The Most Hyped Skater | Page 4 | Golden Skate

The Most Hyped Skater

Which Skater Gets the Most Hype (not from forums)?

• Kimmie Meissner

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • Sasha Cohen

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Michelle Kwan

Votes: 49 38.9%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.0%

• Total voters

R.D.

Record Breaker
Another thing. The prestige factor- even if you were to do this, do you realize how much this complicates things? Who's to determine exactly how prestigious one event is over the other? Just how much more prestigious is the Olympics over the Worlds? 1.5x? 2x? 4x? 10x? (See how subjective this gets?)

What about the Nationals? How much prestige do you assign to THOSE events? And will those numbers be different from mine or other posters'?

When you use raw numbers, there's no discrimination whatsoever. They speak for themselves. To add complications just throws in more subjectivity and bias.

I hope you see now how crazy this would get if you were to do all this. But I hardly see how we can say that Cohen "ate Sarah's dust". You might be able to say that about a skater in 20th place, that she "ate Sarah's dust". Why? Cause she was WAY behind! You make it seem as if Cohen did so poorly at all her events that she was last or near last in all of them. :eek:hwell:

I'm not surprised in the least.

This is my last post on this matter. I'm through discussing this topic.

gezando

Final Flight
Red Dog said:
I thought we were comparing Cohen and Hughes here. So that means Kwan has absolutely zippity squat to do with this.
Obviously the topic can be view in general, that will involve other skaters e.g. Kwan :)

just a hidden method to make Sarah look better than she really is?

Oh please, Sarah is the reigning OGM, for the rest of her life everytime she steps on the ice she will be introduced as an olys champ, there is no hidden method to make Sarah look better than she really is. OTOH, maybe you have a hidden method to make Cohen to look better than she really is by counting cheesefest. Then when I try to count cheesefest for Kwan, you got so :mad:

:)

you want, be as picky as you want, even add up points and 6.0 scores if you want to.
But I don't have to, I just need to go with your a win is a win, and since Sarah has overall more win, and winning in the most important event, Cohen is the one who ate Sarah dust.
I think your intention is just to get Sasha.
Since according to your way of calculating dust eating, Sarah is still ahead of Cohen, maybe you are just to get Sasha. Maybe you tried to get Sarah, but was unable to :biggrin:

Sasha never placed lower than 4th, and Sarah placed first only once- and that was at the Olympics.
Hello, how about nations cup 00 Cohen placed 5th, and Skate America 01 she placed 5th and jr world 00 she placed 6th

Another thing. The prestige factor- even if you were to do this, do you realize how much this complicates things?
Why shy away from complicated things??

Who's to determine exactly how prestigious one event is over the other? Just how much more prestigious is the Olympics over the Worlds? 1.5x? 2x? 4x? 10x? (See how subjective this gets?)

Does not matter what the factor is, Olys is more important than worlds, so it has to carry more weight period. Since Sarah beat Cohen in olys in the most important event, that equates to a huge heap of dust for Cohen.

What about the Nationals? How much prestige do you assign to THOSE events? And will those numbers be different from mine or other posters'?

No matter how we assign the importance to nationals, it is more difficult to see, it is much more important than a cheesefest. And at nationals, Cohen beat Hughes by one, we agree on that.

When you use raw numbers, there's no discrimination whatsoever. They speak for themselves. To add complications just throws in more subjectivity and bias.
Using raw numbers is discrimination, IMO, because you are ignoring the importance of the competition. Olys is an event that happens once every 4 years, and the best of the best from the world are competing in it. Even though I have some problem with raw numbers I don't mind too much to play along with raw numbers, but cheesefest shouldn't be added because of the exceeding bias way judges are marking cheesefest. BTW, even if we count cheesefest, Hughes is still ahead of Cohen.

I hope you see now how crazy this would get if you were to do all this.
JMO, using raw number is crazy. In the world of golf and tennis e.g. they do factor into the importance of the competition, so a winning a major is much more important than winning any other tournament. Do you seriously think e.g when Tiger won the British Open (an international major event, competitng against the best of the best) you can equate that to another golfer winning a mainly USA event, e.g. the Buik Open? I speculate not, but when it comes to skating you are so big on raw numbers, an attempt to make Cohen look better relative to Hughes.

But I hardly see how we can say that Cohen "ate Sarah's dust".
Your opinion is your opinion, if you want to say Sarah ate Cohen dust you are free to do so ;)

You might be able to say that about a skater in 20th place, that she "ate Sarah's dust". Why? Cause she was WAY behind!
Ah... all of a sudden placement is so important to you because in a cheesefest Cohen placed 3rd and Hughes 8th, IMO you have the method of making Cohen look much better. I'm not surprised in the least.

You make it seem as if Cohen did so poorly at all her events that she was last or near last in all of them.
Not at all, I am just saying after counting their entire competitive history head to head Cohen ate Hughes dust. If uber Cohen fans did not hype and trash talk at the beginning of every season when the 2 were competiting against each other, then this complicated calculation won't even come up.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'd just like to say that I believe it's veeeery interesting what part of my post you chose to quote (and respond to) and what you chose to ignore. :biggrin:

Red Dog said:
I'd just like to say that I believe it's veeeery interesting what part of my post you chose to quote (and respond to) and what you chose to ignore. :biggrin:
Not unlike how you tear apart other posts to your liking. Am I correct?

Joe

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I voted for Michelle, who else???

Dee

Skateforfun said:
surely it's Kwan!

Happy skating all:love:
We are in agreement that she is the most popular skater, but hype? Are you confusing the two or are you saying she is most hyped in GS?

Joe

Eeyora

Final Flight
How about Tonya Harding? she still manages to make her way into the news.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Eeyora said:
How about Tonya Harding? she still manages to make her way into the news.

Yes but no one has anything GOOD to say about her...:laugh: Plus there's nothing to HYPE about with her (perhaps maybe she's the next Muhammad Ali? :rofl: )

Not that they should, anyway.