The brilliance of Michelle Kwan | Page 4 | Golden Skate

The brilliance of Michelle Kwan

R.D.

Record Breaker
SusanBeth said:
First, let me thank you for fixing my account. It's nice to be me again!:)

I don't think I've missed the point. I am just saying that it's subjective and not fact. I do understand that some people are moved. I am just saying some aren't and both points of view are valid. It's not about facts, it's personal. Therefore, it's subjective. Yet, the statements are made as though they are absolute and undenieable. It's hard to resist the temptation to present another perspective. Although it's probably not appropriate to introduce another or any perspective into a gush thread. So, I will resist discussing alternate views of Kwan's skating here.

ITA...only you put it much better than I did.

Plus, if this forum is to be fair and balanced, like a general forum SHOULD be, hey, got to inject a little of the "opposing" viewpoint, right? ;)

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Red Dog said:
Now this thread is titled "The brilliance of Paula." :laugh: :chorus:
Of course, that would be absolute and undenieable! :p

I apologize for going off topic! :yes:

graceness

Rinkside
Red Dog said:
You know, I'm very out there. If I had a favorite, I would have told you.

I'm a true nonfan but I'll admit to periodically having "sways"- i.e. sometimes I'll pay more attention to one skater than another. But I still am not a fan of any skater in particular.

This is how I really feel. No BSing here at all.

Aww, Red Dog, then why the posting of so many photos of the lovely Miss Sasha if she's not a favorite of yours??

C'mon . . . tell the truth. :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
You know, at the same time you're writing this, at Sashafans I'm being told I'm wishing injury on her. So I don't think you quite get the situation.

R.D.

Record Breaker
it wasn't just Sasha, mind you, it was ALL THE OLYMPIC FIGURE SKATERS I had pictures of. I even posted some of your beloved Michelle. Funny how people have selective memory...they only remember the photos of SASHA that I post and forget all the others. How convenient...a way to frame me as a fan of hers. While others are cutting me down for being her biggest detractor. Pick one, please, and stick with it.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
It's definitely Sasha and that is perfectly all right with everyone on the Forum.

So be it. There it is. But my posts on her fan forum certainly wouldn't support that statement...I say basically the same stuff there that I do here. (sorry once again for board-dragging but it's necessary in this case to prove my point.)

If you were to meet me in person, all bets would immediately be off, BTW. The truth would come out for SURE...and you'd see that I was right all along. :yes:

eta: Let me ask y'all something. If I liked Kwan- if she was my favorite...would you all STILL be speculating that Cohen is my "favorite"? Just want to check. There's still the stereotype going around that anyone who doesn't like Kwan automatically likes Sasha.

Last edited:
Not really getting worked up about. If Kwan or Browning are not in a competition, I have no problem watching all other skaters do their thing.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
You guys are so funny.... Let's just sum it up...

Kwan is the most successful US ladies figure skater of modern times as well as one of the most successful of all times, in terms of titles, endorsements, popularity, fans, etc. And many feel that she is the greatest of all time not because of her titles & professional accomplishments but because of her ability to translate her love of the sport to those in the audience. She's a star with great taste in shoes. And her fans love her.

However, regardless of her titles and success there are some who prefer other skaters and that's ok. Even if they're wrong. (sorry, I simply couldn't resist...)

But ~ Red Dog, don't fret, KwanNation loves you to pieces... :clap:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
no we're not. :p By the same token, from MY point of view you guys could be wrong for loving her so much :p

It is... but that's what makes life so wonderful ~ we can all be different & still appreicate each other's perspectives and opinions. And hey, its just figure skating, right? :laugh:

flowjo35

On the Ice
Kwanford Wife said:
It is... but that's what makes life so wonderful ~ we can all be different & still appreicate each other's perspectives and opinions. And hey, its just figure skating, right? :laugh:

ITA. I think all fans should be able to appreicate their favorite skaters. If someone does not agree with your favorite, so be it, but give people the right to gush if they want. As stated above, "its just figure skating".:)

76olympics

On the Ice
Again, I just gotta say when I see a thread entitled the "brilliance, magnificence, loveliness, greatness..pick your superlative adjective of X the skater , I know that I am looking at a fan thread full of gush. I don't have to open the thread in order to ascertain if a sober debate over the virtues or inadequacies of said skater is within. I already know that the fans are flocking there to concur with the greatness of X. It will be a futile mission to dive in there to show those fans the "light" from my perspective--even if I wanted to.

I like Michelle! But,she is not my all-time favorite. But, I am perfectly content for fans to enjoy speaking to each other in a gush thread without my "intervention." I am not sure why non-fans or so-so fans want to come in here to spoil the party. The thread title gives you plenty of warning. The natives don't need a missionary!:rofl:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think it all started when I made a tongue in cheek comment about this should be at MKF. But the fans didn't perceive it that way (they thought I was dead pan straight-face serious) so all this began.

mzheng

Record Breaker
76olympics said:
Again, I just gotta say when I see a thread entitled the "brilliance, magnificence, loveliness, greatness..pick your superlative adjective of X the skater , I know that I am looking at a fan thread full of gush. I don't have to open the thread in order to ascertain if a sober debate over the virtues or inadequacies of said skater is within. I already know that the fans are flocking there to concur with the greatness of X. It will be a futile mission to dive in there to show those fans the "light" from my perspective--even if I wanted to.

I like Michelle! But,she is not my all-time favorite. But, I am perfectly content for fans to enjoy speaking to each other in a gush thread without my "intervention." I am not sure why non-fans or so-so fans want to come in here to spoil the party. The thread title gives you plenty of warning. The natives don't need a missionary!:rofl:
Very well said. And with a lot of common sense. :rock: :rock: