The Most Hyped Skater | Golden Skate

The Most Hyped Skater

Which Skater Gets the Most Hype (not from forums)?

• Kimmie Meissner

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • Sasha Cohen

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Michelle Kwan

Votes: 49 38.9%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.0%

• Total voters

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think "hype" should be defined...

do you mean "over the top" promotion... "she's the one to beat" even if she's really never proven herself? which could be Kimmie

do you mean "deserving hype" which is where Michelle Kwan fits under more so than Sasha or Kimmie?

what is our definition of hype and then I'll vote lol because all three get a lot of media attention these days

soogar

Record Breaker
Not in the US, but I would say Miki Ando is the most hyped skater. She has received a lot of push from the Japanese Fed and she's a media darling in Japan. She has lots of advertisements.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I agree that all three choices get a LOT of attention these days. It's difficult to pick one of them.

Also- hyped where? The press is one medium, the internet forums are another.

During the Olympics, Kwan easily gets all the attention.

During Nationals, I think it's a tie between Meissner and Cohen. Kwan doesn't need to be hyped as much here since it's the Kwan Love-Fest and people come to see HER. Meissner is hyped as "the next big one" and Cohen is hyped as "the one to beat Kwan" although she has never done so yet (At Nationals that is).

gezando

Final Flight
IMO, hype has to be assessed with the relative achievement. For example Tara was hyped, but she lived up to the hype. Kwan was hyped but for the most part she lived up to the hype. Relative to achievement, IMO Cohen is the most hyped

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Whom do you think it is? Not from forums but from legitimate newspapers, TV gossip, advertisements.

I dislike the term hyped - rather overexposed might be a better term.

Vash01

Medalist
I would not call Michelle Kwan a 'hyped' skater because she has earned all the attention she receives, by winning titles.

Sasha could have been a 'hyped' skater in the past but after winning two world silver medals I cannot call her 'hyped' either.

Perhaps our definitions are different. When you say 'hyped' I may be thinking 'overhyped' or 'unproven'.

Right now Kimmie is the only 'hyped' skater by my definition. I think Carolina Kostner and Miki Ando are somewhat hyped but nowhere close to Kimmie (at least in the US.

Vash

R.D.

Record Breaker
Vash01 said:
I would not call Michelle Kwan a 'hyped' skater because she has earned all the attention she receives, by winning titles.

Sasha could have been a 'hyped' skater in the past but after winning two world silver medals I cannot call her 'hyped' either.

Perhaps our definitions are different. When you say 'hyped' I may be thinking 'overhyped' or 'unproven'.

Right now Kimmie is the only 'hyped' skater by my definition. I think Carolina Kostner and Miki Ando are somewhat hyped but nowhere close to Kimmie (at least in the US.

Vash

I suppose definitions differ from person to person. In this context i equate "hype" to "attention". If we're talking unproven talent here, I wouls say Kimmie definitely is #1, distantly followed by Cohen. Although Cohen did win two world silver medals, it seems people expect her to win the big ones. Remember in 04 when despite her highest World finish everyone was saying she choked? (although you could make the argument that she did since she was in a position to win).

tdnuva

On the Ice
This MUST be a question for the American market. Not only cause the choices are exclusively American - mostly because in most other countries of the world there wouldn't be a hype about any SKATER :laugh:

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
I wouls say Kimmie definitely is #1, distantly followed by Cohen. Although Cohen did win two world silver medals, it seems people expect her to win the big ones. Remember in 04 when despite her highest World finish everyone was saying she choked? (although you could make the argument that she did since she was in a position to win).

Other way around IMHO. Sasha far and away gets the most hype relative to Kwan or Kimmie. Kimmie hasn't been around long enough yet, and Kwan has the multiple national and world titles (although no OGM) to back up her hype. Cohen came out guns blazing at 2000 Nationals. And the media machine AND Team Cohen went into overdrive. It was a foregone conclusion to Cohen (who had already booked tickets for Nice Worlds) that she would qualify
at the Junior Worlds. Oops - didn't even medal. Then there's the Cohen/Nicks hype machine circa 2002. It was so successful that one Florida reporter (I'll never forget this) called Cohen the "Quad Queen", ignoring the fact that Sasha had yet to, you know, land a quad. Let's see, the hype included her becoming the first woman to land quad, the one who would concentrate on other elements that her fellow competitors ignore, Nicks obsession with naming moves after Sasha (ignoring that the moves had long been invented before Sasha was even born), her comment that she was one jump away from winning the OGM in 2002, etc, etc.

Cohen is a victim of the American Media's relentless search for the next baby ballerina/gymnast/skater. But her own team has probably contributed to the hype just as much.

Relative to the hype she's recieved, I can understand why she is called a choker. Five years as a senior competitor. No National title. No world titles. Had she just been allowed to progress without the hype, most would consider her competitive record impressive.

tdnuva said:
This MUST be a question for the American market. Not only cause the choices are exclusively American - mostly because in most other countries of the world there wouldn't be a hype about any SKATER :laugh:

I've seen Worlds in Germany and in Russia. No hype? :rofl:

One thing about Michelle, she does not look for it.

Joe

Last edited:

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
tdnuva said:
You took the words right out of my mouth LOL

Here's a relevant definition, I think: "Excessive publicity and the ensuing commotion; exaggerated or extravagant claims made especially in advertising or promotional material"

O.J. Simpson, the Trial of the Century!!!!!!!!!

Hey, wait a minute...what was so great about the O. J. Simpson trial?

But Joe's specific question is not about skating forums, but mainstream news media, gossip columns and advertising. In that case I don't think any skater or skating event receives any hype at all. I have never seen Michelle Kwan on the front of the tabloids with banner headlines, Michelle Marries Man from Mars (as predicted by Nostradamus).

Mathman

Last edited:

tdnuva

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
I've seen Worlds in Germany and in Russia. No hype? :rofl:
No. No hype. Most of the people I know never even noticed that skating worlds were happening in Germany. Honestly.

Mathman said:
Here's a relevant definition, I think: "Excessive publicity and the ensuing commotion; exaggerated or extravagant claims made especially in advertising or promotional material"

O.J. Simpson, the Trial of the Century!!!!!!!!!

Hey, wait a minute...what was so great about the O. J. Simpson trial?

But Joe's specific question is not about skating forums, but mainstream news media, gossip columns and advertising. In that case I don't think any skater or skating event receives any hype at all. I have never seen Michelle Kwan on the front of the tabloids with banner headlines, Michelle Marries Man from Mars (as predicted by Nostradamus).

Mathman
As far as Kwan is concerned there is next to nothing about her. There is no journal, no Kwan run site; little news and no interviews except at competition time. Maybe Hertzberg will write a piece about her but his columns never say anything we didn't know.

At least Russian skaters are interviewed regularly. We've had several in this Forum.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Skate Sandee said:
Other way around IMHO. Sasha far and away gets the most hype relative to Kwan or Kimmie. Kimmie hasn't been around long enough yet, and Kwan has the multiple national and world titles (although no OGM) to back up her hype. Cohen came out guns blazing at 2000 Nationals. And the media machine AND Team Cohen went into overdrive. It was a foregone conclusion to Cohen (who had already booked tickets for Nice Worlds) that she would qualify
at the Junior Worlds. Oops - didn't even medal. Then there's the Cohen/Nicks hype machine circa 2002. It was so successful that one Florida reporter (I'll never forget this) called Cohen the "Quad Queen", ignoring the fact that Sasha had yet to, you know, land a quad. Let's see, the hype included her becoming the first woman to land quad, the one who would concentrate on other elements that her fellow competitors ignore, Nicks obsession with naming moves after Sasha (ignoring that the moves had long been invented before Sasha was even born), her comment that she was one jump away from winning the OGM in 2002, etc, etc.

Cohen is a victim of the American Media's relentless search for the next baby ballerina/gymnast/skater. But her own team has probably contributed to the hype just as much.

Relative to the hype she's recieved, I can understand why she is called a choker. Five years as a senior competitor. No National title. No world titles. Had she just been allowed to progress without the hype, most would consider her competitive record impressive.

I'm talking about the hype right NOW. Yes, Cohen was hyped a lot back in the day but it's died down somewhat (IMO). Now it's Kimmie's turn. And of course, the hoopla about Kwan. JMO.

BTW I agree with your last paragraph.