Sui and Han place their bets on "Turandot" | Golden Skate

Sui and Han place their bets on "Turandot"

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The choice of music is very cautious thing for every figure skater, and China's Wenjing Sui and Cong Han is no exception. The reigning world champions of pair skating feel they have chosen their winning Olympic winning program.

"If you want to choose Turandot as your long program, I will be very proud," Hongbo Zhao, the head coach of the Chinese figure skating team told Sui and Han during their summer camp 2017 in Canada.

More...

I was at the 2003 World Championships when Shen and Zhao won their second world title with this piece. What are your thoughts on Sui and Han's version by Lori Nichol?

GGFan

Record Breaker
Sui and Han are my favorite pair this quad so I have some mixed feelings:

1. I loved last season's programs!! They were perfection for me, so it was going to be hard to top those regardless. :dev2:

2. I don't love that it's something that S/Z did. I think S/H are unique and I do not think this program highlights that.

3. However, It's not the same choreographer or music cuts, so I do not see S/Z when I see them and I think the derivative angle has been overplayed.

4. The program is still better than just about all the others out there, so I give them props.

5. It could be magical at the Olympics, and ultimately that's what matters. :hap10:

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
While not the most original program that I would've liked for them, I don't mind Turandot. It's one of the few "warhorse" music that I enjoy. Besides the costumes, I do think it works as a S/H program rather than a direct copy from S/Z. A lot of people wanted them to repeat the Bridge Over Troubled Water FS, but I'm glad they didn't. I think that program was very specific to the 2016-2017 season and they in many ways have already crossed that "bridge." (The SP on the other hand I really adored).

I also have the belief that S/H could skate to anything these days and make it special so maybe that's why I don't mind as much :laugh: I'm hoping for the best at the Olympics!

I was at the 2003 World Championships when Shen and Zhao won their second world title with this piece.

One of the all-time great performances in skating history.

Still, you can't go wrong with Turandot. Sui and Han's program is fine. A solid performance will bring the house down.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It would be kinda crazy and very possible that the pairs and men's gold medallists both skate to Turandot.

In either case I wish they had skated their LPs from last year which were more original and not something the Olympics have already seen (I'll always associate Turandot with S/Z and Shizuka's Olympic gold). But still, it is a smart choice and can bring the house down if they skate it well.

Bcash

Final Flight
The change they should consider making is Sui's hair in this program. The tight bun doesn't look good on her and is such a meh look compared to the cool and charismatic free-flowing hair she sports in the SP.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
The change they should consider making is Sui's hair in this program. The tight bun doesn't look good on her and is such a meh look compared to the cool and charismatic free-flowing hair she sports in the SP.

Hm, not sure, but I recall Wenjing's hair in some kind of braided bun, not a sleek/tight one for Turandot FS this season and it was quite fitting in my opinion. It may he only a case of adding some volume and maybe a headpiece, some decorative, eye-catching accent to the hairdo (btw I really loved Satoko's FS hairstyle at NHK Trophy this season, voluminous, elegant and still fresh)

anyanka

Record Breaker
It's a gorgeous program, full of fire and power, technical difficulty, and fluid artistry. They're my pick for OGM this year (with apologies to Aljona and Bruno).

lavoix

Match Penalty
Their programs this season are boring and un-inspirational.

So I hope S/M win this. Given the drama of the pairs this Olympics, the least I can receive for my suffering heart is S/M coming out as winners.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
While not the most original program that I would've liked for them, I don't mind Turandot. It's one of the few "warhorse" music that I enjoy. Besides the costumes, I do think it works as a S/H program rather than a direct copy from S/Z. A lot of people wanted them to repeat the Bridge Over Troubled Water FS, but I'm glad they didn't. I think that program was very specific to the 2016-2017 season and they in many ways have already crossed that "bridge." (The SP on the other hand I really adored).

I also have the belief that S/H could skate to anything these days and make it special so maybe that's why I don't mind as much :laugh: I'm hoping for the best at the Olympics!

I didn't want them to repeat 2016-17 programs, because the programs already peaked at the right moment (super happy for their first World title, sorry Aliona but they deserved it) and as you said the FS reflected their specific situation. However as a greedy fan, I wanted more and something fresh from them, so their programs this season looking safe let me down a bit, but they sell them well in competition regardless because they are so good pair skaters.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love their Turandot. I am really looking forward to the pairs at the Olys and to see them in a battle royale with Savchenko and Massot. It's going to be amazing! :hap10:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Hm, not sure, but I recall Wenjing's hair in some kind of braided bun, not a sleek/tight one for Turandot FS this season and it was quite fitting in my opinion. It may he only a case of adding some volume and maybe a headpiece, some decorative, eye-catching accent to the hairdo (btw I really loved Satoko's FS hairstyle at NHK Trophy this season, voluminous, elegant and still fresh)
me too!!! it wasnt the same at later events :(

regaring Sui&Han, regardless of music (i dont mind the choices since they are good and their interpretation is awesome! ), i think their programs are great, esp TR wise look more complex and seemless, there are many moments that i love,

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
me too!!! it wasnt the same at later events :(

regaring Sui&Han, regardless of music (i dont mind the choices since they are good and their interpretation is awesome! ), i think their programs are great, esp TR wise look more complex and seemless, there are many moments that i love,

Maybe we will get va-va-voom effect again at Olympics? ;)

About Turandot choice - well, for me it is a similar situation like with 'Moulin Rouge' FD choices made by Tessa and Scott. I was not so keen on the sole idea/choice itself, but the effect put on ice, how the program grew in their bodies, expression and interpretation convinced me and proved that there is a way to do a theme/music done so many times already that feels different, personal, bold and with potential to create special moment for them specifically. In both examples - Turandot and 'Moulin Rouge' - what gets my respect is skaters' belief and conviction radiating from them while performing those programs, how engaged they are. Also what I appreciate is this feel I get watching Turandot FS about having that bold, big music and yet finding a way to highlight small details, musical accents and connection not only between music and them, but mostly between them; it shows how choreography is well put together to present skaters beautifully from every perspective and different angle: visual/movement-wise, but also emotion/expression-wise, in lyrical and dramatic aesthetic. While I agree that the choice is not original nor hip/fresh for them, I still see that the program does highlight variety of their skills perfectly, just in more subdued, matured way.

This is for me the program that is all about growth, evolution to get more than just beautiful visual - it is about this built to convince people not only by perfect skate, but making it special all around, without picking out the sole music choice.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
World-renowned Chinese film director Yimou Zhang (Raise the Red Lantern, Hero, and House of Flying Daggers), who used to direct the stage opera Turandot in 1998 and 2009, came to watch Sui and Han's practice, and share his opinion with the skaters from a performance aspect.

"I don't know much about figure skating technically, but it has something in common with film. It is a display of beauty. I will try my best to help them."

Last edited:

QuadThrow

Medalist
They should skate to last years program.

Brigde over troubled water was something emotional and would place the bar incredible high. Turandot is definitly not bad but it feels that they try to enforce emotions way too hard.

Worst case scenario would be two Olympic Golds with Turandot.

bobbob

Medalist
The real thing I want to know is if they are attempting a quad. I know what their programs are, a quad could be the deciding factor.