurt-related projects I'm juggling, and US shows to see and shoot), but I've been putting up a selection on my Instagram from the Kitchener show.

First act: https://www.instagram.com/p/CsHOQklPXgz/
First act part 2: https://www.instagram.com/p/CsHQVu2vUZe/
Kurt & Elvis "Raise a Little Hell": https://www.instagram.com/p/CsKGwnzPcR6/

There has been a ton of press and some very good interviews talking to Kurt about his final tour. I can post the links if people are actually interested (or just visit my site since I'm linking them all there: https://www.kurtfiles.com)

Thank you for this in depth review (and of course particularly in-depth on Kurt :) ) I enjoyed reading about all the skaters' programs and the show overall.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It wasn't too bad. I really liked Loena and Patrick Chan was actually pretty watchable live. Choke and Bates seemed on as well. I hope they will have more active talent next year among the men singles. Kinda made me really miss actual programs with jumping passes and combos.
Considering Patrick was off the ice for so long... and didn't even jump at all for a while... it's great that he even does a couple easy triples...

Kurt is leaving so you will get someone else... I bet Elvis may not be in there for so much longer either. You won't get much live talent for men unless one of our guys breaks through... Stars on ice only goes for the big names. It's just the nature of this show. The show you would like to have is called the Gala at Worlds... It will be in Montreal this coming March. See you there ;)