Update on boots and Everglides for anybody interested. | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Update on boots and Everglides for anybody interested.

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Not sure the hockey shop would be a good idea, I at least wouldn't let them near my boots...
Maybe you could try gentle sport heating with a hairdryer?

If EissportWelt is closed (they close this early? I´m not in Munich right now, so I didn't realize), and you can't bear the pain, then I would suggest Skatersworld in Frankfurt. I think the would be the nearest shop from Munich, and it´s quite easy to get there with the ICE. They heatmolded and stretched my boots, because my forefoot was too wide .

Just don't go to Eisprinzessin in Innsbruck, please.

I would wear the boots for some time, unless you REALLY now that there is no way for you to skate in them. Normally, boots get a bit wider with use due to the compressing of the foaming. At least my boots did, lol
They take Betriebsferien for the month of April, then are open part time in the summer. Innsbruck is the next closest, Frankfurt is about 4 hours, so it’d be faster to go back to St Pölten. Ugh. I may try the hair dryer tomorrow. I can do about 20 min before I get sharp pain across the toe box of my larger foot, it feels like a couple of my toes need an extra couple mm of space, and there’s not much foam up there. Back on the ice tomorrow, so I’ll see if it improves. 🤞

Friday

Rinkside
They take Betriebsferien for the month of April, then are open part time in the summer. Innsbruck is the next closest, Frankfurt is about 4 hours, so it’d be faster to go back to St Pölten. Ugh. I may try the hair dryer tomorrow. I can do about 20 min before I get sharp pain across the toe box of my larger foot, it feels like a couple of my toes need an extra couple mm of space, and there’s not much foam up there. Back on the ice tomorrow, so I’ll see if it improves. 🤞
Did you but something in your boots after the initial heat molding? Sometimes boots get back to their original state after some time, I think Ic3Rabbit mentioned that it's good to put half a tennis ball (?) into the toebox, so that it doesn't loose it's shape.

I know that Innsbruck is the fastest, but I payed them a visit for my first fitting, didn't get a proper fitting at all and they told me that it takes 24 h to stretch boots. And after that time the boots were all wrong a didn't fit at all.
So I wouldn't go there.

Have you gotten your boote widened? Because I was told that that shortens the boot a bit, because of the stretch sideways. Naturally, a stretch in length would make the boot a bit slimmer.

Where is the pain exactly? All of the toes, only big toe, only small one, pressure form above...?

Maybe @Ic3Rabbit, @tstop4me, @WednesdayMarch can tell you what to do?

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The overall foam lining of the boot compresses some after break-in; so your heel will move back some, allowing a bit more room in your toebox. But if you are having stabbing pain, rather than mild discomfort, you need to do more. Are you able to wiggle your toes freely? It's OK if they lightly brush the inside of the boot, but if they are scrunched, that's not OK.

You don't simply heat the toebox with a hairdryer. You need to spot heat the boot and simultaneously stretch it for best results. That should be done by a tech with experience with Risports. I wouldn't trust a hockey shop. But if you're stuck right now, a good shoe shop can punch out the toebox without heat (you will likely need to leave the boots overnight). It won't be permanent, and will relax back after a while. But it will buy you time until you can get to a proper tech.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Did you but something in your boots after the initial heat molding? Sometimes boots get back to their original state after some time, I think Ic3Rabbit mentioned that it's good to put half a tennis ball (?) into the toebox, so that it doesn't loose it's shape.

I know that Innsbruck is the fastest, but I payed them a visit for my first fitting, didn't get a proper fitting at all and they told me that it takes 24 h to stretch boots. And after that time the boots were all wrong a didn't fit at all.
So I wouldn't go there.

Have you gotten your boote widened? Because I was told that that shortens the boot a bit, because of the stretch sideways. Naturally, a stretch in length would make the boot a bit slimmer.

Where is the pain exactly? All of the toes, only big toe, only small one, pressure form above...?

These days I just go 200 miles to see my fitter, who would stretch/punch out the boots for me. Although I have been known to use boot/shoe stretchers with the little plastic bobble in the relevant tight spot. It helps a bit, but having them punched out properly is by far the best method.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

So I wouldn't go there.

A mini street hockey ball, something that size, I'd say a golf ball but it might be a bit too small.
But you must get a figure skate tech to work on them first (stretch/pop) them out.

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany

So I wouldn't go there.

I did not put something in there after I had them heat molded, I didn’t know that was a thing I should do. They are pushing a bit on my pinkie toe on the side, but the worse spot is my second toe at the tip. All the others touch, but are extended, this one is a bit scrunched.
A mini street hockey ball, something that size, I'd say a golf ball but it might be a bit too small.
But you must get a figure skate tech to work on them first (stretch/pop) them out.
Thanks! I will pop by the sports store today on my way home from the rink and look for a ball. I may be able to make it back to my fitter in a couple weeks, if it’s not better by then.

The overall foam lining of the boot compresses some after break-in; so your heel will move back some, allowing a bit more room in your toebox. But if you are having stabbing pain, rather than mild discomfort, you need to do more. Are you able to wiggle your toes freely? It's OK if they lightly brush the inside of the boot, but if they are scrunched, that's not OK.

You don't simply heat the toebox with a hairdryer. You need to spot heat the boot and simultaneously stretch it for best results. That should be done by a tech with experience with Risports. I wouldn't trust a hockey shop. But if you're stuck right now, a good shoe shop can punch out the toebox without heat (you will likely need to leave the boots overnight). It won't be permanent, and will relax back after a while. But it will buy you time until you can get to a proper tech.
Yeah, the pressure on the side of my pinkie toe is a bit annoying but manageable, the scrunched toe is what worries me. Coupled with the fact that the last rink locally closes at the end of April and then it’s a 2.5 hour drive to the nearest rink.

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Did you try removing the insoles, temporarily, perhaps with a thicker sock than you would normally.

If the fit was ok once then maybe your toes just need some space to recover. The scrunched feelings could maybe be caused by unseen minor injury or swelling that just needs a little time to heal.

I prefer a thinner insole than the one that came with my skates but the side effect is more room in the toe box, and cold feet!
I would do this if thicker socks wouldn't drive me batty. I do wonder if thinner insoles might be a good choice for me. My old skates had thin insoles and I liked it. A friend swears by going barefoot in her skates!

Update: still feeling a touch cramped in the toe box, but I did some more at home breaking in last night (a la @tstop4me's recs), and at my skate today kept them a touch looser than I usually do over the front of my foot, and they did better. Still some tingling, but quite a bit better. I may still get them punched but can probably wait til the local shop reopens in May. Thank you all for the advice and tips! It helped my panic immensely.

Vladik

On the Ice
I'll give you a detailed recipe later on today or tomorrow. Once you get to a higher-end boot, the key is patience. I know that's hard when you've got new toys to play with. But you will simultaneously increase the service life of your boots and decrease the pain to your body. :biggrin: The good news is that you can do at least half of the break-in at home.
Wasn’t sure what to put this in reply to, but figured I’d just throw it in here. Went to Al’s today, got fitted into Risport Royal Pro size 240, with Coronation Ace size 9. In love with them. Tried them in store and he tied them for me and they’re just wonderful.

He taught me how to tie them, and it’s very different to how I tie my current ones. To start, he laced the Royal Pro’s up differently, so the end of the laces sort of come out from underneath. I’m really unsure how to word that. Can always provide a photo comparison if you don’t know what I’m referring to! He also gave me a lace puller, and instructed me on which areas of the boot should be tied tightest and which should be tied a little more loosely. Just tried to tie them at home and yikes! Easier said than done. Cannot seem to tie them correctly nor tight enough for the life of me. I think it’ll just take some getting used to, but it’s definitely more complex and difficult! Just very confused. :(

Overall, I’m super pleased with how it’s all gone, and just wanted to thank you and everybody else for all the advice and help!

Mauve

Rinkside
Country
France
I'm super happy for you, good luck with the breaking in and the new skating life 😉

Friday

Rinkside
Alright, ignoring that. Anyway…

Wasn’t sure what to put this in reply to, but figured I’d just throw it in here. Went to Al’s today, got fitted into Risport Royal Pro size 240, with Coronation Ace size 9. In love with them. Tried them in store and he tied them for me and they’re just wonderful.

He taught me how to tie them, and it’s very different to how I tie my current ones. To start, he laced the Royal Pro’s up differently, so the end of the laces sort of come out from underneath. I’m really unsure how to word that. Can always provide a photo comparison if you don’t know what I’m referring to! He also gave me a lace puller, and instructed me on which areas of the boot should be tied tightest and which should be tied a little more loosely. Just tried to tie them at home and yikes! Easier said than done. Cannot seem to tie them correctly nor tight enough for the life of me. I think it’ll just take some getting used to, but it’s definitely more complex and difficult! Just very confused. :(

Overall, I’m super pleased with how it’s all gone, and just wanted to thank you and everybody else for all the advice and help!
Omg, so happy for you! I hope you have lots of fun with your new boots and blades!

I think you mean the Edea lacing pattern, so lacing from outside to inside. I have that lacing pattern with my skates as well, because it was better during break in.

Vladik

On the Ice
Omg, so happy for you! I hope you have lots of fun with your new boots and blades!

I think you mean the Edea lacing pattern, so lacing from outside to inside. I have that lacing pattern with my skates as well, because it was better during break in.
Thank you!

Perhaps! I’m not really sure. Really difficult to tie though, new laces, new boots? Could be it. Just requires a lot of pulling.

Friday

Rinkside
Thank you!

Perhaps! I’m not really sure. Really difficult to tie though, new laces, new boots? Could be it. Just requires a lot of pulling.
I think when the leather gets a bit softer with use it will be easier. At least I noticed that it became easier for me after two months or so...

Vladik

On the Ice
I think when the leather gets a bit softer with use it will be easier. At least I noticed that it became easier for me after two months or so...
Just have to power through it for now. I remember having this issue with my first skates when I initially got them too. Had to get my mum to tie them for me for about a week. :ROFLMAO:

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Just have to power through it for now. I remember having this issue with my first skates when I initially got them too. Had to get my mum to tie them for me for about a week. :ROFLMAO:
My rink friend just got new skates too, and she and I were both whining about how impossible it is to lace them up. Are you lacing inside to out or outside to in? I lace everything in to out, and noticed my skate tech did for my Risport too. Sounds like yours now is the Edea method? https://edeaskates.com/en/lacing-properly/

Vladik

On the Ice
My rink friend just got new skates too, and she and I were both whining about how impossible it is to lace them up. Are you lacing inside to out or outside to in? I lace everything in to out, and noticed my skate tech did for my Risport too. Sounds like yours now is the Edea method? https://edeaskates.com/en/lacing-properly/
Yes he laced mine the Edea way!!!
Should I keep them like this? I asked him about it and he told me he finds that when laced this way, they don’t come as loose whilst skating. Is this not how the Royal Pros should be laced?

If anybody here has the Royal Pros, would be great if you could let me know which way you lace yours!

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Yes he laced mine the Edea way!!!
Should I keep them like this? I asked him about it and he told me he finds that when laced this way, they don’t come as loose whilst skating. Is this not how the Royal Pros should be laced?

If anybody here has the Royal Pros, would be great if you could let me know which way you lace yours!
I have no clue if there’s a right or wrong way, except for Edea. I’ve always laced all my shoes the other way, and cannot stand them laced the Edea way. I will literally replace shoes in a store before I try them on. (Hello, sensory issues. Also probably why I can only skate in tights…) 😂😂

Vladik

On the Ice
I have no clue if there’s a right or wrong way, except for Edea. I’ve always laced all my shoes the other way, and cannot stand them laced the Edea way. I will literally replace shoes in a store before I try them on. (Hello, sensory issues. Also probably why I can only skate in tights…) 😂😂
Hopefully somebody can answer that for me. I don’t want to lace them wrong, but I can’t stand the Edea way.

I’m the opposite with the tights! If I’m wearing tights to skating, I always have to put socks over them.

Alexatgssw

Spectator
Hopefully somebody can answer that for me. I don’t want to lace them wrong, but I can’t stand the Edea way.

I’m the opposite with the tights! If I’m wearing tights to skating, I always have to put socks over them.
I think you will get used to the Edea way in a couple of weeks. It's tighter and won't come loose so easily as the other way. Purely physics.

It's not exactly the 'Edea' way though they marketed it that way, I've always laced my hiking boots that way (from top to bottom going through eyelets), especially the boots with round-shape laces. It works better.

Vladik

On the Ice
I think you will get used to the Edea way in a couple of weeks. It's tighter and won't come loose so easily as the other way. Purely physics.

It's not exactly the 'Edea' way though they marketed it that way, I've always laced my hiking boots that way (from top to bottom going through eyelets), especially the boots with round-shape laces. It works better.
Thanks! I’ll try it out today, but so far I definitely hate it. :(
Think it’ll take some getting used to!